Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times

Advertisements

No, it's not racist. They are free to spend their money wherever they choose. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to help out members of your own race. It's not as though they are boycotting all white owned business'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Not so racist. Just another example of "pop economics." Ultimately harmless except to those who actually think it makes a difference.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This couple is patronizing only black owned businesses. Do you find this racist or not?

Couple's 'buy black' experiment becomes a movement
No, because it can only be racist if a white person said they were going to buy from white owned businesses

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
I'm only patronizing white owned stores and businesses from now on. I call it empowering the white race.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Care to explain?
The essence of racism - what makes it bad - is that it is used to keep one race in power and to marginalize and weaken other races. So, if you choose to support minority-owned businesses, for whatever reason, you are not supporting the existing racial dominance of the white segment of our population.

However, if you choose to support white-owned businesses only, you are supporting the existing white dominance.

Face it, there are plenty of reasons to want more diversity in our society. We need more Korean restaurants and African guitar players and Chilean lama-wool vests.

But there's no reason to want more white-owned businesses. They already have an advantage in our society. So deciding to support white-owned businesses is deciding that whites don't have enough power already. That's racist.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
as someone who actually lives with people of other races, this is not at all racist. neither is shopping at all white stores. racism is the belief that one belongs to a better race. using a racial slur does not make one a racist. I use slurs all the time. my favorite ones are the ones that refer to my sicilian background.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
But there's no reason to want more white-owned businesses.
Why not ? I want more businesses period. Businesses generate wealth and the more businesses we have the more wealth there will be which benefits everyone not just whites.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why would it be racist?
For anyone. You can spend your money where you choose.
Or are you choosing to look for bias where none exists outside of your head?
Who is going to call anyone who shops anywhere racist, unless that's your big fear.
It's only racist if you are vocal about not shopping in a store because it's owned by blacks as your sole reason for not shopping there.
Otherwise, how would anyone know?
No one forces anyone to shop anywhere.
Geez, this is a non-issue.

I don't shop at any store that has an xian fish in the window.
I choose to shop at Trader Joes and local organic markets (when I live in the states).
I can spend my money where I want, as can you.
People in CA are not shopping at Prop 8 supporter stores.

I do think it might be a little difficult to shop at black owned stores only; again, choice.
The things you outline show bigotry at its finest. Sure, you are free to shop whereever you want, but that doesn't preclude you from showing hypocritical bigotry in your shopping choices. In fact, by avoiding stores with Christian fishes, you showcase your particular brand of bigotry.
On the other hand, while you espouse everyone's freedom to "shop where they want", I have all my bets on the suspicion that you expect my tax money to involuntarily support pro-abortion counseling and government-funded fetal stem cell research (items that I am morally opposed to, but don't have the right to "shop" and opt out).

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
I won't shop at a black owned business and I don't think its racist.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I won't shop at a black owned business and I don't think its racist.
It's not racists, it's typical, which is why many blacks feel the need to patronize black owned businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies