Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
37% is no majority. It's true that there used to be more white Cubans, but many of them went to Miami.

True.

Yes, most PRs are black, white and Taino. I have been there many times and am surprised at how white the place is. But still less than 50% of the people are of European descent.

DR is only 15% white.

no at one time Cuba was majority white before Castro and yes many white cubans left.

haven't been to PR in a while, last time I went I visted where my grandfather grew up, right in Orocovis.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
37% is no majority. It's true that there used to be more white Cubans, but many of them went to Miami.

True.

Yes, most PRs are black, white and Taino. I have been there many times and am surprised at how white the place is. But still less than 50% of the people are of European descent.

DR is only 15% white.
I don't see why you are even going back and forth with that person.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I don't see why you are even going back and forth with that person.
Just talking for the sake of talking.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,652 times
I'm Mexican and African American. In my experience, Mexicans who still reside in Mexico are not racists and I didn't experience racism at all in Mexico. But after Mexicans migrate to the US, I notice a change in attitude and I really believe it comes from the fact that the US has big race issues. I notice this with many different immigrants. They want to associate with those in power and seem to adopt the attitudes with racism being one of them. It drives me crazy to see Mexicans and other Latin Americans mistreat Blacks. They don't know that I'm Mexican and that I understand Spanish so I hear what is being said and I just want to say to them and all others that want to come to the US and try this "These whites don't care about you either so realize we are in the same boat and find yourself!!!" It's crazy. And in reality, many whites have come a long way. How can immigrants treat Blacks with contempt when it we made it possible for EVERYONE to enjoy the rights they have now???!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM

943 posts, read 782,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedblend View Post
I'm Mexican and African American. In my experience, Mexicans who still reside in Mexico are not racists and I didn't experience racism at all in Mexico. But after Mexicans migrate to the US, I notice a change in attitude and I really believe it comes from the fact that the US has big race issues. I notice this with many different immigrants. They want to associate with those in power and seem to adopt the attitudes with racism being one of them. It drives me crazy to see Mexicans and other Latin Americans mistreat Blacks. They don't know that I'm Mexican and that I understand Spanish so I hear what is being said and I just want to say to them and all others that want to come to the US and try this "These whites don't care about you either so realize we are in the same boat and find yourself!!!" It's crazy. And in reality, many whites have come a long way. How can immigrants treat Blacks with contempt when it we made it possible for EVERYONE to enjoy the rights they have now???!!!
I think that is part of it.

They know from the get go that blacks historically are disadvantaged and over compensate in order to assimilate into white america..

The funny thing is that many whites are also shocked at their racism. Partly because whites are less racist than these immigrants think (or at least are PC about it) but also because whites hate them just as much...

Last edited by moionfire; 10-13-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 PM

943 posts, read 782,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
same with caribbean people. a lot of jamaicans , haitians , bajans hate black americans. i wont even lie my mom is sadly part of that.

i always have to talk to my mom about her ignorant views smh. at the end of the day no matter where you from either being a black latino , the Caribbean or African, or any place in the world where your super dark/black you will get viewed the same as a black person.

no one of another race walking down the street has the time to ask if your an immigrant black so they can let you slide before stereotyping you.

so black immigrants hating on black Americans is just pure retardness.

cause here in nyc , you got your african and west indian thugs/goons that will rob you just as fast. don't sleep please and assume only black americans are doing the robbings.
It is funny you say that. I met a haitian person who would say the most silly things. We were discussing colorism in the haitian community- and she blurted out that it is the "black american fault."

She also said he father thinks black americans are all on welfare and something

I heard a jamaican claim that the gang problem in the jamaican community is because they are copying "black american culture."

What bothers me isn't the anti-black american sentiment but how brain dead and outdated the stereotypes/sentiments are. I mean how can you blaim a foreign ethnic group for the interal problems in your country???

White racist at least update their stereotypes...

I think the problem too is that black american culture(like US culture in general) is pervasive that people think they know everything about black people and develop complexes.

Last edited by moionfire; 10-13-2010 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
There is racism everywhere. Blacks don't like whites, hispanics, etc. and hispanic don't like whites or blacks. it doesn't matter; it is there and everywhere. And personally, i am sick of it all. if we lived in an all white society they would find something else, and often they have, it is called class distinction. the rich hating the poor and visa versa. i remember reading how some atheists blame christainity for wars, and yet if we were all atheists we would find another reason to fight.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
It is funny you say that. I met a haitian person who would say the most silly things. We were discussing colorism in the haitian community- and she blurted out that it is the "black american fault."

She also said he father thinks black americans are all on welfare and something

I heard a jamaican claim that the gang problem in the jamaican community is because they are copying "black american culture."

What bothers me isn't the anti-black american sentiment but how brain dead and outdated the stereotypes/sentiments are. I mean how can you blaim a foreign ethnic group for the interal problems in your country???

White racist at least update their stereotypes...

I think the problem too is that black american culture(like US culture in general) is pervasive that people think they know everything about black people and develop complexes.
For non-Black American "Blacks" it is the same pattern of attempting to stand apart from the stigma that Black Americans have of being at the bottom of the American totem pole.

In many cases, the average person can not tell the difference between a Black person whose ancestors arrived in America on a slave ship 300 years ago and a 2nd generation child of Carribean/Afro-Latin parents based on looks alone. There is a "resentment" that the immigrant Blacks have with being treated as 2nd or 3rd class citizens regardless of the strides that they have made.

What I find ironic is that they turn to the oppression tactics used by those at the top of the totem pole instead of acknowledging the strides and sacrifices that Black Americans (and others) have made (during the Civil Rights movement and beyond) that even make it possible for them to gain access to the American dream and work toward irradicating the stereotypes.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 7,856 times
I didn't know cubans disliked black people

Then again I don't know very many cubans

Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 7,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
There is racism everywhere. Blacks don't like whites, hispanics, etc. and hispanic don't like whites or blacks.
That is not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies