U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,210,413 times

Advertisements

Why is it that ever other day we hear something in the news about a person, either flashing, approaching or trying to lure children from our schools? Is there a problem with our laws, does more need to be done?

I personally believe they are mentally sick and can not be treated. They should be sent to live in tent camps in the desert. This would save tax paying dollars and keep our kids safer.

1*Ranch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 03:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 14,418,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Why is it that ever other day we hear something in the news about a person, either flashing, approaching or trying to lure children from our schools? Is there a problem with our laws, does more need to be done?

I personally believe they are mentally sick and can not be treated. They should be sent to live in tent camps in the desert. This would save tax paying dollars and keep our kids safer.

1*Ranch.
I agree that it's a horrible problem. I don't see it as being worse or exclusive to SA. Channel 4 makes a very concerted effort with their "Stranger Danger" program in conjunction with local law enforcement. Links are even available for location of rehabed sex offenders in our city. Maybe it's a good thing that they are in the news being caught. I might worry more if there were no reports.

As parents we need to be proactive with our kids. Studies across the entire US and other countries show that pedophiles tend to go where children go.....so parents need to keep an eye on their kids at play. Playgrounds, video arcades, amusement parks, even sports events......they are there acting like somebody's parent....and sometimes they are.

Parents never should let children walk home alone, stay home alone, or even go to malls and public places with their peers without some kind of security, supervision or check ins.

Small children should never have their names on back packs or articles of clothing worn to school or public places. Also pictures on the internet in myspace.com or facebook.com should be monitored or just forbidden with younger kids. Children are so trusting and can give out information that they don't realize is revealing of their location or school etc.

What else could you suggest to prevent this? The punishment phase is too late!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:54 PM

380 posts, read 1,210,413 times
I think the punishment phase is too late simply because we have become appeasers. Instead of dealing with the heart of the problem, we play with Civil Rights etc.. etc.. (ACLU). When you get someone in charge who will be tough and move them out of society and punish them then things might change. Then again aren't all politicians tough on crime...hahaha. The first time offenders are just sick and they are too blame. The second time offender is too blame along with the government that allowed them to walk out of the prison and into our lives again.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:38 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,868,674 times
I think its just a fact that our news is willing to cover it that makes it seem like an issue when its not.

And its not really every other day but maybe once a week that its reported on the news. Local news will go 2-3 days straight discussing the same story in terms something of that nature.

Last edited by 210; 04-06-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 14,418,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I think its just a fact that our news is willing to cover it that makes it seem like an issue when its not.

And its not really every other day but maybe once a week. Local news will go 2-3 days straight discussing the same story in terms something of that nature.

210.....(I know you're not a parent yet )......but ONE time IS an issue! If it were my child I would be up close and personal with our city leaders. They would be writing about me choking some city councilman .....now THAT would be news.....and it might get their attention. One time is too many for any child....plain and simple.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 PM

3,489 posts, read 18,684,259 times
I think we as a society are better able and willing to deal with a problem that has always been there. That includes rape, incest and child abuse.
When I was kid, none of these things happened...or at least were mentioned. I'm sure they happened.
Watching the kids and monitoring thier activities is one aspect, the other is more severe punishment and monitoring of the perpetrator. Life in a tent in the desert sounds like a good thing. Put em all together and let them have thier fun together.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM

260 posts, read 1,074,268 times
http://www.familywatchdog.us/ Here's the national registry. It's free. Find the sex offenders in your neighborhood. On a map. It has their mug shots.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,577,037 times
Air Force Doc - Thanks for the link. Just out of curiosity I clicked on it to check out my home town. I couldn't believe what I found. Two of the people on the list I knew but had no idea they were sex offenders. Some others I recognized seeing around town, but I didn't know their names. Thankfully, with the mapping device, I could see that they don't live near my home, but I will certainly hang on close to my girls when we go out and about to the store and library, etc.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 AM

73 posts, read 388,298 times
The bad thing is that most of them aren't registered and haven't been caught. And live in the desert? Please! They should be executed, IMO.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 AM

283 posts, read 1,770,841 times
I agree that there is a major problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies