Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,430 times

Advertisements

Inquiring minds are watching a pair of videos from Southern California. Allegedly, banks acquired brand new homes in foreclosure processes, the homes were not quite finished and the banks razed these homes rather than fix code violations.

Extreme Home Makeover Depression Edition Part 1

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Well, the resident Keynesian retard will tell you that not only are you employing the bulldozer and demolition workers, you've now restricted the supply allowing the artificially inflated values to return.

Voodoo Keynesian witchdoctor "economics" at work

Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
While I don't like to see a home torn down, it does bring up a point that I'd like to ask you folks about.

All those folks who can't afford their resetting mortgages - should the banks be pressured into letting them stay in their homes even if they can't make the increased payments?

The reason I'm asking is because it brings up a situation similar to the one mentioned above - many, many vacant homes around the country. Vacant homes like these (when they are in large numbers) have a detrimental affect on the community. They attract looters and vandals and homeless folks who often trash the place. As they deteriorate they lower property values and quality of life for the people who live nearby.

So, you seem so set to criticise the demolishing of these buildings (rather than just letting them sit and possibly suffering the fate I mentioned above) - so tell me YOUR solution.

I doubt you're in favor of granting the homeowers a "break" on their interest rates - and you've made clear you'll criticise tearing the places down.

So what's the solution to all these thousands of vacant homes slowly (or sometimes not so slowly) deteriorating and thus dragging whole neighborhoods down with them.

Don't be shy.
What's your answer?

Ken

Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
While I don't like to see a home torn down, it does bring up a point that I'd like to ask you folks about.

All those folks who can't afford their resetting mortgages - should the banks be pressured into letting them stay in their homes even if they can't make the increased payments?

The reason I'm asking is because it brings up a situation similar to the one mentioned above - many, many vacant homes around the country. Vacant homes like these (when they are in large numbers) have a detrimental affect on the community. They attract looters and vandals and homeless folks who often trash the place. As they deteriorate they lower property values and quality of life for the people who live nearby.

So, you seem so set to criticise the demolishing of these buildings (rather than just letting them sit and possibly suffering the fate I mentioned above) - so tell me YOUR solution.

I doubt you're in favor of granting the homeowers a "break" on their interest rates - and you've made clear you'll criticise tearing the places down.

So what's the solution to all these thousands of vacant homes slowly (or sometimes not so slowly) deteriorating and thus dragging whole neighborhoods down with them.

Don't be shy.
What's your answer?

Ken
Banks should be selling these homes for literally pennies on the dollar. Not 20% off. 50-75% off. The banks, getting bailed out, have no incentive to do such a thing.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Banks should be selling these homes for literally pennies on the dollar. Not 20% off. 50-75% off. The banks, getting bailed out, have no incentive to do such a thing.
OK, that's an answer (not sure I think it's the best one, but it IS an answer).
I do have to say though that I think these homes already ARE at 50% off (at least in some areas).

Ken

Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Maybe deconstruct the place and donate the materials to charity - I can't view the video so I have no idea if they already stripped out all reusable items (windows, doors, framing lumber, ...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
OK, that's an answer (not sure I think it's the best one, but it IS an answer).
I do have to say though that I think these homes already ARE at 50% off (at least in some areas).

Ken
They need to be discounted to the point where people will buy them. Supply/demand. Economics 101.

If they cost $5,000, bidding wars will start allowing it to rise to its TRUE market value.

The myth that we have to "stop home prices from falling" is just that, a myth. Do people lose their paper equity? You betcha. But, some lucky couple who saved and scrimped for this day will finally bask in the sunshine. That is how capitalism works.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,978 times
I still favor demolition...especially to curb exurban development, and most of these homes would wind up as rental property and would likely turn into exurban slums.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
They need to be discounted to the point where people will buy them. Supply/demand. Economics 101.

If they cost $5,000, bidding wars will start allowing it to rise to its TRUE market value.

The myth that we have to "stop home prices from falling" is just that, a myth. Do people lose their paper equity? You betcha. But, some lucky couple who saved and scrimped for this day will finally bask in the sunshine. That is how capitalism works.
That's not how the "new" capitalism works.. Didn't you get the memo?
I wonder if this is part of the "shovel ready" stimulus jobs that our fearless leader was bragging on...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That's not how the "new" capitalism works.. Didn't you get the memo?
I wonder if this is part of the "shovel ready" stimulus jobs that our fearless leader was bragging on...
It's the Beavis and Butthead (aka Keynesian) form of "economics".

Blow up stuff!! yeah yeah!!! Fire (heh heh) fire!!!! Destroy!!!!

Although there is a resemblence...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies