Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, the American quality of life was better in the 1950s than it is today.
Strongly agree 61 38.85%
Agree 25 15.92%
Neither agree nor disagree 23 14.65%
Disagree 22 14.01%
Strongly disagree 26 16.56%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you weren't black, a woman, asian or an immigrant, maybe.
I think some women liked the 50's. They were awarded with such conviniences as vaccuums and dishwashers and laundry machines . What more could one ask for?

At any rate, there weren't many non-black immigrants in America at that time, so they weren't "suffering" then because they just did not really exist at that point. And I would argue that the lives of African Americans were better then than it is now (there wasn't so much inner city crime and inner city poverty was significantly lower).

Who wouldn't love a society where the middle class made up like 95% of the population? I would love that structure in todays society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you had, you probably would have turned out very differently - maybe even a hippie.
Well, I would have gotten to go to an integrated school since it would have been the 60's. That would have been cool.

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I think some women liked the 50's. They were awarded with such conviniences as vaccuums and dishwashers and laundry machines . What more could one ask for?

Who wouldn't love a society where the middle class made up like 95% of the population? I would love that structure in todays society.
Something tells me that was not the case in the 1950's. My own family tells me that, in fact. My grandmother was a single mom raising 6 children in the 40's and 50's. Dirt poor.

My mother went to segregated schools. She still, to this day, uses the words "negro" and "colored."

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes,I'm white. I never heard of druggies or drive-bys where people are killed in the streets. Now it seems to be going on all summer long. I wonder what black people think of their society now as compared to the 50s. That would be interesting. I wonder if they visited with neighbors in the evening and could walk the streets and not worry.
Visit with their neighbors in the evening? There were curfews for blacks in many towns.

There was a black cheerleader at my mother's high school. The poor girl couldn't even attend some of the games because the towns didn't allow blacks to be out in public at night.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
You're dreaming. In the mid-1950s, 1/3 of the children in America lived in poverty and 25% of families were considered poor.

Contemporary Families (http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/subtemplate.php?t=education&ext=mythsedu - broken link)

Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yes,I'm white. I never heard of druggies or drive-bys where people are killed in the streets. Now it seems to be going on all summer long. I wonder what black people think of their society now as compared to the 50s. That would be interesting. I wonder if they visited with neighbors in the evening and could walk the streets and not worry.
Emmett Till certainly wasn't able to do this.

emmett till - Google Image Search

The History of Jim Crow

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
cant speak for 1950 too well but i think so.
1969 for sure. huge real income reduction in 40 years.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,295 times
Not for me it wouldn't have been.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I wasn't around back then but my grandparents were, and from stories they have told it was pretty tough back then. Nearly everyone in my family was poor back then, and I don't think they joined the "middle class" until the 60's. I have old black and white pictures and all of the men looked beat down and tired because they had to work long hours of hard physical labor to feed the family. My great grandparents bought the land I live on today back in 1946, they had to farm and sell vegetables and dairy at a roadside stand just to make the land payments. They lived in a four room house and I don't think they ever enjoyed air conditioning.

Despite all of that, I do think that some things probably were better back then. Children probably respected their parents more, I know if my parents would have spoken to my grandparents like I hear kids talking today they wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week. People back then knew how to cook good food from scratch, versus many today that only know how to take a frozen entree out of the freezer. The 50's were probably great for people in urban and suburban areas, but people in rural areas and small towns had it hard.

I think many of us miss the times we grew up in, I grew up in the 80's so naturally I think it was better then. lol

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM

That perfect suburban life. Ahhhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies