Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The importation of African slaves into Mexico ended centuries ago. Are you unable to rationalize the fact that the majority of their descendents have been assimilated?

There are people of African ancestry all over Mexico - no one said that they are 100% African after having ancestors there for over 400+ years.

I have relatives who are half Black/Half Mexican who have very few (if any) visible African features but that does not mean that they are absent of African ancestry.
uh,uh. your logic does not fly. you contradict yourself. First you talk about blacks not moving into mexico for 400+ years; then you talk about your half black/half mexican relatives.

If they were "half black" they would have black parents/ grandparents and show visible African features. Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, other parts of Latin America? Sure. Not Mexico though.

Again, the fact that under 1 % of the overall population shows some black ancestry down in the south is much different than trying to make the claim there is a prevalent "Afro-Mexican " segment among the general population.

Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Approximately 1% of Mexico's population is composed of other type of ethnic groups, these include Asian-Mexicans and Afro-Mexicans, descendants of slaves brought to Mexico, live in the coastal areas of the states of Veracruz, Tabasco and Guerrero and are mostly of mixed ancestry."

MEXICO

2002 Black Population: App. 1,000,000 (under 1% population)

http://whgbetc.com/mind/black-latin-america2.html

Mexico

Population Afro-descendants Population
111,211,789 <1.0% 1,112,117

Last edited by bily4; 05-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 AM

438 posts, read 503,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
When Castro eliminated the Batista regime, the wealthy Cubans high tailed it to S Florida. These wealthy Cubans were of Spanish stock, not African or Native.

Cuba had the same racial hierarchy that other parts of the Americas had. So it is no surprise that White Hispanics would treat Black Americans badly.

From an open mindedness and tolerance POV, American is far far far ahead of Hispanic/Latino America. America has actually made meaningfull progress in how minorities, especially Blacks and Natives are treated. Most other places in world are very bigotted with entrenched prejudices making success and progress extremely difficult. America and other Northern European based Democracies are much better in this regard.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 96,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
uh,uh. your logic does not fly. you contradict yourself. First you talk about blacks not moving into mexico for 400+ years; then you talk about your half black/half mexican relatives.

If they were "half black" they would have black parents/ grandparents and show visible African features. Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, other parts of Latin America? Sure. Not Mexico though.

Again, the fact that under 1 % of the overall population shows some black ancestry down in the south is much different than trying to make the claim there is a prevalent "Afro-Mexican " segment among the general population.

Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Approximately 1% of Mexico's population is composed of other type of ethnic groups, these include Asian-Mexicans and Afro-Mexicans, descendants of slaves brought to Mexico, live in the coastal areas of the states of Veracruz, Tabasco and Guerrero and are mostly of mixed ancestry."

MEXICO

2002 Black Population: App. 1,000,000 (under 1% population)

Black Latin America

Mexico

Population Afro-descendants Population
111,211,789 <1.0% 1,112,117
No one really knows who many afro-mexicans there are, I've seen estimates as high as 5 milion. But an afro-mexican is just someone who is easily identifiable as "black" which can be very subjective. This also doesn't account for the african dna admixture that's diffused throughout the mexican population. Euro admixture is diffused throughout the african american population. On average the level of "white blood" among AA is about 19% according to studies done by Shriver. This doesn't mean that you're going to see AA who look like blonde haired, blue eyed germans. What it means is that there's going to be some deviation from the typical west african look, due to mixing.
Checkout this study:

mtDNA Affinities of the Peoples of North-Central Mexico

From current studies and known history it is estimated that about 75% of the mexican population has "african blood". And the levels of african blood could be close to the same levels of european blood. Even in some areas of northern mexican, where they didn't expect to find much, if any, african blood in the population, they're actually discovering more african blood than european blood. And of course heavy amounts of african dna admixture is found on both the caribbean and pacific coasts and in parts of central mexico.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 AM

111 posts, read 132,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas0x01 View Post
There are a lot of African Americans who don't really look "black". You can't go by what you think someone with a certain admixture should look like because it can vary quite a bit. But what makes me think that Selena probably has significant "black blood" is her body type. This is not a mesoindian body type.

http://www.laprensatoledo.com/Photo%...031%201995.jpg
What are you on about...? She obviously looks more European than any other racial group. I never said that was a mesoindian bodytype, then again, what is a meso indian body type? Are you trying to tell me all meso indians had the same body type? Are trying to tell me ALL black women are curvy?

You're just making speculations. You could try to argue George Lopez is "blacker" than Selena because he's darker skinned. Making racial assumptions about someone because they look the part, doesn't make it so. Reminds me of a mtDNA video I saw once about a family from Lousiana who had always identified as black. They did have light skin though, still, looked heavily black. Turns out, he was more Native American than he was black, in fact, he had 0% African blood in him. He was mostly White and Native American.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
When you get right down to it, people with a deep-seated sense of inferiority are going to look at someone else that they can put down so that they can elevate themselves in their own eyes. Sometimes those prejudices are passed on from one generation of a family to the next generation. With some, they see how others in society (friends, acquaintances, strangers, etc.) put down others to make themselves feel better about themselves, and they adopt the habit. It happens in all levels of people, poor and rich, who have deep-seated issues with how they view themselves. It would take professional therapy to bring these things out because they are based on a person's feelings of self-worth. I talk from experience with family members that have unfortunately been down this path. One last thing, those that like to show great feelings of superiority are the ones that deep down have the greatest feelings of inferiority.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juced View Post
What are you on about...? She obviously looks more European than any other racial group. I never said that was a mesoindian bodytype, then again, what is a meso indian body type? Are you trying to tell me all meso indians had the same body type? Are trying to tell me ALL black women are curvy?

You're just making speculations. You could try to argue George Lopez is "blacker" than Selena because he's darker skinned. Making racial assumptions about someone because they look the part, doesn't make it so. Reminds me of a mtDNA video I saw once about a family from Lousiana who had always identified as black. They did have light skin though, still, looked heavily black. Turns out, he was more Native American than he was black, in fact, he had 0% African blood in him. He was mostly White and Native American.
Well when I look at Selena's face I see a Mexican woman - ie., mesoindian, or watered down mesoindian. I don't know what european woman looks like that. But her body looks very afro-latina because meso-indians tend to be short and square and not very well defined in the body, and definitely no booty. But I agree that with mixed people you really don't know because combos can come out looking very different than you might expect. I remember seeing a woman who was french and filipino, and I thought she was AA. She had no AA in her at all

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Selena as in Selena Quintanilla the singer? She's of Mexican descent.

And she doesn't look at all black. Not saying there isn't african blood, just saying its not significant.
That picture doesn't show her negrita physique.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM

111 posts, read 132,486 times
Quote:
Well when I look at Selena's face I see a Mexican woman - ie., mesoindian, or watered down mesoindian. I don't know what european woman looks like that. But her body looks very afro-latina because meso-indians tend to be short and square and not very well defined in the body, and definitely no booty. But I agree that with mixed people you really don't know because combos can come out looking very different than you might expect. I remember seeing a woman who was french and filipino, and I thought she was AA. She had no AA in her at all

Let me know who she resembles more

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/UNS/UNS016/mexico-yucatan-peninsula_%7Eu25179272.jpg (broken link)http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/UNS/UNS016/mexico-yucatan-peninsula_~u25179272.jpg

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/UNS/UNS016/mexico-yucatan-peninsula_%7Eu25179272.jpg (broken link)

OR

http://www.glogster.com/media/3/6/86/33/6863353.jpg (broken link)

I'm thinking she looks more like Catherine Zeta jones, more european than indian.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Let me know who she resembles more

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/UNS...~u25179272.jpg

OR

I'm thinking she looks more like Catherine Zeta jones, more european than indian.
She looks mestizo in the face (watered down amerindian) with a afro-latina body. Selena doesn't look like Catherine Zeta Jones at all, she looks very Mexican.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...nna/selena.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...illa_perez.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Selena09.jpg (broken link)

And why is her hair so frizzy?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
She looks mestizo in the face (watered down amerindian) with a afro-latina body. Selena doesn't look like Catherine Zeta Jones at all, she looks very Mexican.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...nna/selena.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...illa_perez.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Selena09.jpg (broken link)

And why is her hair so frizzy?
Her hair is so frizzy bc it is the early 90's. Everybody back in the day had that kinda hair. Remember Dynasty,Tiffany,Paula Abdul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies