Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times

Advertisements

The hocus pocus voodoo Keynesian "economics" stimulus money that appeared out of akin to running a plane on reserve power rather than allowing it to land, temporarily decommissioned, taken in for repairs and certified for flight again. Sooner rather than later, those reserves will be gone and there will be no alternative but to make a crash landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
the sudden collapse of the economy was due to the housing collapse which in turn caused the collapse of the banks which in turn caused the stockmarket to crash. The Stockmarket is not the driver.
That's true, but the housing collapse had been going on for a couple of years and the economy - though ALREADY in recession by early last year - was not particularly hard hit until the market collapsed. It IS true the bank crises brought about the market collapse but - as with with ALL major stock market collapses - PANIC was the true culprit there - driving the collapse of stocks from being mainly focused on financial stocks to being a general across the board collapse of stocks.

Panic has subsided a bit now and the banks are apparently stablized - hence the markets are up.

Ken

Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
we are about on track for the recession to be over. it has nothing to do with the politicians, but more to do with the natural progression of a recession.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
we are about on track for the recession to be over. it has nothing to do with the politicians, but more to do with the natural progression of a recession.
I agree with you about nothing to do with politicians. But this is not an ordinary recession. The last recessions did not see the effects in all sectors of the economy. This one hit everything hard. Real Estate , banks, service, manufacturing, etc...

Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM

This is like 1930 all over again. Fake recovery from 1929 crash, new found euphoria. I'm telling you that the next year or two will see a dramatic shift to more negative news.

But, then again...what do I know? I just predicted the housing bubble burst and the demise of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac (search for this prediction from Feb 2008).

Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
This is like 1930 all over again. Fake recovery from 1929 crash, new found euphoria. I'm telling you that the next year or two will see a dramatic shift to more negative news.

But, then again...what do I know? I just predicted the housing bubble burst and the demise of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac (search for this prediction from Feb 2008).
Um - you do know that the housing bubble had ALREADY collapsed by Feb of 2008 don't you? It wasn't done falling yet (nor is it now) but it was ALREADY in collapse - and everyone knew it. From there on out (just as now) it was just a matter of predicting WHEN the bottom would be hit.

"Feb. 9 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. home prices will reach bottom by the end of the year, concluding a slide that will have cut values 36 percent, Moody’s Economy.com said today. "

U.S. Housing Market May Bottom in 2009, Zandi Says (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Ken

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um - you do know that the housing bubble had ALREADY collapsed by Feb of 2008 don't you? It wasn't done falling yet (nor is it now) but it was ALREADY in collapse - and everyone knew it. From there on out (just as now) it was just a matter of predicting WHEN the bottom would be hit.

"Feb. 9 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. home prices will reach bottom by the end of the year, concluding a slide that will have cut values 36 percent, Moody’s Economy.com said today. "

Ken
My housing bubble prediction was back in 2005, accessible on usenet forums before I joined CD. That's ok though, I don't expect you to take me at face value.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
enough with the might or maybe statements. The fact is very few will be right about the "bottom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies