Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times

Advertisements

A 6th state for Marriage Equality.

Life Free or Die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
A 6th state for Marriage Equality.

Life Free or Die!
Is that a threat?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM

58 posts, read 91,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
The NH govenor will not sign this current bill but if amended he will sign a new one.
New Hampshire governor says he'll sign gay marriage bill -- if changes are made - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

He states,

"If the Legislature passes this language, I will sign the same-sex marriage bill into law. If the Legislature doesn't pass these provisions, I will veto it," Lynch said. "We can and must treat both same-sex couples and people of certain religious traditions with respect and dignity. I believe this proposed language will accomplish both of these goals and I urge the Legislature to pass it."

So what do you guys think? I personally agree with him. I'm for gay marriage but people of certain religions deserve thier respect as well.

I'm all for gay marriage, but you cannot force a church that hates their guts and wants them to burn in hell to marry them. That's just outright idiotic.

Why not just ask for the churches who allow gay marriage to come forward so that the the churches who don't can do what they please? I mean it seems like a sensible and easy solution.

We humans really need to start realizing that we weren't just dropped here during the Paleolithic Era and left to fend for ourselves. We evolved just like all other animals, and there's proof to back it up.

By nature, we are very social, and with that comes social structure, or culture. We have traditions, values, ethics, rituals, laws, and social norms that are formed the associating with each other and accepting the opinions of others as fact, when it may not be so.

We are also a very primitive and violent race. Humans' brains may be highly developed, but when you can contemplate why the universe and everything itself exists, you may become naive, disregarding and ignoring the things that you don't understand because you're afraid of the vast abyss of space.

I hope that one day we can evolve into a peaceful and friendly species, with the exception of food and natural death.

Why do I say we're a primitive species? Because, although we may think we're advanced and the best there is, we still think and act like our ancient ancestors. We may not notice it, but murder, sabotage, annoyance, torture, fighting, and similar things are all traits passed down from our ancestors.

Sorry for going on and on, but I just wanted to get my point out there.
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:42 PM

274 posts, read 197,394 times
Who cares. Why dont they just go ahead and turn New England into a new state? You know Homosexualville or something.Thank goodness they are as far from me as they are.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Default Separation of church and state

State recognition does not force any church or denomination to perform ceremonies they object to, and religious ceremonies are not automatically recognized by the state without legal documents. Simple enough.

All the fuss over it lately is just a political tool to distract people's attention and skew voting. With all the problems going on in the world, it's hard to believe people obsess over who is sleeping with who Shut the TV and go interact with real people.

It's not as "new" as we think anyway...

Gay Marriage Is As Old As History

Last edited by nomore07; 05-17-2009 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Has anyone noticed that New England tends to be at the forefront of many progressive trends in the country?

1. first to ban slavery
2. first to institute universal, public education
3. first to allow interracial marriage
4. first to have Universal Health Care (in MA, anyway)
5. and now the first to allow gay marriage

Just a neutral observation.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
I think this demand makes Lynch look bad. He's validating irrational fears. Leaders shouldn't do that. There is no need for this language.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Has anyone noticed that New England tends to be at the forefront of many progressive trends in the country?
I wouldn't even call them progressive. I would call them fair. They have a history of egalitarianism that is unmatched anywhere else in the country. The Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa) would probably come in a close second, with their populist history.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The amendment he's requesting is unnecessary - churches have never been required to marry anyone - but whatever... I don't care if it's amended to include the language he wants.
Why do people bend backwards to please the Churches and religious people? The fact remains that the government cannot discriminate and no matter what religious BELIEFS there are, the BELIEFS SHOULD NOT BE imposed people.

So religions think gay marriage is wrong? Ok. You have every right to think it is wrong but you dont have any right to deny other people their happiness because of your religion. Especially if the gay person is a non Christian.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,305 times
This is stupid and completely unnecessary - not to mention a waste of time and money. Any church can refuse to marry anyone for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies