Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are an utter waste of valuable resources and time.

Another year and another Beauty Pageant broohaha! Why do they consume so much of our attention? Shouldn't these "contest" be relegated to the dust bin of history already?
I wish pageants were done and gone, along with the sleazy people who run them, and that includes Trump the Chump, who just eats it up when he gets millions in free publicity. When primitive cultures like Al Queda and the Taliban look at stuff like this, there's no wonder why they consider us infidels, and no wonder why the rest of the world is constantly laughing at the pitiful circus that America has become thanks to the religious right's war on GLBT types, but it's their biggest fund raiser, so look for this piece of the culture wars to continue. The rest of the nation just wants to MOVE ON and deal with real issues like energy, health care and transport.

Many years ago I had hopes that the women's movement would enlighten the country enough to do away with booty pageants. I was even a member of the N.O.W. for several years until they abandoned mainstream women's issues in favor of gay/lesbian issues. I even wore an E.R.A. bracelet. We do have a lot more women in the military, they can pull a trigger as well as anyone, but the broader equality I was looking for is still out on the horizon.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:

Another year and another Beauty Pageant broohaha! Why do they consume so much of our attention? Shouldn't these "contest" be relegated to the dust bin of history already?
Right on all counts. But you know how things work: as long as they can get sponsors to shell out the bucks, there will be "beauty pageants." Although in all honesty, you can take a walk down the main street in your hometown and see just as many beautiful women as you will in the pageants--and most of them aren't anywhere near as pretentious!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Trust me
Only if I can verify.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
it's as american as apple pie... if there's an audience for it.. then let it be...
I'd like to see more mr. USA competitions.. something with beauty that doesn't involve boobs, and girls...
men are just as beautiful, and frankly there's more angles to the male physique, female is blah and basically consists of boobs buns and hair.. it's really tired and played out.. lets see some hottie guys now...of course I'm biased though.. but there you have it...hahaha...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
it's as american as apple pie... if there's an audience for it.. then let it be...
I'm all for letting it be, but when stories of the latest pageant contestant "scandal" dominates the news, I have to say enough is enough. The pronouncements of pageant contestants, be they left, right or center, have no more import than the pronouncements of Joe the Plumber - oh god what am I saying!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
I'm all for letting it be, but when stories of the latest pageant contestant "scandal" dominates the news, I have to say enough is enough. The pronouncements of pageant contestants, be they left, right or center, have no more import than the pronouncements of Joe the Plumber - oh god what am I saying!!!
don't get me wrong, i totally agree, but so long as there's an audience, it's a free country and people can lap it up all day long if thats what serves them...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
don't get me wrong, i totally agree, but so long as there's an audience, it's a free country and people can lap it up all day long if thats what serves them...
Well I can't argue with that, it is their First Amendment right but do the rest of us (see media) have to jump through hoops upon their every breath and that includes that poor girl from South Carolina who flubbed her response a few years ago.

Wake me up when a beauty pageant contestant says something profound, now that would be news.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Pageants are fun - nothing wrong with them at all. And there is nothing wrong with woman wanting to participate in them either -

Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
What "valuable resources" and time?

What are you talking about?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I wish pageants were done and gone, along with the sleazy people who run them, and that includes Trump the Chump, who just eats it up when he gets millions in free publicity. When primitive cultures like Al Queda and the Taliban look at stuff like this, there's no wonder why they consider us infidels, and no wonder why the rest of the world is constantly laughing at the pitiful circus that America has become thanks to the religious right's war on GLBT types, but it's their biggest fund raiser, so look for this piece of the culture wars to continue. The rest of the nation just wants to MOVE ON and deal with real issues like energy, health care and transport.

Many years ago I had hopes that the women's movement would enlighten the country enough to do away with booty pageants. I was even a member of the N.O.W. for several years until they abandoned mainstream women's issues in favor of gay/lesbian issues. I even wore an E.R.A. bracelet. We do have a lot more women in the military, they can pull a trigger as well as anyone, but the broader equality I was looking for is still out on the horizon.
I am also amazed that so many people still support these ridiculous parades of superficiality and give any credence to women who let themselves be so objectified. They're cheap and disgusting spectacles....like mud wrestling midgets.

I get that same disgusted feeling when I hear people comment on how much hotter Fox reporters (often former beauty queens) are than women on other networks. It may be true, but it only signifies that FOX makes a practice of hiring more young eye candy instead of seasoned talented journalists. Not something a person with a healthy attitude toward women would find acceptable.

As a mother of a young daughter, I'd like to at least be able to think that we are beginning to move away from the junk culture that values a woman's appearance as much as her brain but unfortunately, it seems we are actually regressing in some ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies