Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas0x01 View Post
Yes, Calipoppy is right. African imports were needed in Mexico because Smallpox and other diseases decimated the indigenous population - I believe 2/3 were killed off or something like that. The African population was as high as 11% before they started to intermarry and assimilate. Many Mexicans believe that all their dark features comes from mesoindians blood, but a large degree also comes from African blood. It would not surprise me if someone like the singer Selena has a lot of African blood. I don't believe mesoindians have bodies like that.
Selena is Colombian.

You are wrong, sorry. There are some descendants of African in Mexicans in the south, but overall blacks are a very small percentage.

Go to North or Central Mexico, any of its 3 major cities, you will not see any black people.

Race and Ethnicity Blood Type Analysis - BloodBook.com, Blood Information for Life

Mexico Mestizo (Indian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, Caucasian or predominantly Caucasian 9%, other 1%

Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM

111 posts, read 132,466 times
Selena as in Selena Quintanilla the singer? She's of Mexican descent.

And she doesn't look at all black. Not saying there isn't african blood, just saying its not significant.

http://www.ethnic-beauty-central.com/images/selena_latina.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-02-2010, 02:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Selena is Colombian.

You are wrong, sorry. There are some descendants of African in Mexicans in the south, but overall blacks are a very small percentage.

Go to North or Central Mexico, any of its 3 major cities, you will not see any black people.

Race and Ethnicity Blood Type Analysis - BloodBook.com, Blood Information for Life

Mexico Mestizo (Indian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, Caucasian or predominantly Caucasian 9%, other 1%
Selena was Mexican-American

Selena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2010, 02:24 PM

31 posts, read 96,072 times
Quote:
Selena is Colombian.

haha, I think you're thinking about Shakira, and yes, she's hot, too. That's the breakdown, 60% Mestizo, 30% meso-indian, 9% White, and 1% "other". Part of that other are the afro-Mexicans which you are talking about. But I think it is a mistake to say that the Mestizos are just Amerindian and Spanish. I don't have a reference but I'm sure that the DNA admixture test done showed that Mexican Mestizos were also part African - about 12% African blood or something like that. And Afro-Mexican is someone who is obviously black, but if someone has about 12% African blood it's not so obvious, but it's there. Africans in Mexico mixed all throughout the country.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Selena is Colombian.

Afro-Mexicans were present all over Mexico.

The original settlers of the city of Los Angeles were Afro-Mexican from Sonora, Sinaloa, Jalisco and Nayarit which are in Northen, Northwestern and Western Central Mexico.

EL PUEBLO DE LOS ANGELES HISTORICAL MONUMENT

Los Angeles Pobladores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll to the bottom)

Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Afro-Mexicans were present all over Mexico.

The original settlers of the city of Los Angeles were Afro-Mexican from Sonora, Sinaloa, Jalisco and Nayarit which are in Northen, Northwestern and Western Central Mexico.

EL PUEBLO DE LOS ANGELES HISTORICAL MONUMENT

Los Angeles Pobladores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll to the bottom)
LOL. so there were 8 founding mulattos in Sonora. Nice to know. I work in Sonora every week and guess what , no blacks to be found. Not that I care either way, it just does not happen to be true. I work and travel all around Mexico and not a black guy in sight, except for along the southern gulf area.

That smallpox thing you guys refer to was more central america where they were mining.

I am sure you may find trace amounts of african american blood in some people, but 12%? No way, not a chance.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
LOL. so there were 8 founding mulattos in Sonora. Nice to know. I work in Sonora every week and guess what , no blacks to be found. Not that I care either way, it just does not happen to be true. I work and travel all around Mexico and not a black guy in sight, except for along the southern gulf area.

That smallpox thing you guys refer to was more central america where they were mining.

I am sure you may find trace amounts of african american blood in some people, but 12%? No way, not a chance.
The importation of African slaves into Mexico ended centuries ago. Are you unable to rationalize the fact that the majority of their descendents have been assimilated?

There are people of African ancestry all over Mexico - no one said that they are 100% African after having ancestors there for over 400+ years.

I have relatives who are half Black/Half Mexican who have very few (if any) visible African features but that does not mean that they are absent of African ancestry.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:12 PM

31 posts, read 96,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post

And she doesn't look at all black. Not saying there isn't african blood, just saying its not significant.
There are a lot of African Americans who don't really look "black". You can't go by what you think someone with a certain admixture should look like because it can vary quite a bit. But what makes me think that Selena probably has significant "black blood" is her body type. This is not a mesoindian body type.

http://www.laprensatoledo.com/Photo%...031%201995.jpg

Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM

948 posts, read 894,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post

Yes Mexican, not Colombian. She was too sweet too be Columbian...hehe. They should have shot the beech that killed her.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,799 times
Here's my annoyance with Latinos and their obsession with how/what they are mixed with: NO ONE CARES. If you're not fully white, you are not considered white in this country so get over it.
However, people in the US DO care if you:
a) don't act low class/ghetto
b) graduate high school, college, etc.
c) have middle class values
d) have a job that gives you status
e) live in a nice neighborhood and have the means to "keep up with the Jones's"...even if you don't.
f) don't have babies you can't afford
g) are legally here
h) don't use entitlement programs for extended periods of time
i) are courteous and respectful
j) are proud to be American.

Latinos need to stop thinking that to be of Euro descendancy is what makes one better. It is the contributions to society one makes that matters. Look at the East Asians, look at the African immigrants, look at South Asian immigrants. All three of those groups have been in the US for a lot less time than Latinos yet accomplish more in one generation than what many Latino families accomplish...ever. That's why Latinos face discrimination like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies