Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the increase in out-of-wedlock births a bad or good thing?
Bad 84 83.17%
Good 4 3.96%
No impact/influence 11 10.89%
Unsure 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
The nuclear family as we know it is an artificial construct. Even within the past century, many people
lived with an extended family that might include grandparents, aunts, uncles, even boarders. There are still some matriarchal societies that we might learn from; the Hispanic practice of putting the mother's maiden name last is a remnant of matriarchy in such societies.

Mosuo, One of the Last Matriarchal Societies - The land where women rule! - Softpedia
That's nice.

So, what's your opinion on the increase of out-of-wedlock births?

Good for a society, bad, indifferent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
The nuclear family as we know it is an artificial construct. Even within the past century, many people
lived with an extended family that might include grandparents, aunts, uncles, even boarders. There are still some matriarchal societies that we might learn from; the Hispanic practice of putting the mother's maiden name last is a remnant of matriarchy in such societies.

Mosuo, One of the Last Matriarchal Societies - The land where women rule! - Softpedia
An extended family is different from a single mother.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

The hispanics have a matriarchal system but the hispanic countries are also impoverished and you see the young mothers with their many children out begging on the sidewalks. 4 or 5 families living crowded in one little shack isn't something we should want to imitate.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,732 times
It is just surprising that the concept of wearing a condom is so foreign to some.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
It depends. Some situations its better if the parents are apart. Sometimes the environment is too toxic for a child. Constant fighting and yelling.

See, the number one indicator of whether or not the child does well is not the number of parents, but rather how large the support system. So a single parent with a wide network will be better off than traditional family with a very small network.The children don't get exposed to different views. Also, a wider network is able to share more of the burden. Calling friends and family to babysit so you can recharge vs. you and your partner constantly having to be with the kid and not being able to recharge.

With that said, a single parent without a wide network is the worst position since, well, one is less than two and hence even smaller than the smallest traditional family network.

Being a healthy person will give you the strength to be a healthy parent.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Default Do you think the increase in unwed mothers is a bad or good influence/thing on our society?

Of course it's bad.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM

48 posts, read 62,101 times
According to the book Freakanomics, unwed mothers have a greater chance of raising a child that will commit a crime. The author espoused that because of Roe v Wade crime went down in the 90s. He theorized that women who were forced to have their babies were the ones who had already decided they couldn't afford one or weren't ready to care for one. So when they were allowed to have abortions it prevented a poor child care raising situation. He saw a sharp decrease in crime in the 90s when those babies would have reached their 20s. Now I think there are more lax standards. So according to the Freakanomics author crime will rise.

I personally think it's awful. I think we are becoming more and more like that movie Idiocracy where everyone had an IQ of less than 80.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Its an AMAZING thing to see unwed mothers with children *rolls eyes*. What positives would someone find in out of wedlock births?

Those on the right seemed to think there was something positive about Bristol Palin's pregnancy...they even cheered her condition at the GOP convention...Or have you forgotten?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
According to the book Freakanomics, unwed mothers have a greater chance of raising a child that will commit a crime. The author espoused that because of Roe v Wade crime went down in the 90s. He theorized that women who were forced to have their babies were the ones who had already decided they couldn't afford one or weren't ready to care for one. So when they were allowed to have abortions it prevented a poor child care raising situation. He saw a sharp decrease in crime in the 90s when those babies would have reached their 20s. Now I think there are more lax standards. So according to the Freakanomics author crime will rise.

I personally think it's awful. I think we are becoming more and more like that movie Idiocracy where everyone had an IQ of less than 80.
I think so, too.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That's nice.

So, what's your opinion on the increase of out-of-wedlock births?

Good for a society, bad, indifferent.
I'm one who voted that it makes little difference. Ideally, a child would have a variety of people in their extended family, and so become well-rounded and accustomed to people of both genders and of various ages. The problem seems to be more that too many males abdicate their responsibilities to any children in their families. Anyone who has been subjected to a "shot-gun" wedding will testify that such marriages fail more often than not. In fact, with the divorce rate hovering at slightly over 50%, more children are being raised by single parents anyway.
I raised my son alone after he was 3 and I divorced his father (some people aren't meant by nature to be parents). I taught him how to fish, to
play softball, went to his practices and games, did not say "I told you so!" when he broke his leg playing football, spent hours reading to him and playing games like Yahtzee and Uno, etc. He made it through one of the best liberal arts colleges in the Midwest and is married to a wonderful
young woman. His birth father would have been a hindrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies