Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, the request was not from the Administration. It was a bi-partisan group of members of Congress and the Senate. And our report was done as such and it is a Democrate chairing the Senate Finance commitee

OK but it seems that bipartisanship is out the window now and Obama seems to be a big government person to me. I am skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
OK but it seems that bipartisanship is out the window now and Obama seems to be a big government person to me. I am skeptical.
The bill being crafted will actually have minimal gov't involvment (should it stay in its present form).

There will be some "housekeeping issues"; tort reform, opening up insurance pools across state lines, requiring Ins Co's to take Pre-existing (which some are now starting to do as they see the handwritting on the wall) etc.

IMHO, BOTH parties want this to happen - they need to for the 2010 elections and then for the 2012 election.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The bill being crafted will actually have minimal gov't involvment (should it stay in its present form).

There will be some "housekeeping issues"; tort reform, opening up insurance pools across state lines, requiring Ins Co's to take Pre-existing (which some are now starting to do as they see the handwritting on the wall) etc.

IMHO, BOTH parties want this to happen - they need to for the 2010 elections and then for the 2012 election.
I hope you are right.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I hope you are right.

Ah, I hope I'm right too!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Yes doctors in general are smarter than lawyers. Which is more difficult to get into law school or medical school?

By the way, you are quite the wordsmith!

Oh and check this out.

Study reveals lawyers’ IQs are more in line with mere mortals’ | Features | The Lawyer
You of course have facts to back up your assumption. Do you have any idea as to the requirements to get into law school versus med school.

I will do us both a favor and not post your comment on a lawyer website.

The fact is that you will need better than average intelligence to do either one. I am glad you have such a handle on the intelligence of lawyers versus doctors since that topic has been vastly debated. I am just in awe of your knowledge.

Getting back on topic. The fact of the matter is that research scientist are known to be the smartest group. In my opinion, the people that we need to be doctors are intelligent people who care about patients and are not just motivated by greed.

If money was the only determining factor to get the most qualified person, we would not cap the salary of the president of the United States. It is simply a myth that money is the primary determinant in whether, on average, a person takes a certain job, which means that just like the other countries it would not be a problem in recruiting Doctors from the best and the brightest.

The real important thing is that Doctor's salaries are only a very small part of the cost of health care. The fact is that Insurance costs and what the hospitals charge are a much larger part of the equation. A doctor may spend fifteen minutes of time with a patient and be reinbursed by the hospital for $100 but the hospital charges the patient or insurance carrier $500, but pay for doctors is a factor.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 62,087 times
Mr hot air... we had all these discussions before... the life expectancy really isn't that different than other developed countries. Have you even looked it up? We are at 78 and the EU average is 78.7. We also have more violent crimes and have a less healthy diet and exercise routine.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Personally, I completely oppose ANY rule/regulation/law etc that would limit the amount of income anyone can earn.

While it is very nice to say / think that a doctor should be more concerned with their patients well being than income, that smacks of wanting to limit the Physicans income.

Remember - a Doctor is not only a Doctor - they are a Business Person - they are in business to make money - as much money as they want to.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM

48 posts, read 62,087 times
Quote:
If money was the only determining factor to get the most qualified person, we would not cap the salary of the president of the United States. It is simply a myth that money is the primary determinant in whether, on average, a person takes a certain job, which means that just like the other countries it would not be a problem in recruiting Doctors from the best and the brightest.
I'm pretty sure the majority of people in America are motivated by money. The President of the US will make more money than you will ever know by giving speeches at universities and such. Our current pres has already started doing that. Plus they write books, etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Don't give up on Univeral Health Coverage. Now is the time to push your congressman or woman into action. The big four, AMA, Insurance, hospitals, and the pharms are fighting hard with both money and disinformation to try to lobby congress to prevent this. To get elected congress needs your votes. If the Democrats are not going to put Universal Health Coverage in Place, we may as well have Republicans in office. Make this the most important issue. Push hard!!!

Don't accept anything less than Universal single payer insurance. This is the plan that has worked in Europe. Under this system there can be individual health insurance, but that is not paid by the employers or the government. 99% of persons medical care will be paid by the government...taxes. The system cuts out all of the insurance companies (middleman profits), hospitals and doctors are government employees. All of the people who say it does not work simply don't know the facts, which is understandable because of the amount of misinformation and fear mongering done by the big four. It does work. The statistics tell the truth. Look up the actual numbers. Don't take my word for it. Do the research. Look at information from objective sources, which does not include persons representing the interests of the big four.

I know some people won't read the link below because it is from the daily Kos (liberal), but look up your own information if you don't like the source.

6 myths about Universal Health care.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation
And I sure do hope that it does get blocked. Hell, I can't imagine this country with the elderly dying right and left and people having to wait forever for operations that are absolutely necessary and on and on. I am sorry but anyone who wants national healthcare really doesn't care for the country or the constitution or the other citizens of the country.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
Mr hot air... we had all these discussions before... the life expectancy really isn't that different than other developed countries. Have you even looked it up? We are at 78 and the EU average is 78.7. We also have more violent crimes and have a less healthy diet and exercise routine.
Yes not that much difference on life expectancy, but we pay so much more and get less. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies