Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

How does anyone belly ache about a voluntary tax?

The state lotteries, more appropriately looteries, and nothing but a tax on the bad at math.

Now they are talking about a big tax on non-diet soda, again a voluntary tax

Tobacco tax, 100% voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If you want the clip of W making a speech which in effect was tossing money away to Wall Street with all but guaranteed housing for anyone who could fog a mirror, I'll try to find it for you. I've posted the link a couple of times before.

Bush and Crew had the whole enchilada at their disposal for over six years, and did nothing to regulate anything. if anything, they added fuel to the fire. The democrats had nothing to do with the policies of that period, period, because they had no power.

If the democrats actions prior to that were so bad, why weren't the laws changed by the Bush admin? Gross stupidity? Mismanagement?

I vote for "Both hands in the cookie jar".
sorry, you are wrong again. the dems required banks to loan money to poor people with bad credit. see below:

YouTube - EVIDENCE FOUND!!! Clinton administration's "BANK AFFIRMATIVE ACTION" They forced banks to make BAD LOANS and ACORN and Obama's tie to all of it!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,613 times
Someone made a good point.

Democrat operatives say this isn't a tax on the poor since smoking is optional. So now that Dems can tax "optional" things, what else can they tax?

-Fast food
-Organic food (Have you seen the price of Arugula before taxes? )
-Driving
-Soda/Pop/Coke
-Brand name clothing
-Computers
-Cell phones
-Houses over 200 sq ft per person

So he could technically increase your taxes massively, but as long as you don't need it to survive, it isn't really a tax...

I hope you all know that the poor and middle class aren't going to get their taxes raises by the Boy President, but they will be paying way more in taxes. Got it?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,255 times
I just came from the corner store. Name brand cigarettes were $5.25 a pack. The store owner said the price was going up another dollar next week He mentioned he was from NY and that a carton was ............wait for it...........................$95.00 a carton.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
I just came from the corner store. Name brand cigarettes were $5.25 a pack. The store owner said the price was going up another dollar next week He mentioned he was from NY and that a carton was ............wait for it...........................$95.00 a carton.
Hooooly crap, that is insane. I thought it was bad here, I think it's like maybe $50. a carton now, depending on the brand.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Wowee! Makes me glad I don't smoke. Even if I did, though, I could buy cigs on the reservation.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Here's a picture from Houston Streel in NYC back in June of last year.

Out on the NJ turnpike the convenience stores were getting $12.00.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/femichel/NYday3121.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Here's a picture from Houston Streel in NYC back in June of last year.

Out on the NJ turnpike the convenience stores were getting $12.00.
Okay, but I wanna know about the "sandwish" - is this a New York regional delicacy?

Seriously, any convenience store will have higher prices. And any little bodega in NYC is going to be priced through the roof on everything.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
sorry, you are wrong again. the dems required banks to loan money to poor people with bad credit. see below:
Here is W making his Home Ownership speech on June 17, 2002.

About 30 seconds into this clip he starts giving money ($400 million) away to people who should never have been able to purchase a home.

YouTube - Home Ownership and President Bush

Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,417 times
Default I don't think you get it Chielgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm vegetarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Because I choose how I want to spend my money.
Pretty simple. The universe doesn't care about you, it's not personal.

If X is the price for Y, and I don't want to spend X, I don't get Y.
He's a smoker, you're a vegetarian. If the cost of your produce increased $100 a month, would you still be a vegetarian? Are you saying you wouldn't care? I bet you would. That's the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies