Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I hate to break it to you, but science is not that black and white. There are a million things that could explain homosexuality. Just because something isn't genetic doesn't mean it's a choice. People tan in the sun but that's not a choice. People get lung disease from poor air quality but that's not a choice. Not only that, the thread title is misleading and scientists aren't actually sure that it's not genetic.
Not born Homosexual, choice, mental disorder or whatever. Feel free to have your own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Don't bother hateful ignorant people with nuance.
I have my opinion and it won't include calling you any names, your free to an opinion also.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Why is the nature vs, nurture question even relevant? I don't know why I'm heterosexual-- I never chose to be. It's not as though I look at Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, and and make a conscious decision as to which I'm attracted to.

For that matter, what if we accept the argument that homosexuality is a conscious choice. I still don't understand why someone's being gay affects me. People have a right to live their lives without the imposition of other people's moral hang-ups. As long as there's no force, or manipulation of those incapable of consenting; what business is it of anyone else's?

Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Why is the nature vs, nurture question even relevant? I don't know why I'm heterosexual-- I never chose to be. It's not as though I look at Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, and and make a conscious decision as to which I'm attracted to.

For that matter, what if we accept the argument that homosexuality is a conscious choice. I still don't understand why someone's being gay affects me. People have a right to live their lives without the imposition of other people's moral hang-ups. As long as there's no force, or manipulation of those incapable of consenting; what business is it of anyone else's?
Exactly.
I love that these simpletons are actually telling ME that I actually chose it. I actually sat down, thought about it, and chose it. I CHOSE to have chemistry between me and another man. I CHOSE to turn off those internal feelings when I look and speak to a female. I must be a super hero with these kinds of powers.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
what I don't understand is how all these people refuse to even listen to personal accounts of gay people.. like we're out to lie about our lives.. like being gay is a conspiracy movement or something.. it's so bizarre...
If I wanted to understand why people are the way they are.. I would listen to them.. ask questions.. and try to grasp the issue with the people it impacts..
I don't understand how someone can sit and call us all liars.. and say they know better.. scientists don't even know better.. this article only says that they don't know...
so how does it get to "mental disorder" and choice.. and anything said otherwise is a lie...
it's so insulting.. like we're idiots... we only have lived our entire lives dealing with the issue.. I mean jesus christ..these people really are bigots.. there's no other way around it

Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Now that the Gene theory is debunked I guess it's not "born that way" after all, looks like choice and mental disorder are back on top
The "gene" theory has not been debunked. The media's claim of a single "gay gene" has been debunked.- by the same scientists who never claimed that they expected to find a single gene. They aren't that stupid. Human sexuality is far too complex. Yes, there is evidence that there is a genetic component.

You won't find any reputable scientist or health professional saying that homosexuality is a choice or a mental disorder. They'd have to ignore all the evidence like the "pray away the gay" people and homobigots do.

Here's some research you can do:

Sexual hormones and the brain: an essential alliance for sexual identity and sexual orientation (2010)
Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35. Epub 2009 Nov 24. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF.

The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb.

However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in extreme cases in trans-sexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain.

There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

“Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.

The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy”

__________________________________________________ _____

Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior (2007).

During the intrauterine period the human brain develops in the male direction via direct action of a boy's testosterone, and in the female direction through the absence of thishormone in a girl. During this time, gender identity (the feeling of being a man or a woman), sexual orientation, and other behaviors are programmed.

As sexual differentiation of the genitals takes places in the first 2 months of pregnancy, and sexual differentiation of the brain starts during the second half of pregnancy, these two processes may be influenced independently of each other, resulting in transsexuality. This also means that in the case of an ambiguous gender at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the same degree of masculinization of the brain.

Differences in brain structures and brain functions have been found that are related to sexual orientation and gender.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

“There is a long-standing debate on the role of genetic factors influencing homosexuality because the presence of these factors contradicts the Darwinian prediction according to which natural selection should progressively eliminate the factors that reduce individual fecundity and fitness. Recently, however, Camperio Ciani, Corna, and Capiluppi (Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences, 271, 2217-2221, 2004), comparing the family trees of homosexuals with heterosexuals, reported a significant increase in fecundity in the females related to the homosexual probands from the maternal line but not in those related from the paternal one.” (2008)
New evidence of genetic factors influencing sexual... [Arch Sex Behav. 2009] - PubMed result

"I demonstrate that the number of biological older brothers, including those not reared with the participant (but not the number of nonbiological older brothers), increases the probability of homosexuality in men. These results provide evidence that a prenatal mechanism(s), and not social and/or rearing factors, affects men's sexual orientation development."

"Biological Versus Nonbiological Older Brothers and Men’s Sexual Orientation," published by PNAS (Proceedings of the NationalAcademy of Sciences of the United States of America): Bogaert, A (2006)
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/28/10771.full.pdf
__________________________________________________ _______

"There's a converging line of evidence between the hormonal studies, the genetic studies , and the neuroanatomical studies. My research has identified candidate genes within these new chromosomal regions that could link together all of these different findings”

Mustanski, B. S.; DuPree, M. G.; Nievergelt, C. M.; Bocklandt, S.; Schork, N. J.; Hamer, D. H. (2005)
A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation. [Hum Genet. 2005] - PubMed result

__________________________________________________ _____

"Male homosexuals have had less steroid exposure during [fetal] development than male heterosexuals and... female homosexuals have had greater steroid exposure during development than their heterosexual counterparts."

Anthropometric Analysis of Homosexuals and Heterosexuals: Implications for Early Hormone Exposure Martin JT, Nguyen DH. Horm Behav. (2004)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14733889

__________________________________________________ __

"The determinants of sexual interest, in the sense of preferences for the same or opposite sex... appear to be caused by the neural organizational effects of the intrauterine hormonal events."

"Etiology of Anomalous Sexual Preference in Men," (2003) Annals of the New YorkAcademy of Sciences: Quinsey V.L
The etiology of anomalous sexual preference... [Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

__________________________________________________ ___

"A growing body of empirical literature suggests that the brains of gay males are less masculinized than those of heterosexual males, reflected in visual-spatial task performance -- a measure of cerebral masculinazation and one in which heterosexual males usually surpass females.

Several studies report that the cognitive performance of gay males is more typical of heterosexual females than heterosexual males.

Furthermore, the brain waves of gay males while performing verbal and spatial tasks are more similar to heterosexual females than males or significantly different from both."

Relationships among childhood sex-atypical behavior, spatial ability, handedness, and sexual orientation in men. Cohen KM. Arch Sex Behav. (2002)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11910786

__________________________________________________ _

And a few more:

Camperio Ciani, A., Cermelli, P., & Zanzotto, G. (2008). Sexually
antagonistic selection in human male homosexuality. Plos One, in
press.

Rahman, Q., Collins, A., Morrison, M., Orrells, J. C., Cadinouche, K.,
Greenfield, S., et al. (2008). Maternal inheritance and familial
fecundity factors in male homosexuality. Archives of Sexual
Behavior, 37.

Camperio Ciani, A., Iemmola, F., & Lombardi, L. (2008). Male
homosexuality partly correlates with an increased androphilia
and fecundity in females from maternal line

Vasey, P. L., & VanderLaan, D. P. (2007). Birth order and male
androphilia in Samoan fa’afafine. Proceedings of the Royal
Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences, 274, 1437–1442.

Blanchard, R., & Lippa, R. A. (2007). Birth order, sibling sex ratio,
handedness, and sexual orientation of male and female participants
in a BBC Internet research project. Archives of Sexual
Behavior, 36, 163–176.

Savolainen,V.,&Lehmann,L. (2007). Genetics and bisexuality. Nature,
445, 158–159.

Bogaert, A. F. (2006). Biological versus nonbiological older brothers
and men’s sexual orientation. Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences, 103, 10771–10774.

Rahman, Q., & Hull, M. S. (2005). An empirical test of the kin
selection hypothesis for male homosexuality. Archives of Sexual
Behavior, 34, 461–467.

King, M., Green, J., Osborn, D. P. J., Arkell, J., Hetherton, J., &
Pereira, E. (2005). Family size in white gay and heterosexual men.
Archives of Sexual Behavior, 34, 117–122.

Camperio Ciani, A., Corna, F., & Capiluppi, C. (2004). Evidence for
maternally inherited factors favouring male homosexuality and
promoting female fecundity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of
London, Series B: Biological Sciences, 271, 2217–2221.

DuPree,M.G.,Mustanski, B. S.,Bocklandt, S., Nievergelt, C.,&Hamer,
D. H. (2004). A candidate gene study of CYP19 (aromatase) and
male sexual orientation. Behavior Genetics, 34, 243–250.

Blanchard, R. (2004). Quantitative and theoretical analyses of the
relation between older brothers and homosexuality in men.
Journal of Theoretical Biology, 230, 173–187.

Bobrow, D., & Bailey, J. M. (2001). Is male homosexuality maintained
via kin selection? Evolution and Human Behavior, 22, 361–368.

Bailey, J. M., Pillard, R. C., Dawood, K., Miller, M. B., Farrer, L. A.,
Tivedi, S., et al. (1999). A family history study of male sexual
orientation using three independent samples. Behavior Genetics,
29, 79–86.

Blanchard, R. (1997). Birth order and sibling sex ratio in homosexual
versus heterosexual males and females. Annual Review of Sex
Research, 8, 27–67.

Blanchard, R., & Klassen, P. (1997). H-Y antigen and homosexuality
in men. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 185, 373–378.

Hu,S., Pattatucci,A.M., Patterson, C.,Li,L.,Fulker,D.W.,Cherny, S.S.,
et al. (1995). Linkage between sexual orientation and chromosome
Xq28 in males but not in females. Nature Genetics, 11, 248–256.

Vasey, P. L. (1995). Homosexual behavior in primates: A review of
evidence and theory. International Journal of Primatology, 16,
173–204.

Hamer, D. H., Hu, S., Magnuson, V. L., Hu, N., & Pattattucci, A. M.
(1993). A linkage between DNA markers on the X chromosome
and male sexual orientation. Science, 261, 321–327.

Bailey, J. M., & Pillard, R. C. (1991). A genetic study of male sexual
orientation. Archives of General Psychiatry, 48, 1089–1096.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I was always under the impression that the "gay gene" was simplistic language that indicated physical causes. That never was meant to mean that a single gene was responsible for people being gay...but it sure does seem like a lot of people jumped on that bandwagon and want to run with it and try to make some kind of point. Fail.

There is so much more than a single gene responsible for our physical selves. Surely anyone with a working brain knows that.
Apparently working brains are not a requirement for posting anti-gay comments on a forum.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The truth hurts, sorry.
As another poster said:

"If you ever stumbled across the truth, you'd pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue on as if it never happened"

Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Exactly.
I love that these simpletons are actually telling ME that I actually chose it. I actually sat down, thought about it, and chose it. I CHOSE to have chemistry between me and another man. I CHOSE to turn off those internal feelings when I look and speak to a female. I must be a super hero with these kinds of powers.
Apparently you are really really clever, if you chose the hormones that developed your brain....while you were still a fetus in your mother's uterus!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post

common sense, ever so uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies