Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

Attached is an article of a San Diego hotel owner trying to make-up to the gay community for supporting Prop 8. Boycotts\ demonstrations do work
NEWS RELEASE May 14, 2009

Manchester P R Agent Howard Bragman Speaks Out on Boycott Offe
Today's Bay Area Reporter Full Story!
By Seth Hemmelgarn

It's not support for same-sex marriage, but a San Diego hotel owner that's been the focus of a long-running boycott because of his support of Proposition 8 apparently is trying to woo back his gay customers by donating $25,000 to promote civil unions.

The San Diego Union Tribune reported Friday, May 8 that Doug Manchester, chairman of the company that owns the Manchester Grand Hyatt and the Grand Del Mar in San Diego, would give "$25,000 to a national organization that promotes civil unions and domestic partnerships."

Manchester became the focus of an outpouring of anger last year when he gave $125,000 to help get Prop 8 on the ballot.
Manchester also was thinking about offering $100,000 in credit to local LGBT organizations so they could use the Grand Hyatt for fundraisers and other events, the paper reported.Howard Bragman, a gay publicist who founded the firm 15 Minutes and is working with Manchester on this issue "as a consultant," said that Manchester's "giving $25,000 to an undetermined organization or organizations and $100,000 in-kind."

Manchester did not respond to a request for comment. Bragman confirmed that Kelly Commerford, director of marketing at the Manchester Grand Hyatt, originally made the announcement at the recent International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association convention in Toronto. Commerford didn't respond to a request for comment.

The labor union UNITE HERE Local 30, Californians Against Hate, and others launched the boycott last summer. Manchester made his contribution in January 2008, before the proposal to ban same-sex marriages in California qualified for the November ballot and became Prop 8. The measure passed in November.

In a statement about Manchester's proposal, Fred Karger, founder of Californians Against Hate, wrote, "Countless groups and individuals have canceled well over 100,000 room-nights. Over 12 large meetings and conventions have left the hotel ... At the Manchester Grand Hyatt alone, after just four months they said that they had lost $2.4 million. Now they are saying that over $7 million has been lost from the boycott. It's probably much higher."

Asked about Karger's statement, Bragman said, "We're not confirming any of that information." It's privately held property and "it's nobody's business," he said. Brigette Browning, president of UNITE HERE Local 30, said in a statement, "An apology is too little, too late from Mr. Manchester, who consistently spoke in favor of Proposition 8 throughout the campaign. Further, his statement did not address the lack of job security and onerous housekeeper workload at the Manchester Hyatt that motivated the union to boycott the hotel in the first place."

Local 30's Dan Rottenstreich told the Bay Area Reporter that, "The boycott is on but we are open and willing to engage in a meaningful conversation about what it would take to end the boycott. We aren't going to trade our civil rights for hotel vouchers." According to 15 Minutes' Web site, Bragman's record spans more than two decades of AIDS/HIV activism, LGBT rights, and other causes.

Asked about working with Manchester, Bragman said, "I'm tired of being the whipping boy. When I get involved with a client, it's to build a bridge. The reason we, the gay community, lost Proposition 8 was because we did not build enough bridges to outside groups. In the case of Doug Manchester, we have a man who acknowledged his mistake. He apologized, and he has committed no more money against gay marriage, and in fact, he has committed an equal amount in favor of legal domestic partnerships and civil unions. In other words, this man is trying to build a bridge." As for whose idea it was to offer the money to support civil unions and domestic partnerships, Bragman said, "I don't think that matters. Ultimately, it's Mr. Manchester's decision, right?"
-- end --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Boycotting works.
I like it when people vote with their pocketbooks.
It does make a difference.

I don't believe Manchester backed down for any altruistic or humanitarian reason; It was the bottom line only.

I hope that all organizations/businesses who financially supported Prop 8 have the same financial issues.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Homophobe?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Sounds like bribery to me.

And he is probably not a homophobe but a heterophyllic (supports heterosexuality).

Old 05-15-2009, 11:31 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Sounds like bribery to me.

And he is probably not a homophobe but a heterophyllic (supports heterosexuality).

i think that i read that he is a strong catholic, so he probably is a homophobe, hate to say it. the guy obviously loves $$. there is a huge gay community in so cal and they DO like to spend their $$. it makes business sense that he would like to accomodate the gay dollars.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i think that i read that he is a strong catholic, so he probably is a homophobe, hate to say it. the guy obviously loves $$. there is a huge gay community in so cal and they DO like to spend their $$. it makes business sense that he would like to accomodate the gay dollars.
how is being against gay marraige make you a homophobe

Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Bottom line is $ and the bigots get real uneasy when it effects their wallets. Prop 8 has made homophobic people regret their support of bigotry.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
yeah, it doesn't take much to be called a homophobe in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Homophobe?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
well it def. makes you supportive of discriminatory policies.

would you call someone who opposed voting rights for black folk a racist?

maybe not a racist, but def. someone supportive of discriminatory policies.

one is overt. the other is subtle.

both bigotted.

O ya, money talks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
how is being against gay marraige make you a homophobe

Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Good... vote with your pocketbook... these business owners in California are feeling it... I remember reading about the director of the symphony in Sacramento donated large sums to the Prop 8 folks... his career is ruined because we all know gays dominate the arts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies