Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, the American quality of life was better in the 1950s than it is today.
Strongly agree 61 38.85%
Agree 25 15.92%
Neither agree nor disagree 23 14.65%
Disagree 22 14.01%
Strongly disagree 26 16.56%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times

Advertisements

yup, this country was crawling with mexican day laborers in the 50's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Oh without question... the Nigras and the Mixicans knew their place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
... was born in 1980. Maybe I'll ask my Grandfather.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Being able to let your children play in the front yard - and not have to worry about them being kidnapped.

Neighbors talking to Neighbors
I have raised 5 kids and all of them played outdoors, walked to the pool, rec centre and the neighbourhood stores and I never worried about them being kidnapped in the 90s or 00s. People worry too much.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Like other posters, and having been alive and cognizant in the 50's and 60's, I've got to say that NO, things were not "better", at least not for everyone! Maybe, if you were white, middle class, suburban, things were "better" for you. I remember my folks having to "borrow" $100 from a cousin to take me to the hospital, when my appendix burst (10 years old). . . most of the dr.'s bills, i believe were "written off", but you had to pay the hopital. . . My parents both suffered from severe depression, undiagnosed and untreated, and the result was moderate "child abuse". . . .we did not have much to worry about where our physical safety away from home was concerned, and I don't remember ever actually "going hungry". . . but NOTHING was ever wasted, and I'm certain that "having enough" and "paying the bills" was a constant worry. Too many Christmas' when Santa brought "underwear" and other such necessities. . . so. . . those are my memories of the 50's. . . we were likely the "poorest" family in the neighborhood, but Dad owned our home, and even though we had "less than" lots of the other kids (no bicycles, no electric trains, etc.), I don't remember ever feeling particularly deprived. . . that was just the way it was. On the other hand, in the 60's, when i was in 7th, 8th grade, and in H.S., there was a real "uncomfortableness" if I invited a black friend from school over, etc. I hated that, as I hated the fact that Dad sold the house and moved when the "people of color" were close to moving into the "hood". . . . Even as a child, any kind of discrimination made me crazy! I didn't even know about "gay people" till I was in college. . . just not a part of my experience, although, thinking back on it, I most likely had a uncle that was gay!
And then there was my "choice" in college. . . I could be a teacher or a nurse! I have been resenting that for YEARS! I should be a scientist. . . both apptitude and interest -wise. . . . it just wasn't a possiblility for a financially disadvantaged young women without a lot of resourses, way back then

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Do you think the American quality of life was better in the 1950s than it is today?

In some ways, it was better then. In many other ways, it's better now. Each decade has its plusses and minuses. I enjoy my 50s memories, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to go back.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
People worry too much.
Yeah - like the parents here (2 families) who had their children kidnapped from their front yards, one murdered, one sexually assaulted, within the last couple of weeks.

Yeah - we worry too much

Old 05-12-2009, 12:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
better people = better quality of life
no personal responsibility = poor quality of life
everybody thinks its about the money

Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Like other posters, and having been alive and cognizant in the 50's and 60's, I've got to say that NO, things were not "better", at least not for everyone! Maybe, if you were white, middle class, suburban, things were "better" for you. I remember my folks having to "borrow" $100 from a cousin to take me to the hospital, when my appendix burst (10 years old). . . most of the dr.'s bills, i believe were "written off", but you had to pay the hopital. . . My parents both suffered from severe depression, undiagnosed and untreated, and the result was moderate "child abuse". . . .we did not have much to worry about where our physical safety away from home was concerned, and I don't remember ever actually "going hungry". . . but NOTHING was ever wasted, and I'm certain that "having enough" and "paying the bills" was a constant worry. Too many Christmas' when Santa brought "underwear" and other such necessities. . . so. . . those are my memories of the 50's. . . we were likely the "poorest" family in the neighborhood, but Dad owned our home, and even though we had "less than" lots of the other kids (no bicycles, no electric trains, etc.), I don't remember ever feeling particularly deprived. . . that was just the way it was. On the other hand, in the 60's, when i was in 7th, 8th grade, and in H.S., there was a real "uncomfortableness" if I invited a black friend from school over, etc. I hated that, as I hated the fact that Dad sold the house and moved when the "people of color" were close to moving into the "hood". . . . Even as a child, any kind of discrimination made me crazy! I didn't even know about "gay people" till I was in college. . . just not a part of my experience, although, thinking back on it, I most likely had a uncle that was gay!
And then there was my "choice" in college. . . I could be a teacher or a nurse! I have been resenting that for YEARS! I should be a scientist. . . both apptitude and interest -wise. . . . it just wasn't a possiblility for a financially disadvantaged young women without a lot of resourses, way back then
Ya, it all depended on what you were, who you were and, as always, how wealthy you were......I'm sure some have a "Ozzie and Harriet" view of the fifities and sixties but that certainly wasn't everyone.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
I Voted YES..

Although I wasn't alive at the time, from what I've heard from my parents and grandparents, In the 50's there were more jobs in America and a more vibrant middle class.. People looked out for one another and could leave their front doors unlocked without fear that some hoodlums would steal the things that they worked hard for.. People seemed to have more common courtesy towards one another..

Unfortunately there was Segregation in the 1950's, which sort of tarnishes the "Leave it to Beaver" image in my eyes..

However, I believe that Human Nature has become some desensitized due to technology and an increase in the number of people.. Also, many people live beyond their means and have an "I'm Entitled to it" attitude.. People buying their 8 year old kids I-Phones, etc.. Because of this it seems that people have become more and more desensitized and unable to relate to one another on a personal basis.. I wish I could have lived in the days of the conversations on the front porch, the corner store, and Main St in Smalltown USA..

Having grown up in the 80's in an Air Force Town, I saw many of the aspects of my little town change over the last 25 years.. From the "Good Morning How Are You?" attitudes and neighbors bringing over baskets of cookies, etc.. to now with the Air Force based closed, seeing the neighborhood where I grew up in decorated in gang graffiti and finding out that the old timers that helped make the neighborhood a pleasant place, passed on to be replaced by less respectful more self-centered younger people and people from other countries that want to bring their old neighborhoods with them.. I'm sure that it's like this in many other communities and towns throughout the U.S..

I'm just scared to see what will happen in 20 years..

*sigh*..

Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yeah - like the parents here (2 families) who had their children kidnapped from their front yards, one murdered, one sexually assaulted, within the last couple of weeks.

Yeah - we worry too much
I hear those kind of things almost never. Very rarely. Yes it does happen but lots of things happen. Kids drown, get ran over, fall out of trees and sometimes bad things happen. You cannot hide your kids in the house all their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies