Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times

Advertisements

Why is it that it seems that "We The People" are the only ones that aren't getting a piece of the pie? This is crazy! Wake up people, we are getting fleeced every day.

The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. was the first to disclose Thursday that it had been notified by the Treasury Department that it was eligible for $3.4 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. Lincoln National Corp., which commonly goes by the name Lincoln Financial Group, said it has been initially approved for a $2.5 billion injection from TARP's Capital Purchase Program.

Insurers get preliminary OK for Treasury funds (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090515/ap_on_bi_ge/us_insurers_tarp;_ylt=AtMrCAvu9GO3xcNvOfbtpyus0NUE ;_ylu=X3oDMTJpZGtxOWhqBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNTE1L3Vz X2luc3VyZXJzX3RhcnAEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDeW5fdG 9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNpbnN1cmVyc2dldHA - broken link)-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Why is it that it seems that "We The People" are the only ones that aren't getting a piece of the pie? This is crazy! Wake up people, we are getting fleeced every day.
Well, who did you think Washington (all political parties) would help? The little guy or those who created the policies and regulations, and gave donations to thier re-election? It's win-win for those elected and those companies that were supposed to be regulated by Washington.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
The American citizen is being used by both parties to prop up a one world global economy. The latest ripoff, I've heard, of the American people is China will be selling cars to the US through General Motors. Didn't the American tax payer hand over billions to General Motors?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The government is run by bankers and corporates. You think we have any real say in what happens ?
We'll get tossed a bone here and there but nothing substantial.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
What was once good money, in the hands of American civilians, is now being used to promote bad business. Please tell me how this economic policy is going to cause prosperity?

Isnt this another form of trickle down economics?

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
What was once good money, in the hands of American civilians, is now being used to promote bad business. Please tell me how this economic policy is going to cause prosperity?

Isnt this another form of trickle down economics?
If you read the book by T. Friedman "The World is Flat" everything is relative. Prosperity can be many things such as a US company doing well in China or India. It's stock and value go up, in which it seems these days when the stock market goes up it is used as an indicator in how well the US economy is doing. And even though prosperity may not fall to the average American worker it may fall on the average Chinese or Indian worker, for example.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If you read the book by T. Friedman "The World is Flat" everything is relative. Prosperity can be many things such as a US company doing well in China or India. It's stock and value go up, in which it seems these days when the stock market goes up it is used as an indicator in how well the US economy is doing. And even though prosperity may not fall to the average American worker it may fall on the average Chinese or Indian worker, for example.
Oh great! Another Thomas Friedman "Outsourcing is Good/Borders are Bad" disciple..

Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Good to see my taxes go help out my company's competition. Terrific!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

519 posts, read 688,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post

The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. was the first to disclose Thursday that it had been notified by the Treasury Department that it was eligible for $3.4 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. Lincoln National Corp., which commonly goes by the name Lincoln Financial Group, said it has been initially approved for a $2.5 billion injection from TARP's Capital Purchase Program.

Insurers get preliminary OK for Treasury funds (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090515/ap_on_bi_ge/us_insurers_tarp;_ylt=AtMrCAvu9GO3xcNvOfbtpyus0NUE ;_ylu=X3oDMTJpZGtxOWhqBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNTE1L3Vz X2luc3VyZXJzX3RhcnAEY3BvcwM2BHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDeW5fdG 9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNpbnN1cmVyc2dldHA - broken link)-
Well we're Movin' on Up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky, We're movin' on up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
We've finally got a piece of the pie!

Fish don't fry in the kitchen,
Beans don't burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin'
Just to get up that hill.
Now we're up in the big leagues,
Gettin' our turn at bat!
As long as we live,
It's you and me, baby!
There ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Hooray, We're Movin' on Up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky! We're Movin' on Up!
Movin' on Up!
To the east side!
Movin' on Up!
We've finally got a piece of the pie!

Of course this only applies to Obama and is harem of Bailout Buddies.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Oh great! Another Thomas Friedman "Outsourcing is Good/Borders are Bad" disciple..
I'm guessing you think I agree with Friedman's enthusiastic glee to outsourcing? If so, I don't. However, reading this book I believe I understand a little bit more about what is going on around me and possibly what is going to happen in the future. So far, it aint looking so good. Read my earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies