Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
California is a State full of morons... I remember when they did this to Gray Davis... I said, what's stopping the opposition from just forcing a recall for the next guy? I mean, isn't it clear by now that the issues are deep and institutional? It's not the fault of the governor... the whole system is broken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I remember when they did this to Gray Davis ... I mean, isn't it clear by now that the issues are deep and institutional?
The problems Davis caused were not "deep and institutional." There certainly are problems in California that are deep, and not connected to who's sitting in Sacramento at the time, but Davis was as corrupt as they come and absolutely deserved to be kicked out of office. I don't think the same can be said about Arnold. I don't think he was a good governor, but I think he just wasn't equipped for the job. Davis was a crook - big difference.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ah, yes. Heard this many times. If the Republican messes up, he was not a "true" Republican. He was a Democrat.

Typical Republican mentality, I suppose.
This is why I pledeged never to vote for a Dem or Rep again. America thinks it is sports rivalry- Red vs Blue. Left vs Right. It is not Yankees Redsox people. Meanwhile all the politicians just laugh at us and divide us more because that makes them stronger and the American civilians weaker.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:30 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
This is why I pledeged never to vote for a Dem or Rep again. America thinks it is sports rivalry- Red vs Blue. Left vs Right. It is not Yankees Redsox people. Meanwhile all the politicians just laugh at us and divide us more because that makes them stronger and the American civilians weaker.
...and the partisans ridicule your excellent point as being tin foil hat worthy, and go right back to bickering about abortion, gun control, and where stimulus $$$ should go.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:37 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
...and the partisans ridicule your excellent point as being tin foil hat worthy, and go right back to bickering about abortion, gun control, and where stimulus $$$ should go.
I will wear the tin foil hat proudly and have a conscience that is clean when I leave the voting booth.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Although I agree with you in part, many voters choose a Dem or Rep candidate and vote their conscience. To me, it's not a battle. I just want our country to heal. Not voting certainly doesn't narrow that division about which you write. I realize you didn't say "I never vote" so I won't take your words out of context. I also believe there should be more than 2 parties. But then look at Nadar & the Green Party in 2000. Is he the reason George Bush got into office? In 2000 Nader got over 2.8 million votes, but there was no way he could have won. Some say his supporters would have voted Republican anyway, so it's hard to say, but I think he hurt Gore.

Anyway, IMO the people who post on blogs & forums (including me) often voice strong opinions because of the nature of political message boards. I don't believe the country is as divided as some people think. Most citizens just want to keep their jobs, their homes and raise their kids in a safe world.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
This is stupid. I don't even like Arnold and I know it is stupid as he only has two years left in his final term anyway. Republicans are just upset because Arnold reached a budget deal they have been stonewalling for years. Really, we all know that is what must happen; spending will be cut and the tax rate will rise back up to the level it was for most of the 1990's. Hell, even after the tax rate of the 90's is restored we'll still just be middle of the pack tax wise so it really isn't a big deal.

To balance the budget spending will have to be cut and taxes raised as further obstructionism will only harm the Republicans more as they're down to just 15% of the state's population registered as Republicans. What really needs to happen is we need to restore majority rule as in the 80's the Republicans, via their astroturf front group "The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association", changed the rules so that all spending cuts and/or tax increases require a 2/3rds vote. This has resulted in complete gridlock as the Republicans intended but which harm the people of this state greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies