Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The new White House economic forecast contains more than one stunning revelation. Tops on our list is that no net new jobs are expected this year, even as the economy recovers.

One of President Obama's campaign pledges was to "create or save" more than three million jobs in his first two years in office — not all that ambitious considering the economy has created 1.5 million jobs annually since 1980.

Well, so far this year, 1.9 million jobs have been swallowed by the recession. So he's already nearly five million jobs in the hole.
Reminds me of that old commercial with the little old ladies: "Where's the beef?" (What company was that, anyway?)

I see job fairs all over the place, but is anyone hiring? I honestly don't know. And I thank God everyday I'm not on a job search. But what about the folks who are/were depending on Mr. Obama's campaign message of "Hope" and "Change?" Is Mr. Obama holding out on his promises of hiring, waiting until the country is in the pits, and then saying, "well, sorry, I can't give you the jobs I promised?" Or something/anything to that effect.

Surely one of you fellows on the left has a plan, if Mr. Obama's doesn't work out, eh?

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- What About Jobs? (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=326933960257860 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Most of the money went to the banksters. The little that will go to infrastructure is already spoken for and won't create any "new" jobs. But there's plenty of golf courses, historic farmhouses, little travelled roads and the like getting fixed up on our dime.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Reminds me of that old commercial with the little old ladies: "Where's the beef?" (What company was that, anyway?)

I see job fairs all over the place, but is anyone hiring? I honestly don't know. And I thank God everyday I'm not on a job search. But what about the folks who are/were depending on Mr. Obama's campaign message of "Hope" and "Change?" Is Mr. Obama holding out on his promises of hiring, waiting until the country is in the pits, and then saying, "well, sorry, I can't give you the jobs I promised?" Or something/anything to that effect.

Surely one of you fellows on the left has a plan, if Mr. Obama's doesn't work out, eh?

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- What About Jobs? (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=326933960257860 - broken link)
It was Wendy's fast food that had the classic "Where's the Beef?" commercial! Funny, even to this day!

Bernanke says the economy will begin a slow recovery by the end of this year, but doesn't plan to see employment recover until well into 2010. Our economy is built on many different components, but I don't see how an economy can grow at any measurable percentage if employment remains in deficit territory. I know that's a pretty simplistic approach, I just have a hard time imagining anything prosperous with so many people still out of work.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 05-11-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ug75diEyiA0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ug75diEyiA0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good point!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM

YouTube link didn't work...oops!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Reposted for everyone's enjoyment - classic commercial:

YouTube - Where's the Beef

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,487 times
For those that do have decent paying jobs. Unless their is a threat of being laid off- please keep spending as long as you are living within your means. Go buy a Ford or do some home renovations, Fly on your domestic/International Air Carriers and don't buy everything at Walmart lol..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
For those that do have decent paying jobs. Unless their is a threat of being laid off- please keep spending as long as you are living within your means. Go buy a Ford or do some home renovations and don't buy everything at Walmart lol..
Funny you mention buying a Ford....I've never been a fan of Ford..and I currently drive a Toyota SUV...but in the current economic climate I would definitely buy a Ford over any other domestic automaker! Something about a government warranty on my muffler (GM/Chrysler) is not all that reassuring!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Funny you mention buying a Ford....I've never been a fan of Ford..and I currently drive a Toyota SUV...but in the current economic climate I would definitely buy a Ford over any other domestic automaker! Something about a government warranty on my muffler (GM/Chrysler) is not all that reassuring!
Ford has done the most in addressing the quality issues that have hampered the image of U.S automakers. They are worth a second look these days for those with objectivity. I drive a Honda and it's still in good shape so i'm not in the market for a new vehicle, but when I am i'll be looking at Ford first. This summer i'm going to take a vacation in the U.S.
I refuse to buy into doom and gloom and encourage everyone to do the same - screw swine flu too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies