Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times

Advertisements

By ANDREW C. REVKIN
Published: May 14, 2009

A new analysis halves longstanding projections of how much sea levels could rise if Antarctica’s massive western ice sheets fully disintegrated as a result of global warming.

The flow of ice into the sea would probably raise sea levels about 10 feet rather than 20 feet, according to the analysis, published in the May 15 issue of the journal Science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/sc...ef=global-home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,930 times
Next thing we will be hearing that there is no global warming.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Next thing we will be hearing that there is no global warming.
what global warming i thought it was gobal cooling it's mighty cool this year..

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Some scientists believe that trying to stop global warming is a waste of time and resources. I like what the guy featured in this story has to say about it:

What if global-warming fears are overblown? - May. 14, 2009

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,538 times
The information we rarely get to hear is the fact that while the ice sheet is melting on the western side, it is spreading and thickening on the other side. Global warming is a cover for the fact that the Earth itself has shifted on it's axis. A shift of even a degree or two would create changes in weather patterns and different ecosystems. Places that once recieved certain rainfall amounts may now experience less or more rain. Places with normally "mild" to regular hot temps in the summer may now begin to experience much hotter and dryer summers. Or the opposite may be true, depending on where you were before the shift and where you are now. Remember, I am not talking about a massive movement. Just a small shift. But it would be enough to create the conditions we now attribute to global warming. It would also account for the melting ice on one side and the building ice on the other.

PS I first read about this in one of my books. Then I did some research on the net. Here is atleast one link to similar information.

Slashdot | Antarctic Ice Is Growing, Not Melting Away, At Davis Station

YouTube - Sea Ice Growing at Fastest Pace on Record

YouTube - Sea Ice Ends 2008 at Same Level as 1979

Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
No doubt some groups are capitalizing on the global warming issue for profit, but I always wonder why we don't just solve the problem.

Go to any major city trapped by air currents or in a developing country and you'll see crippling pollution. Not hard to extrapolate that to our tiny globe.

Either way, though, we can create jobs and stop polluting - whether that pollution gives local residents cancer or dooms our globe - we should all want to use human ingenuity to advance technologies and lifestyles to end it.

Why do conservatives fight progress of this nature? Seems like it's precisely what the free market could do best if the will power were there. But it's not, so they fight to hold on to primitive technologies.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Regardless of whether global warming is actually occurring, or how severe it may be, we are with 100% certainty creating pollution. Many of the tactics used to reduce global warming are also used to reduce pollution. Thus, the solutions need to be employed.

I don't think it's safe to trust a study such as this one when the other studies for quite some time have predicted a far more sinister scenario. We are wrecking the environment one way or another.

AUM, you sound wayyyy too much like a conservative in this thread man.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
AUM, you sound wayyyy too much like a conservative in this thread man.
What can I say. I am what I am.

I guess my conservatism on this issue serves as evidence that we look for whatever authoritative opinions we can find to back up our own personal opinions. It's very similar to the way people react to homosexuality. It doesn't matter how many doctors and scientists say it's normal; there will always be naysayers. Here am I, a naysayer on global warming, even when I know that the consensus is that global warming is real.

I think people do the same thing when it comes to religious beliefs and the Bible.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
Published: May 14, 2009

A new analysis halves longstanding projections of how much sea levels could rise if Antarctica’s massive western ice sheets fully disintegrated as a result of global warming.

The flow of ice into the sea would probably raise sea levels about 10 feet rather than 20 feet, according to the analysis, published in the May 15 issue of the journal Science.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/sc...ef=global-home

A 10 ft sea level rise would still be pretty bad. America would lose ciies like Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Pensacola FLA, Savannah GA, Charleston SC, Galveston and Corpus Christi TX, New York, NY and Long Island, Boston MA, Cape Cod MA, The shore towns of CT and NJ, Philadelphia PA, most of the state of Delaware, Baltimore MD, Ocean City MD and low lieing areas like Delmarva, Washington DC,Norfolk VA New Orleans and the Mississippi Delta. San Diego, costal parts of LA and a lot of the Bay Area, Seattle WA and part of Portland OR. coastal cities in Alaska like Juneau and Anchorage. If you like Panama City FL, The Outer Bank of NC, South Padre Island in TX they will be a memory along with any beach front property you might have.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
^^
That's music to the struggling industrial Midwest's ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies