Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,507,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
We must fix not only access to health care, but also torts law.
Lawsuits account for less than 1% of total health care costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,184,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Lawsuits account for less than 1% of total health care costs.
Let's be fair - this is the amount that go to trial

There are far more lawsuits that get settled prior to trial

And those that do go to trial, if a judgment is given to the plaintiff, the compensatory damage awards are not the real problem - it tends to be the punitive damage awards - to "send a message"

As a result, many cases are appealed based on excessive punitive damages and more often than not - the damage award is reduced or almost eliminated - this adds a whole new set of costs with the case.

This is where the reforms will be taking place.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,921,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
Mr. full of Hot Air... It sounds like you live off of your parents and have no idea how the real world is. You have no idea how a business is run. You have no idea what your parents went through to provide for you. That makes me really sad for you.
Live off my parents. What in any of my posts world would make you think that? Obviously you can't read or lack the ability to come to reasonable conclusions, which makes me sad for you. Do you have an opinion on the subject or the thread or do you just make baseless personal attacks because you are not bright enough to make a real argument.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,828,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I hope you are wrong.
I am not asking you to pay for my health care. I am able to provide for myself. I am very lucky. Both of my parents are doctors and I make a very good living for myself and I don't need you. However, I am smart enough to understand that the more people you have participating the lower the cost for everyone. In actuality, it is very likely that you would be paying less for health care (including taxes) than you are paying now. I am not really advocating this to help you out, but I would like to pay less, but I am willing to pay my fair share.
You are absolutely right. It would be a lot cheaper for every tax payer to contribute to a UHC than to get "family" cover in a private health plan. It seems it isn't the cost but the fact that other people will get this golden "chalice" called health care without paying for it. This doesn't seem to apply to other services. Maybe they are afraid that others might get what they have...what a pity. No one in the UK or Canada or Australia etc worries about paying for others health care as they know that the health of the nation is important and shouldn't be a "luxury" item.
Since when did these so called "Americans" come into existance with their selfish me, me,me attitude....pathetic.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 AM

23,158 posts, read 26,104,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Since when did these so called "Americans" come into existance with their selfish me, me,me attitude....pathetic.
When their taxes became high enough ( and knowing it is going to get worse)to start having a harder time paying for their own groceries to cover someone elses...their own mortgage payments because they are covering for those that aren't paying theirs......when their credit card interest rates are going up and their credit lines going down because of the imprudent use by others.....when their health insurance premiums skyrocketed to include coverage for those that have none....when we pay taxes that get sent to somebody else as an EIC to help support the kids we responsibly didn't have......etc etc etc

The simpler and cheaper solution would be for the government to simply assign us another whole family to support.Think of the savings in administrative costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies