Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Obama is not a world leader... he is a god!!!
Before we go to that level we should first just compare him to other leaders in the world.

Obama V Putin

Obama V Ahmadinijad

Obama v Castro

Obama V Chavez

Obama V Sarkozy

Obama V Brown

Obama V Rudd

you get the idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont care who drives, just dont put it in the ditch please.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont care who drives, just dont put it in the ditch please.
Americans better be aware now that this vehicle is out of control heading straight for the edge of the Pacific Palisades.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Let me see, Kim is a totalitarian dictator in a country without a free press. The Pajama article underscores the difference. Even if there are numerous commentators who praise Obama, there are also numerous negative articles on Obama, and the linked article is proof of that. The author of your article won't face death or imprisonment for what he wrote, but in N Korea if someone wrote something like that, they would.

As to the portraits, statues and music glorifying Kim. He poses for them, he commissions them, and people pander to him to curry favor. As for Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus, I have that album at home. Album. Like before CD's (though I've got it on CD also). Came out 20 years ago. Long before Obama started his political career. Wasn't written for Obama or about Obama.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Let me see, Kim is a totalitarian dictator in a country without a free press. The Pajama article underscores the difference. Even if there are numerous commentators who praise Obama, there are also numerous negative articles on Obama, and the linked article is proof of that. The author of your article won't face death or imprisonment for what he wrote, but in N Korea if someone wrote something like that, they would.

As to the portraits, statues and music glorifying Kim. He poses for them, he commissions them, and people pander to him to curry favor. As for Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus, I have that album at home. Album. Like before CD's (though I've got it on CD also). Came out 20 years ago. Long before Obama started his political career. Wasn't written for Obama or about Obama.
Well North Korea did not get like that overnight. If you noticed over the last couple of decades the Government has infringed more and more. Most recently being the DHS memo about the right wing libertarian threat to America. The Patriot act was another step. The creation of the DHS was a step in itself, the Federal Reserve and Treasury controlling the financial markets thereby controlling your financial welfare.Then you have all these nanny laws popping up throughout the nation. It is the Government taking more and more control right before our eyes. It may not seem like much now but all of a sudden we will wake up and will be no different then North Korea.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Well North Korea did not get like that overnight. If you noticed over the last couple of decades the Government has infringed more and more. Most recently being the DHS memo about the right wing libertarian threat to America. The Patriot act was another step. The creation of the DHS was a step in itself, the Federal Reserve and Treasury controlling the financial markets thereby controlling your financial welfare.Then you have all these nanny laws popping up throughout the nation. It is the Government taking more and more control right before our eyes. It may not seem like much now but all of a sudden we will wake up and will be no different then North Korea.
Do you see the disconnect here?

N Korea is ruled by a totalitarian dictator. Things may have gotten progressively worse as Kim has solidified his power, but he's a military leader who has ALWAYS used force to impose his will and his reality on the people of N Korea.

You cannot logically attack Obama as following in the footsteps of Kim, and then refer to the trend as occurring over the past two decades. Obama is not responsible for the passage of the Patriot Act, nor for how it was implemented. The "nanny laws" have been getting passed for a long time. The social programs of previous administrations could have been voted out in the intervening years if the voters had wanted to do so.

If we're going to end up like N Korea, what general are you thinking is going to stage a coup to take over the country and then start celebrating holidays that are all about him? We are vastly different from N Korea. So different that it's unimaginable that we could one day end up even remotely similar.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Do you see the disconnect here?

N Korea is ruled by a totalitarian dictator. Things may have gotten progressively worse as Kim has solidified his power, but he's a military leader who has ALWAYS used force to impose his will and his reality on the people of N Korea.

You cannot logically attack Obama as following in the footsteps of Kim, and then refer to the trend as occurring over the past two decades. Obama is not responsible for the passage of the Patriot Act, nor for how it was implemented. The "nanny laws" have been getting passed for a long time. The social programs of previous administrations could have been voted out in the intervening years if the voters had wanted to do so.

If we're going to end up like N Korea, what general are you thinking is going to stage a coup to take over the country and then start celebrating holidays that are all about him? We are vastly different from N Korea. So different that it's unimaginable that we could one day end up even remotely similar.
I understand- North Korea is ruled by brute military force. Actually they just handed even more power to the military leaders from what I have read. That is not something that will help them.
Anyway I am using North Korea as hyperbole to show that liberties are becoming more limited here.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
I understand- North Korea is ruled by brute military force. Actually they just handed even more power to the military leaders from what I have read. That is not something that will help them.
Anyway I am using North Korea as hyperbole to show that liberties are becoming more limited here.
Hyperbole? No doubt. Thanks for clearing that up. And, as DC at the Ridge has pointed out, liberties have been eroding long before Obama took the reins. Regardless, the imposition of a few taxes and the fawning of a few sycophants still doesn't warrant the insipid comparison of Obama and Kim Jong Il.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Hyperbole? No doubt. Thanks for clearing that up. And, as DC at the Ridge has pointed out, liberties have been eroding long before Obama took the reins. Regardless, the imposition of a few taxes and the fawning of a few sycophants still doesn't warrant the insipid comparison of Obama and Kim Jong Il.
agreed about the long before Obama part. Does that make it right that he continues and accelerates the trend? It is going to be more then a few taxes that pays back his multi trillion dollar deficit.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
agreed about the long before Obama part. Does that make it right that he continues and accelerates the trend? It is going to be more then a few taxes that pays back his multi trillion dollar deficit.
He didn't create the deficit. It isn't his. He's dealing with it though, and yes, sometimes you do have to throw money at the problem. In his estimation, that is the solution. He's hardly the only person to feel this way. It's easy to take a hard line against what he's doing when you're gainfully employed or well-to-do, or both. If you were standing in the breadline, and there was potential for employment, even if it was in construction, you might feel a bit differently.

And before you complain about the extra taxes issue, I have to ask, have you forgotten the golden rule? When did you forget the concept of sharing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies