Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Rednecks fly it... if Southern folks are truly interested in flying a flag for the purpose of remembering soldiers who died in the Civil War, they would fly the official flag of the Confederacy -- the Stars and Bars, not the Battle Flag. The Battle Flag was resurrected in the 1950's as a symbol against forced integration, civil rights, etc... it has nothing to do with pride for the soldiers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. "Southern Gentlemen" don't fly that flag... and as for folks who don't even come from the South? Well, you know what that's about.
Exactly. This is the "Confederate Flag" that most people think of. It's a symbol of hatred and nothing more.

Not to mention the fact that the Civil War is associated with slavery, regardless of what may or may not be historically correct. Most who fly the official Confederate Flag do so under the assumption, albeit a somewhat false assumption, that the Confederate Flag represents support of slavery.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Cancerian
So you are equating the CSA, a nation that believed in equality for all (black, white, women, and men) according to its President, Jefferson Davis, with an ideology that believed in oppression of non-Aryans, and the rights of everyone.
If they believed in equality, then why weren't whites eligible for slavery? Oh, and for believing in equal rights, they sure got the KKK going pretty quick after the war didn't they? You cannot believe in equality and at the same time believe in the oppression of a certain segment of society. The south did just that. And after the war they did everything just short of that.

Quote:
Originally posted by arctichomesteader
Lincoln wanted to deport all Blacks to Africa. The Confederates were not all pro-slavery, many in fact hated it. They were willing to give up slavery entirely for British recognition...

Neither side was really that great as far as treating Blacks...but with the North we got more tyranny out of it as everyone was made slaves of the feds.
No, the north was not much better. They were racist in their own way, but you cannot argue that the CSA believed in equality for all people like Cancerian did. And sorry, but we Americans don't know the first thing about tyranny. Go to China, Zimbabwe, Iran, and then maybe you'll stop crying about "tyranny" from the safety of your own computer. Some people have no clue.

To the OP: To me, the Confederate flag is an interesting historical artifact. Outside of that, I despise it for what it symbolizes. But I know it means a lot to southerners (who will soon be my neighbors) because their ancestors--whom I don't all paint with a broad brush--fought under that flag. I understand that. I also don't spend my time thinking about it, so it's not a huge deal, but I will never allow such a thing in my home.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Exactly. This is the "Confederate Flag" that most people think of. It's a symbol of hatred and nothing more.

Not to mention the fact that the Civil War is associated with slavery, regardless of what may or may not be historically correct. Most who fly the official Confederate Flag do so under the assumption, albeit a somewhat false assumption, that the Confederate Flag represents support of slavery.
It's more than a symbol of hatred, and if flying it engenders discussion of that fact, I think I'll go out today and buy a few. People shouldn't jump to the conclusion that their interpretations of symbols are universal interpretations. Symbols mean different things to different people.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Then there is are the people who dispaly the flag as a way of giving the finger to whomever it is they wish to **** off.

I have heard people admit to that.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
To me, the Confederate flag is a symbol of revolution. The flag did not promote slavery, nor was slavery the mode du jour of the South. The war between the states was not fought over slavery. I am a northerner, but I see the Confederate flag as a symbol of what might need to be done in order to get away from the controlling, bloated, invasive Federal government.

The South had a constitutional right to secede if they wanted to.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
I've kept a 'stars and bars' bandana posted to a prominent place in my closet wall for well over twenty years.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
IMHO flying the Confederate flag is treasonous.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by DC at the Ridge
It's more than a symbol of hatred, and if flying it engenders discussion of that fact, I think I'll go out today and buy a few. People shouldn't jump to the conclusion that their interpretations of symbols are universal interpretations. Symbols mean different things to different people.
I agree. My family came over after the Civil War, so it doesn't symbolize treason like it would others. But it DOES symbolize hatred and a desire to oppress blacks--especially when used by hate groups. But I also know there are many good people in the south who probably had ancestors who fought under the flag believing they were fighting for states' rights (at least, that's what the slaveholders told them ) To them it might symbolize respect for their ancestors, and hatred might not come into the equation.

I say, fine, let them have their monuments and their flags. I'm not going to have a stroke over it. It was 150 years ago. Oh well.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I agree. My family came over after the Civil War, so it doesn't symbolize treason like it would others. But it DOES symbolize hatred and a desire to oppress blacks--especially when used by hate groups. But I also know there are many good people in the south who probably had ancestors who fought under the flag believing they were fighting for states' rights (at least, that's what the slaveholders told them ) To them it might symbolize respect for their ancestors, and hatred might not come into the equation.

I say, fine, let them have their monuments and their flags. I'm not going to have a stroke over it. It was 150 years ago. Oh well.
I don't have a problem with people having their monuments and their flags even if the reason is to promote or support hatred. No matter how repugnant your thoughts are, you have the right to express them. I simply wouldn't choose to associate in any way with someone who flew the flag, because I have a fairly firm belief that at least 95% of those flying the flag are doing so out of hatred.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Default All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know this is a controversial topic, but I am truly interested.

I live in NY, where I would probably get killed for flying the flag. I honestly think it is a beautiful flag, and I love the history behind it. The symbolism, that an abusive government that punishes certain states can be thrown out, and that states have the right to secede.

So do you fly a Battle Flag, either on your vehicle (could be a bumper sticker), your house (inside or outside).

I am more interested in people who actually fly the flag, why do you do it, and where do you live. I have seen a few in PA, OH, and MANY further South, as well as a few as far west as Arizona. (the only place in the upper South where I don't see them is Northern VA, DC, and Maryland).
The Confederate flag has been hijacked by the white supremacist groups. At this point to fly it you are automatically considered to be a KKK member.
I had 7 family members die in the war between the states fighting for the Confederacy. I do not consider myself a racist when passing through Vicksburg or Gettysburg i place a confederate flag on their grave. I honor their life and times.
The flag was a symbol of state rights.

Last edited by wjtwet; 05-13-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies