Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your smoking problem and others like you will cost taxpayers much more than $50/month to pay for your medical expenses through Medicare.

The Price of Smoking - The MIT Press
Medicare should only be available to people who have never smoked in their lives and are in good shape physically for the majority of their lives as well.
If lionking wants to smoke then let him. It's his choice, and my only disagreement here. Is that republicans are far much more the problem then the democrats and that is saying a lot. Im an independent, so you'll never find me siding with either party much less extremists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post

And to blame the republicans for this huge economic mess is foolish also. What about the Democrats that blocked any kind of regulation of the banking and mortgage industry way back in 2003? What about Barney Frank standing there in front of Congress, saying "Even if the banking industry did get in trouble, it's not like we would bail them out"?
Why do you dolts keep repeating this crap? Who was in charge of the GOP in 03? Who had a rubber stamp Congress during this time? How would a minority party "block" Congress?

Use your brain for once, and quit repeating lies you saw youtube. THINK!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
some lifestyles are expensive. skiing, boating, drinking, smoking... If you can't afford it, you have the option to quit.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
^And using hookers too. Getting caught and having to pay the fines and court is hell of a expensive amount. Plus the hookers too. They can be pretty expensive. 75$ for an hour of sex! With a condom on too.

But really sex and drugs shouldn't be as expensive as boating and skiing that actually involve a lot more than creating cigs.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
$50 a month? Wow! My heart pumps Kool-Aid.

On the other hand, millions of people have lost much, much more - home and stock values - thanks to the Republicans.

Well hell, I've heard talks of taxing women getting their hair and nails done. Now i'm really upset. Guess i'll buy a wig

Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
'Hmmm.... I don't make 6 figuire income yet Democrats are directly responsible for making this middleclass boy (me) $50 a month poorer due to their tobacco tax and now I hear they are passing another tobacco tax?

And please don't tell me "just don't smoke"......no it is Democrats who took $50 a month out of my lifestyle.And what is this I hear about them wanting to pass a "carbon" tax that would make everybodies power bill go up?

Seems to me rich people won't be effected by their taxes though huh?,Rich people don't care if they have to pay more for power or cigarettes.......
How many times did the tobacco taxes go up under Bush?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
some lifestyles are expensive. skiing, boating, drinking, smoking... If you can't afford it, you have the option to quit.
Well duh.Yeah some lifestyles are expensive so I don't do it like flying to Europe on a whime and such.However there is a effort underway to make smoking unaffordable,big difference than just because I don't make enough to support a lifestyle.Is there a effort underway to make boating or airplanes unaffordable?......UGH NO.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE:::

The OP says he's paying an extra $50/month. The cigarette tax went up by $0.62 per pack, so by his counting he's buying over 80 packs per month! Almost 3 packs per day.

If he is smoking less than 3 per day maybe his retailer jacked the price up coincidental with the tax increase.

Just saying, check the math.

golfgod

Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE:::

The OP says he's paying an extra $50/month. The cigarette tax went up by $0.62 per pack, so by his counting he's buying over 80 packs per month! Almost 3 packs per day.

If he is smoking less than 3 per day maybe his retailer jacked the price up coincidental with the tax increase.

Just saying, check the math.

golfgod
Typical GOP math....

Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Evil greedy Americans running their automobiles,running their heaters and AC choking up the air costing untold people health problems from their evil greedy selfish ways deserve to pay pay pay out their a$$ in taxes to make right to those not fortunate enough to own a car or AC yet suffer from their evil greedy fumes.......

See how easy it is to turn all of you into demonized selfish pigs who deserve to pay pay pay for your chosen lifestyle of owning a car and using air conditioners?

Hey....just don't drive and use AC.....you don't need them.
If those activities have enough externalities they should be taxed appropriately, I don't see what the issue is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies