Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM

395 posts, read 510,722 times

Advertisements

I live in South Florida and this area is more racist than most other areas. Also, the average age down here is much older, so that might play a minor role in it. It seems many cubans have issues with black people and mexicans as well. They just have issues. The black population is pretty small down here in South Florida, so I think it's a combination of some people having blind hatred and others seeing that the very small black population still manage to cause problems. It sounds bad, but it seems in the city I am in...the black people are pretty well behaved. I would almost think it was because of the above-average racism down here. Scares them straight. Of course this city has less than one percent black population. I've lived in a town where I've been the minority to blacks (67 percent black), so I've seen both sides of the coin. It's very interesting. It's hard to explain all my feelings in one comment, but let's say after living in a place as a minority, I am predjudice, but not racist, and I still treat every single person the same...even if my mind might think different.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
It's naive to think people besides whites can be racially predjudiced.....

EVERY race has it's racists......

Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
they think It's part of the initiation process to become an official white person and they don't want to be mistaken for a black person, even if they have black skin.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Most sensible answer so far. I mean do all white americans get along with each other? Do all europeans get along with each other? Do the hispanics white or otherwise sing kumbaya with each other. Its ridiculous to think such distinct groups will have lovie dubbie relationships with each other. I also agree that many immigrants learn to get ahead they must distance themselves from african americans. Even black immigrants and other african americans don't want to be associated with any type of stigma. I hope this thinking dies with my generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I have often heard people ask: "why would Hispanics put down blacks? Both groups are minorities." When people have asked me that question, I have responded by saying that "minority" is a meaningless distinction in this country and that more than anything, it is a state of mind. Everyone in the world (including many Americans like myself) think it is beyond bizarre that Pakistanis, Kenyans, Jordanians, Peruvians, Indonesians, and even some Europeans are put into a category called "minority" that exists on paper but not in real life. The only "minorities" I have ever met who embrace the categorization of "minority" want, for whatever reason, to be considered differently from WASPS/Anglos/whites, whatever they perceive to be the "majority."

However, many people within the only-on-paper category of "minority" have racial, ethnic, and religious prejudices against other "minorities." Who in the world would expect a black African with a tribal religion, a Catholic Mexican, and a Iraqi Muslim to dance in circles and sing Kumbaya? Not only are they vastly different in geographical origin, they are also different in religion and race, things that matter very much, even in 2009.

Now let's focus on "Hispanics" and blacks. Many "Hispanics" have no problems with blacks whatsoever, whether those blacks be from Africa or the Americas. However, many "Hispanics" are racist against black people. Some are racist ONLY against non-Hispanic black people, and some are racist against black people in general, even if they are from Latin America and speak Spanish as a first language. The same goes with non-Hispanic white people. Most probably are not racist against blacks, but some are racist against blacks depending on their country of origin. Ironically enough, it probably is American blacks who receive the worst racism all around the board. Many non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics of any race are cautious of blacks and approach them with extreme cynicism because for many years in the Americas there has been a stereotype that blacks are dumb, lazy, criminals, up to no good, etc. The best way to combat this is to prove wrong the people who hold that idea. Thankfully, many blacks do prove wrong that idea.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
they think It's part of the initiation process to become an official white person and they don't want to be mistaken for a black person, even if they have black skin.
Nobody's yet mentioned that these attitudes are exported from their home countries. In many Hispanic countries, racism is socially acceptable in a way that it hasn't been in the US in decades. Cubans and Costa Ricans are particularly notorious for hating blacks, due to attitudes in Cuba and Costa Rica themselves. Afro-Mexicans are on the bottom of Mexican society and are often messed with by law enforcement in Mexico who think blacks are illegal immigrants passing through Mexico en route to the US. Racial divides in Venezuela have a great deal to do with the rise of mixed-race Chavez (easily the most divisive leader in the entire Western Hemisphere) and the extreme social/political polarization existing there. Racism in Puerto Rico used to be very virulent, and still exists although tempered by PR having been exposed to the civil rights movement by being part of the US ; while in the Northeastern US and Chicago white, mixed race, and black Puerto Ricans get along just fine due to their common cultural heritage, in Florida there still seems to be animosity between white and black Puerto Ricans. Even in Guatemala, which has very, very few whites to speak of, the light skinned mixed race people who run everything talk of their indigenous countrymen in words straight out of 1950s Mississippi.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
this is a generalization.

not all hispanics or cubans hate blacks.

that would mean hating themselves. lots of cubans, dominicans, panamanians, colombians, and even mexicans are black.

but what do you mean by black? do you mean non hispanic blacks? do you mean haitian blacks?

i have noticed preferential treatment. a good friend of mine who is cuban once brought home some black dude. the mom was about to protest when my friend said, dont worry mom, hes cuban too.

had he been "regular black" there would have been a problem, since he was "cuban black", it was ok.

this was in CA, not FL. maybe that has something to with it.

Quote:
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....

Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,052 times
Hispanics in South Florida are not a race.
There's no "La Raza" in South Florida.
Hispanics in South Florida are not Mexicans for the most part.
You've got many pure Spanish people (that fled from Communist regimes), you've got Hispanic Lebanese, Hispanic Chinese, Hispanic Polish, Hispanic Jews (Jewbans), you've got Hispanics blacks, Hispanic mulattoes and I even know Hispanic Irish.
In those groups there are people that hate blacks, there was a KKK in Cuba, there are people that hate Jews, there are people that hate themselves, that hate Gays, there are liberals, kumbayas, frikis, hippies, churchgoers, stamp collectors, peeoping toms...
They are like your general mainstream Americans.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 05-20-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
. Did you know that there are many full-blooded Asians of Japanese ancestry living in Peru, Brazil, and other Latin American countries?
Yes,..Very interesting. Additionally large groups of those of Irish and German ancestry as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Tracing all your ancestors to Europe does not make a difference. I already said my opinion about the "perception" by blacks and anglos of being a Lopez, Gomez and being white.

Now according to the US government my sisters are white, even though they look mixed because we have black and indian blood in our family. So in the government's eyes my sisters who are pretty dark or mestizas or whatever you wanna call it, are as white as those hispanics whose grandparents are European. They still check the white box when filling out an application. There is no checkbox for mestizos or check this box if one your ancestries is not European.

Anyways, this is of course my opinion now. I get insulted when hispanics talk about their european ancentries, like if they need to prove something. Who cares?? You don't hear anglos out there bragging that they don't have any black or indian blood. These kind of things are what makes some hispanics look racist. Yes and in my perception, they are racist. Sorry if I offended anybody, I'm just talking about my perceptions.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Because Hispanic people have the innate ability to be able to tell when someone is trying to stir things up. Why if you never had a problem before would you translate any experience to be a broad swiping indictment of a group of people. Makes it hard for me to believe you are Black. You are aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies