Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times

Advertisements

You know, I'm tired of people crying about how they don't have "healthcare" when most people don't even take care of there on health or value it!

Lets see; every Fri, Sat, Sun night you have millions of Americans who hit the bars and drink colored poison in ice.

2. Millions of people smoke/chew tobacco which is more addictive then many street drugs and causes cancer.

3. Million of people eat the garbage that's served in fast foods and large chain supermarkets that once use to be real food (1950's) but has now been replaced with artificial flavors, genetically modified food and non grass fed cattle.

4. The T.V, Movies, and Video games have pretty much replaced all outdoor activity's.

5. Americans give there body little/no rest as the U.S takes the least amount of vacation time in order to work more hours.

I could go on but you get the idea; so what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
You know, I'm tired of people crying about how they don't have "healthcare" when most people don't even take care of there on health or value it!

Lets see; every Fri, Sat, Sun night you have millions of Americans who hit the bars and drink colored poison in ice.

2. Millions of people smoke/chew tobacco which is more addictive then many street drugs and causes cancer.

3. Million of people eat the garbage that's served in fast foods and large chain supermarkets that once use to be real food (1950's) but has now been replaced with artificial flavors, genetically modified food and non grass fed cattle.

4. The T.V, Movies, and Video games have pretty much replaced all outdoor activity's.

5. Americans give there body little/no rest as the U.S takes the least amount of vacation time in order to work more hours.

I guess I am guilty of the number 3 thing since I don't have a chance to get unadulterated foods at my only grocery store in our tiny town. Of course, my wife who is a food nut tries to keep us from eating too much false crap.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess I am guilty of the number 3 thing since I don't have a chance to get unadulterated foods at my only grocery store in our tiny town. Of course, my wife who is a food nut tries to keep us from eating too much false crap.
If that is it. You are doing pretty well.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Somewhere in the development of Western medicine, the sovereignty we had over our own bodies was lost to the "authority" of the medical establishment. We saw our own bodies as too complex to understand and turned to the authority of doctors to "save" us. In turn, we became victims. We believed that disease was out to get us, that we could not protect ourselves, and that we needed pharmaceuticals and doctor's diagnoses and advice to set us straight. We became pawns in a grand scheme of profit. Now, we suffer needlessly as they rake in the cash and maintain power over us.

We simultaneously divorced ourselves from our sources of nourishment, instead relying on packaged products manufactured god knows where by machines that replace nutrition with chemicals that promote even more consumption. All for profit at the expense of our overall health.

Additionally, we've given over our minds to various forms of electronic manipulation that imprisons us to the idea that we are all powerless, our bodies are not strong enough to heal themselves (despite having handled the last few million years without any of these modern drugs), and that it's OK to pay for something that is really free for the asking.

We are out of our minds and out of our bodies and we are the weakest we've ever been in the history of humanity. Until we realize that we know our bodies better than anyone else, that those same wonderful bodies have the capacity to heal themselves, that illness serves the purpose of pointing out what we're doing wrong, that food that comes from the Earth is the only way to sustain ourselves, we will remain the guinea pigs that we are. Or is it lemmings? Anyway, until we demand different and turn our backs on giving them any more profit, there will not be any improvement.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,661 times
People choose their way of life, if they drink, smoke or what ever they die younger and he cost is less than being on SS for 20 years. The government makes money on taxing the drink or smoke and pays out less in the long run.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Living that "perfect" life of only eating, drinking or doing safe things doesn't necessarily make you live longer but it sure makes it seem longer........... much longer. lol

Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Everything in moderation.

I think the biggest issue is that people tend to go all or nothing and leave no wiggle room. Me and my boyfriend eat mostly organic, made from scratch meals (we're lucky to have a plethora of great farmers markets near us) but every once in a while we'll go to Taco Bell or McDonalds.

We don't drink regularly, but sometimes we'll have a beer, or wine, or some vodka and cranberry (my favorite ).

We usually don't smoke, but every once in a while we'll have a cigarette.

If people stopped going overboard, then balance could be achieved.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:

I had to tell my wife to stop telling me about her "sick" patients that come in to get healthcare. She was an ER RN now works in the cardio cath lab.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
[QUOTE = Morphous01;8785033]You know, I'm tired of people crying about how they don't have "healthcare" when most people don't even take care of there on health or value it!

[/quote]

I don't smoke, nor chew tobacco, nor do any kind of street drugs.. nor never have. What are your statistics on people who engage in such bad behaviour.

I think you'll find there are more people who don't do this, than do.

BTw.. there is nothing wrong with RECREATIONAL drinking from time to time. . it's when you take alcohol in excess that it becomes unhealthy. And.. actually they recommend you drink atleast 2 glasses of wine a day for a healthy heart, etc.

Quote:
yes.. our food is more proccessed etc. BUT that has a lot to do with the fact that now households need TWO working parents in order to meet their financial needs (rent, utilities etc.). As for the fast food thing.. I think that was also a result of the same reason why food in supermarkets are more processed. However, there are now more healthy alternatives offered at fast food restaurants .. as i believe we are atleast starting a turn around.

Quote:
Again.. i don't know about that... as far as what the stats are. I only have a 3 year old.. but I try to get him outside for atleast a few hours a day after he comes home from preschool.. etc.

Quote:
Believe me.. we want to take more vacations and sleep more.. BUT.. it's just not possible. Over the last 5 years, the American families income has been shrinking while the cost of living has been incresing. Healthcare costs in particular have grown far faster than pay rates. Actually labor is costing companies more as a result while income has shrunk for the average family (given inflation).

BTW.. that also adds to people's waistline (finanical stress) AND their decisions to buy the cheaper more modified food .. because fresh is sometimes more expensive depending on the item.

I could go on but you get the idea; so what do you all think?[/quote]

But.. I don't know if all or most Americans do not take care of themselves. I don't really knw what the stats are on % of population that is overweight, say. However, before you make such a bold and broad statement you may want to back that up because what you percieve may not actually be true.

BTW.. I'm a juvenile diabetic for 19 years now. I hardly eat fast food, although I do tend to buy more "processed" stuff when things are a little more hectic in our lives.. (I do try to cook more fresh though) and I jog 4 miles almost every day.. with weight training atleast 3x's a week... althoug that regimen has been more recent in the last 6 months.. and am currently without insurance because I lapsed incoverage for the first time in 19 years (because of affordability). I can't afford to pay the premiums (which are 3x's the premium for a unafflicted person) AND pay my meds out of pocket for the next year.

I only share this with you because i don't think there is a real correlation between how someone takes care of themselves and their inability to afford insurance (and thecost prohibitive cost of healthcare without it).

I do believe, however, that this same perception you have is one of the many reasons people are against any form of UHC.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,143 times
Quote:

I agree 100% Instead of all the billions of earmarks, Obama could have just set up a program for people who don't have money to apply for a credit to buy insurance. Let them buy their own. No instead he wants to run all of us into the ground, rob from our kids and grand kids.

Wake up people, this administration is out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies