Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
So then it's wrong for other ethnic groups to coalesce in order to further the economic interests of their community?
If whites choose to shop at whites only stores forsaking stores owned by other races, it is their right, but wrong in my opinion. If blacks choose to shop at blacks only stores forsaking stores owned by other races, it is their right, but wrong in my opinion. If Asians choose to shop at asian only stores forsaking stores owned by other races, it is their right, but wrong in my opinion. If hispanics choose to shop at hispanics only stores forsaking stores owned by other races, it is their right, but wrong in my opinion. Is that clear enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This couple is patronizing only black owned businesses. Do you find this racist or not?

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement
I don't know if it's racist, but I don't really care. I think it's a good thing when people pull together to help one another regardless of the parameters in which the people are chosen.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I don't know if it's racist, but I don't really care. I think it's a good thing when people pull together to help one another regardless of the parameters in which the people are chosen.
I agree since minority communities do this all the time. I don't know if I would necessarily go out of my way to shop at one on a constant basis though!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
So, you'd be cool if a couple stated that they have a policy of shopping only at businesses owned by heterosexuals, and started a website declaring their idea as a "movement" to be encouraged in cities throughout the US?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 AM

185 posts, read 108,695 times
I wouldn't support black-only businesses, because that would undoubtedly involve trips to less safe areas of town, and consequently would involve paying higher prices for the same stuff. Drive into any "black area" and note the price of gas and groceries. All higher. Why? Insurance rates are higher because of vandalism.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,492,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
You know what? I have common sense and intellligence to spare compared to you. You're a broken record. Whites-Whites-Whites... Slavery-Slavery-Slavery.
Based upon your comments in this thread, I seriously doubt that and I think it unfortunate that the only thing you're hearing is whites-whites-whites... slavery-slavery-slavery, since that is not the point that is being made.

Quote:
I don't care about slavery. I don't care about it at all. I had nothing to do with it. It's too bad that it happened, but it did happen. And now it's over.

Get over it. Or don't. That's your problem.
It is very apparent that you don't care about slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, racism, etc. and how these still impact black people TODAY. It is my problem and unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of sticking my head in the sand and pretending that it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Every other ethnic background in the world has had their share of pain and suffering. Some WORSE than yours with your slavery. For instance, there are Holocaust survivors who are still alive, still feeling the physical effects of what they went through. But why should you care? That didn't effect you.
Right, I would like to know what other ethnic group was kidnapped from there homeland, stripped on their culture, tortured, murdered and raped at will FOR CENTURIES? What other ethnic group was considered chattal, nor more than livestock/animals FOR CENTURIES? What other ethnic group had the product of their labor, knowledge, innovation stolen for the benefit of another FOR CENTURIES?

Quote:
SLAVERY didn't effect you either. You've never been a slave. You've never met a slave. But it gives you a good excuse to live in the past and hide from the realities of the present world that you think is being unfair to you.
See, this is what I mean when I say you don't understand historical context. Do you think that enslaves blacks were sitting around drinking mints julips and fanning themselves or were they working? Who worked the fields, tended to the farm animals, drove the carriages? Who were the blacksmiths, the carpenters, the cooks? Who essentially were the "skilled laborers" at that time?

Clearly, these individuals could have benefitted from the fruits their own labor if they were paid to perform these jobs. They could have sent their children to school and possibly could have started creating wealth for themselves and not their slave masters. So yes, slavery has affected me and every other black American as it robbed us of our inheritence.

Additionally, racism is the biggest by-product of slavery and it is still in effect today.

Quote:
If you can't move forward, that's too bad for you. But don't expect the rest of the country to pay for it. It's not our fault.
Again, you continue to show your lack of understanding. Like most black people, I have moved forward. I've done everything I am supposed to do and I have a success family and career. But I am not blind and I am not going to pretend that racism doesn't exist.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 AM

There are obviously always going to be the haves and the have-nots, but all of the statistical data/research shows that race continues to be a key factor in virtually every area of our lives. That being said, I would consider things to be "fair and equal" when the inequalities in housing, education, employment, healthcare, lending practices, etc. are correlated to circumstance and not race.

I believe that progress is being made and I believe that as the US becomes more diverse, things will continue to improve.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Here's a question for anyone and everyone who feels that things are still not fair and equal among the races; in terms of business opportunities, education, or any other areas you want to use to answer.

1. At what point will you consider things to be fair and equal?

2. Can things, in your opinion, ever be fair and equal?

I think these are fair questions, and since I am asking for opinions, there are no wrong answers. I will not use anyone's answer against them in any way. I want some honest feedback from people, nothing more and nothing less. And if you think things are fine the way they are, that's fine, but try and back that up too.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Yes, and he seems to actually be proud to be so uninformed.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Oh Jeez... ignorance of history makes one sound so ignorant...

Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Short answer - YES.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Does the hatred of Blacks in America run so deep that some people can not stand the fact that some Blacks make an attempt to economically strengthen their own commuinty?

Let's get this straight...its ok for Jews, Asians. Latinos, Arabs, Armenians and any/every other racial and ethnic group to support businesses within their own communities yet somehow Blacks are excluded from making ANY efforts at building.

In the past, Whites have even destroyed prosperous Black business communities due to these sentiments (Tulsa race riots, Rosewood massacre in Florida) Its a matter of trying to keep "certain" people in their "place".

Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Based upon your comments in this thread, I seriously doubt that and I think it unfortunate that the only thing you're hearing is whites-whites-whites... slavery-slavery-slavery, since that is not the point that is being made.

It is very apparent that you don't care about slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, racism, etc. and how these still impact black people TODAY. It is my problem and unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of sticking my head in the sand and pretending that it doesn't exist.

Right, I would like to know what other ethnic group was kidnapped from there homeland, stripped on their culture, tortured, murdered and raped at will FOR CENTURIES? What other ethnic group was considered chattal, nor more than livestock/animals FOR CENTURIES? What other ethnic group had the product of their labor, knowledge, innovation stolen for the benefit of another FOR CENTURIES?

See, this is what I mean when I say you don't understand historical context. Do you think that enslaves blacks were sitting around drinking mints julips and fanning themselves or were they working? Who worked the fields, tended to the farm animals, drove the carriages? Who were the blacksmiths, the carpenters, the cooks? Who essentially were the "skilled laborers" at that time?

Clearly, these individuals could have benefitted from the fruits their own labor if they were paid to perform these jobs. They could have sent their children to school and possibly could have started creating wealth for themselves and not their slave masters. So yes, slavery has affected me and every other black American as it robbed us of our inheritence.

Additionally, racism is the biggest by-product of slavery and it is still in effect today.

Again, you continue to show your lack of understanding. Like most black people, I have moved forward. I've done everything I am supposed to do and I have a success family and career. But I am not blind and I am not going to pretend that racism doesn't exist.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies