Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
Touché, that's why I don't fly that flag either. The flag I have hanging in front of my house is my state flag.
That's right. Blacks never had a battle flag. They never fought for their independence. Well, we Cherokees did fight the whites. We were grossly outnumbered and out gunned. We lost. But at least we had the gumption to fight them.

I am surprised that your Grandmother was Cherokee though. The Cherokee most often considered the Blacks as being uncivilized and barbaric heathens. We also considered the whites as being barbarians and an uncivilized lot as well.

We called ourselves "the Human Beings". We were a peaceful people unless riled. We even established the first recognized Confederacy comprised of the five civilized tribes. LOL!!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The question here is, who was attacking who?

It is certainly true that the south attacked Ft Sumter to dislodge the US military that was stationed in Charleston harbor. The question then is, was the Civil War caused by the attack on Ft Sumter?

The South attacked, and stupidly started a war they could not win.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
That's right. Blacks never had a battle flag. They never fought for their independence. Well, we Cherokees did fight the whites. We were grossly outnumbered and out gunned. We lost. But at least we had the gumption to fight them.

I am surprised that your Grandmother was Cherokee though. The Cherokee most often considered the Blacks as being uncivilized and barbaric heathens. We also considered the whites as being barbarians and an uncivilized lot as well.

We called ourselves "the Human Beings". We were a peaceful people unless riled. We even established the first recognized Confederacy comprised of the five civilized tribes. LOL!!
That's why so many streets and towns and lakes and school teams were named after Native Americans. Because they earned much respect with their tenacity and combat skills.

One thing the Europeans/Americans love, a good fight.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Quote:

My grandmother married a White man from the Netherlands, and yes her people did consider whites to be barbarians so this was controversial. And you are right, the cherokee were the most racist tribe, and I can see that racism in your blood today as you constantly make disparaging remarks about the black race (and somehow you haven't been banned from the forum yet which is surprising). Most other native tribes though were very accepting of blacks, and they always welcomed runaway slaves into their tribes and let them marry native women. This happened so often. Whites actually passed a law prohibiting it, hoping to give blacks slaves less incentive to run away. In 1622 natives attacked Jamestown and killed all the whites and took the black slaves back with them and accepted them as free members of their tribe.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As is usual, this "debate" has grown exceedingly complicated and tedious. The fact remains , that this is America. You can fly whatever flag on your lawn you want to make whatever statement you see fit. Personally, I prefer to see First Nationals, Battle Flags, Gardens and Naval Jacks to the growing number of Mexican banners going up around here.

The statement that the latter makes, I find offensive. Far more so than one proclaiming a connection to the CSA. At least the Confederacy is part of AMERICAN history. This argument hasn't been solved in 150 years, and won't ever be. That war left a permanent and only half healed scar on our nation. But the fact remains we are all Americans. I rather like Charlie Daniels take on it.....We'll all stick together ..and you can take that to the bank...that's the Cowboys and the Hippies...and the Rebels and the Yanks. At the end of the day, that's truth.

No we are not. That is a fallacy. The South still hates the North and Lincoln, and we in the North think he was one of the greatest Presidents ever. How many times have you been in the South and had that damn war brought up into every single conversation?

Take note of the huge monuments to Washington, Lincoln, and WWII on the National Mall. I don't seem to recall a monument to Jefferson Davis anywhere on the Mall in DC. Yet if it was up to the Southern half of this nation the Lincoln Monument would be torn down and replaced with a monument to Davis.

This country is doomed to break apart sooner rather than later. I feel much more connection with the people in my region and Europe than I do with those in Texas and Mississippi.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Confederate or Northern, what difference does somebody's sexual preference make anyways! and that word is not very nice.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
My grandmother married a White man from the Netherlands, and yes her people did consider whites to be barbarians so this was controversial. And you are right, the cherokee were the most racist tribe, and I can see that racism in your blood today as you constantly make disparaging remarks about the black race (and somehow you haven't been banned from the forum yet which is surprising). Most other native tribes though were very accepting of blacks, and they always welcomed runaway slaves into their tribes and let them marry native women. This happened so often. Whites actually passed a law prohibiting it, hoping to give blacks slaves less incentive to run away. In 1622 natives attacked Jamestown and killed all the whites and took the black slaves back with them and accepted them as free members of their tribe.
Me? You can into the thread spouting your racism from the git-go. I've had fun picking at you and a few of the other Black racists on this and other threads. Most of you have claimed to be college graduates with degrees and fantastic high-paying jobs (I don't know when you work since you are always on here) but you all want folks to believe you just walked in out of the cotton field to get your daily beating by your Black slave owner.

I'll bet none of you "former slaves" ever picked a boll of cotton in your entire lives. Well, this old Cherokee has picked his share of cotton as a kid growing up.

What really tears you all up is because I tell it like it is. I am better off and so are all of you. You just can't get away from playing victim.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
No we are not. That is a fallacy. The South still hates the North and Lincoln, and we in the North think he was one of the greatest Presidents ever. How many times have you been in the South and had that damn war brought up into every single conversation?

Take note of the huge monuments to Washington, Lincoln, and WWII on the National Mall. I don't seem to recall a monument to Jefferson Davis anywhere on the Mall in DC. Yet if it was up to the Southern half of this nation the Lincoln Monument would be torn down and replaced with a monument to Davis.

This country is doomed to break apart sooner rather than later. I feel much more connection with the people in my region and Europe than I do with those in Texas and Mississippi.
So you hate the Northern people that have moved into Mississippi and into Texas as well as all the Hispanics that have always lived in Texas and those that have recently moved there. Is there anyone you do not hate? I am Cherokee, do you hate me also? Are you also a former slave who has just been beaten by your Black slave master? Or was he a Cherokee? LOL.

This is America. There is no North or South. It's all in your little defeatist mindset.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:

Well, this old Cherokee has picked his share of cotton as a kid growing up.
You may have picked cotton, but your Cherokee ancestors used black slaves. They eventually became the Freedmen and members of the tribe. Their ancestors were always considered Cherokees until they were kicked out of the tribe in the 1980s so the Red Cherokees could get more of the government indian money.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
You may have picked cotton, but your Cherokee ancestors used black slaves. They eventually became the Freedmen and members of the tribe. Their ancestors were always considered Cherokees until they were kicked out of the tribe in the 1980s so the Red Cherokees could get more of the government indian money.
Did you pick cotton or were you a "house boy"? Yeah, that proves the Cherokees were smarter than the Blacks, but then, who isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies