Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
yeah, I find most people from texas to be nice.. but I certainly wouldn't live there.. it's hot.. flat.. and ugly.. except of course for austin and a few coastal cities...
politically.. it is a pretty diverse place.. just because it comes out red on the map doesn't mean a thing.. which is kind of like idaho.. so I understand.
I just don't really like the weather, and the terrain.. and the culture is a little too over the top for my liking... probably due to it's "southern" flare...
southern accents are cute.. but their bibles and bullsh*t are anything but...
The "Bible-Belt" must go! Once Texas sheds that group then it will become a Democratic state again [it hasn't been that long since Texas was solid Blue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:37 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
As they say........... " Different strokes for Different Folks".
Some love and some hate Texas..... If you hate it don't come here.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The "Bible-Belt" must go! Once Texas sheds that group then it will become a Democratic state again [it hasn't been that long since Texas was solid Blue!
I don't think you would've liked too many of the Texas Democrats back when Texas was solid Blue - they were just as "bible belt" as their GOP counterparts today. For that matter I don't think you'd be fond of many Texas Democrats today - many of them resemble Mike Huckabee in their views.

If you think Texas was more "enlightened" when it was Dem, I urge you to Google the following names: John Nance Garner, Coke Stevenson, Beau Jester, Allan Shivers, Price Daniel....the list goes on and on.

What happened in Texas was that the Texas establishment switched from being Dems to being Republicans gradually. Texas went from a solid Dem state to a Dem state that voted GOP in presidential elections to a swing state to a red state.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 AM

106 posts, read 197,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
yeah, I find most people from texas to be nice.. but I certainly wouldn't live there.. it's hot.. flat.. and ugly.. except of course for austin and a few coastal cities...
politically.. it is a pretty diverse place.. just because it comes out red on the map doesn't mean a thing.. which is kind of like idaho.. so I understand.
I just don't really like the weather, and the terrain.. and the culture is a little too over the top for my liking... probably due to it's "southern" flare...
southern accents are cute.. but their bibles and bullsh*t are anything but...

You should check out North Texas (north of Dallas, not Panhandle) and East Texas. They are beautiful areas and not really all that flat.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Happ, Texas hasn't been solid Blue since about 1980. Before then, TX was controlled by Southern Democrats who were conservative.

On the state level, our Republican leaders are doing a fine, fine job...at least fiscally. I don't think they're going anywhere.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I don't think religious/moral issues are the only reason Texas is a red state. Texas is also fiscally conservative, business friendly and a low tax state.
Being a blue state is overrated. Look at California on the verge of total economic collapse.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I don't think religious/moral issues are the only reason Texas is a red state. Texas is also fiscally conservative, business friendly and a low tax state.
Being a blue state is overrated. Look at California on the verge of total economic collapse.
Thank you.

No Texan I know votes red for social issues....almost all do for fiscal issues. 43rd highest/7th lowest tax burden in the nation, one of 4 states with a surplus right now in the state budget, low unemployment rates in the recession compared to most other states, etc. I think it's working.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
It's a great state but you have to wonder how anyone would be dumb enough to vote for Bush as Governor. Were they that disparate?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I think ya'll blew it not electing Kinky Friedman as Governor

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Texas is so darn big it has to be diverse. A friend of ours worked in Huston for a few years and his family lived in Galveston. He called Huston seven oil refineries in a swamp. Molly Ivan’s Hill country is an entirely different world.

The Democratic Dixicrat conservatives (racists) moved wholesale to the Republicans when Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act. This brought Texas, with all its electoral votes, into the RED zone. As these diehard racists die off, Texas will gradually return to the BLUE side with a respect for individual freedom and responsible government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies