Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, the American quality of life was better in the 1950s than it is today.
Strongly agree 61 38.85%
Agree 25 15.92%
Neither agree nor disagree 23 14.65%
Disagree 22 14.01%
Strongly disagree 26 16.56%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
But Mike, you voted that you "strongly agree" that things were better in the 1950s.
Well then, I hit the wrong button.

Senior moments ....I sometime string several of them together in one marvelous stream of consistent incongruity... and then some...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
The 50's was the climax of American life in reference to overall prosperity. We are in the descent right now.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
The 50's was the climax of American life in reference to overall prosperity. We are in the descent right now.
A decade of stabliity between the end of WWII and the sexual revolution.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
IF the 1950's were really anything like Leave It To Beaver, Ozzie and Harriet, I Love Lucy, Honeymooners, etc., then I give it a resounding yes. TV shows have been known to reflect the times fairly accurately in context. A simpler life indeed, it seems.
Quote:
One third of all children in the 1950's lived in poverty. One in four Americans lived below the poverty line. The greatest increase in unwed motherhood occurred between 1940 and 1958, when it tripled.

Source (http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/subtemplate.php?t=education&ext=mythsedu - broken link)

Alfred Kinsey's reports on human sexuality, published in 1948 and 1953, respectively, contained some shocking revelations: a whopping 46% of men reported being attracted to members of both sexes, and 37% had at least one homosexual experience; approximately 50% of all males and 26% of all females cheated on their spouses or live-in partners (yes, even at that time, some couples cohabited without marriage) at some time in their lives; 12% of females and 22% of males experienced arousal in response to sadomasochistic stories.

"Simpler times" and "prosperity" indeed. Life was never like a TV show.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
The 60's brought about feminism at warp speed, alienating many women from a stable relationship. Sadly, many women succumb to the peer pressure from their bitter girlfriends and allow their biological clocks to tick away, ending up alone and miserable.

I can give a big fat raspberry to those women 'cause I'm getting married soon

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Having lived through the 50's, we have a lot more things today. It was a little difficult to make cell phone calls back then, many folks shared land phone lines with their neighbors (called party lines). Video games weren't very robust, actually they weren't. Turning on the air conditioning in your car was a challenge, actually had to take a tray of ice cubes and sit them in front of the dashboard air vents. Also, just to hack at a few items, you watched a black and white TV with three channels, assuming your rabbit ears brought them in clearly.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Well, I only managed to get in on the last three months of the fifties. Can't say I remember any of it however.
I still voted strongly agree. Undeniable war hero, and patriot as president, the unchallenged strongest country on the planet, a strong economy, strong family units. Some of the coolest cars ever, and oooooh those beautiful bull nosed Chris Craft. No space race, no obtrusive technology, and everything(appeared to have) had a feeling of positive forward movement. What a time it must have been.........

Old 05-11-2009, 09:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. Massive prosperous middle class. Would have loved to live during that period of America's heyday
Probably easy to say that if you're a white male hetero.

Not sure that most nonwhites, women, or gays would agree with you.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The 60's brought about feminism at warp speed, alienating many women from a stable relationship. Sadly, many women succumb to the peer pressure from their bitter girlfriends and allow their biological clocks to tick away, ending up alone and miserable.

I can give a big fat raspberry to those women 'cause I'm getting married soon
And you sound so charming! How lucky your future wife is.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
It would be interesting to do a different poll that only people who were alive in the 50's are allowed to vote in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies