Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can only Black people be called African Americans?
Yes 82 43.39%
No 97 51.32%
Unsure 7 3.70%
Other 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times

Advertisements

I'm going to say no. I read all the pages. It's a dark skinned guy on this board, he hate blacks. Not going to call his race or name. I've read his post and his history. I've told him --he hate other dark skinned people.

As a black woman, I've talked with different blacks. Ask them why do some blacks hate ...

Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
They would be considered Black-American.
No such thing.

If they purposefully have assimilated into the African American culture (Chamillionaire, Obama, whomever else) then they are African American. If not, they are Barbadian, Jamaican, Nigerian or whatever else.

They are black people. Blacks from the African Diaspora.

They are not "Black-American."

Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Would someone call me when there is a thread decrying the use of Irish American, German American, Italian American or any other? Frankly I am more than a bit tired of the obsessive fixation on the usage, definition or appropriateness of the term African American.
Africa is a continent, the others you listed are countries. Other than that, they are simply Americans. But the OP was a good question. If a black person comes here from Italy, are they now an African American or an Italian American?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

My opinion: Only first generation Americans should refer to their ethnicity in a hyphenated form. If you were born and raised in the U.S., you're an American.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,480 times
We the aftermath of a system called salary are the only group of people on the plant who have changed our name many times, and calling our selves Afro-American is like saying a scoop of ice cream is a ice cream cone.We the aftermath of a system called salary are the only group of people on the plant who have changed our name many times, and calling our selves Afro-American is like saying a scoop of ice cream is a ice cream cone.

We also the only group of people on the plant that is allowing other people to tell us who we are, where we came from, and how we are to act.

We are the only community in America that the innovators-builders-protectors-teachers-visionaries-the lead by example-creators have packed up and left leaving sad communities all over America that should be apart of Americas future, but are lost in disarray and we are killing each other.

We have turned our backs on our selves, and I say this its not the so called man who has done this, we did it and are still doing it to our selves. THE JOCK IS ON US!!!!!!!!

WE WILL NEVER GET OFF THIS FAST RIDE TO DEATH!!!! UNTIL THE ONES WHO CAN AND SHOULD GO BACK TO THEIR REAL COMMUNITIES DIG IN AND BUILD THE FUTURE FOR BLACK AMERICA. I WOULD LIKE OUR NAME TO BE AMERIKAN- THIS MEANS THE DESCENDENTS OF THE AMERICAN SALARY SYSTEM, WE ARE PART AFRICAN-EUROPEAN AND THE NATIVE AMERICAN.

THAT IS WHO WE ARE ON IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. AND ITS TIME TO STAND UP DO THE RIGHT THING, START TO CREATE THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN CREATED BEFORE WHICH HUMANITY NEEDS, THE EARTH NEEDS JUST LIKE THE MUSIC """JAZZ""" THIS MUSIC AND OTHERS IS OUR BIRTHRIGHT, WE CREATED IT AND ITS TIME TO STOP THE BULL**** AND GET BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH. WHICH WILL GET US OFF THE FAST RIDE TO DEATH.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I did not read through this thread, and I'm sure this point has been made multiple times, but I'll say it again -- my brother in law, an Arab from Morocco, is both African and a naturalized American, so I guess he's an African American.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
How can anyone say that only blacks can be called African-American? That makes no sense. If you want to categorize yourself by your skin color, then call yourself black or white or whatever.

My opinion: Only first generation Americans should refer to their ethnicity in a hyphenated form. If you were born and raised in the U.S., you're an American.
According the Supreme Court case Wong Kim Ark the parents must have permanent domicile and residency when the child is born in the US.

Your statement is not is not legally correct.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
This is why "African-American" is a stupid term. Just say "black." For example, what PC term do you think best describes this man?

The average PC person would probably say "ah, he is African-American." WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's African-British. Dude's from England!!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I did not read through this thread, and I'm sure this point has been made multiple times, but I'll say it again -- my brother in law, an Arab from Morocco, is both African and a naturalized American, so I guess he's an African American.
technically he would be a Moroccan American.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,480 times
Default The problem with black america

We the aftermath of a system called salary are the only group of people on the plant who have changed our name many times, and calling our selves Afro-American is like saying a scoop of ice cream is a ice cream cone.
We also the only group of people on the plant that is allowing other people to tell us who we are, where we came from, and how we are to act.

We are the only community in America that the innovators-builders-protectors-teachers-visionaries-the lead by example-creators have packed up and left leaving sad communities all over America that should be apart of Americas future, but are lost in disarray and we are killing each other.

We have turned our backs on our selves, and I say this its not the so called man who has done this, we did it and are still doing it to our selves. THE JOCK IS ON US!!!!!!!!

WE WILL NEVER GET OFF THIS FAST RIDE TO DEATH!!!! UNTIL THE ONES WHO CAN AND SHOULD GO BACK TO THEIR REAL COMMUNITIES DIG IN AND BUILD THE FUTURE FOR BLACK AMERICA. I WOULD LIKE OUR NAME TO BE AMERIKAN- THIS MEANS THE DESCENDENTS OF THE AMERICAN SALARY SYSTEM, WE ARE PART AFRICAN-EUROPEAN AND THE NATIVE AMERICAN. IT IS A SCIENTIFIC FACT THE GENERAL POPULATION CALLED AFRO-AMERICAN HAS A VERY UNIQUE GENETIC MAKEUP AND ITS ALSO VERY COMPLEX.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT WE LOOK LIKE, WE ARE UNIQUE JUST AS THE CHINESE ARE TO KOREAN, THEY MIGHT LOOK SOME WHAT ALIKE BUT THE HAVE DIFFERENT WAS TO LIVING, EATING, AND INTERACTING.

WE ARE YOUNG, AND STILL NOT UNDERSTANDING THE COMPLETE PICTURE OF WHO WE ARE, AND THE THINGS WE ARE CAPABLE OF DOING. BUT WITH TIME AND REBUILDING OUR COMMUNITIES IT WILL BE OK.

THERE ARE ON IFS ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT. AND ITS TIME TO STAND UP DO THE RIGHT THING, START TO CREATE THINGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN CREATED BEFORE, THINGS THAT ARE GOOD FOR ALL HUMANITY, AND SAFE FOR PLANT. JUST LIKE THE MUSIC """JAZZ""" THIS MUSIC AND OTHERS IS OUR BIRTHRIGHT, WE CREATED IT AND ITS TIME TO STOP THE BULL**** AND GET BACK ON THE RIGHT PATH. WHICH WILL GET US OFF THIS FAST RIDE TO DEATH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies