Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

I need to stop reading/posting on abortion threads. Some of the posts literally make my blood boil...and I'm actually usually a very easy-going, laid back person.

Just to let everyone know...third trimester abortions and late second trimester abortions are banned and they will stay banned. 50% of Americans are pro-life and we have EVERY right to work to have the laws changed to impose more restrictions on abortion. Period. Pro-choicers have the right to support the laws the way they are. Everyone has the right to their opinions and the right to help work towards changing law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
[quote=afoigrokerkok;8838883]I need to stop reading/posting on abortion threads. Some of the posts literally make my blood boil...and I'm actually usually a very easy-going, laid back person.

Just to let everyone know...third trimester abortions and late second trimester abortions are banned and they will stay banned. 50% of Americans are pro-life and we have EVERY right to work to have the laws changed to impose more restrictions on abortion. Period. Pro-choicers have the right to support the laws the way they are. Everyone has the right to their opinions and the right to help work towards changing law.[/quote]
Not laws that invade privacy of the woman and tells them what to do. Thats when I draw the line.

You have said this many times. Sure you have the right to try and change the laws but abortion will never be banned.

In fact, we have the right to try to change the law to make late second and beyond abortions legal. But the fact remains that abortion will always be legal. No doubt about it. In the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, women will NOT be forced to carry on pregnancies they don't want too or if they were raped, etc etc etc. Women should have rights to control their bodies regardless of if some people (women included) like it or not.

I dont understand what has just been said that made your blood boil? This thread is not that bad. There is nothing that has not been said in other threads.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You have said this many times. Sure you have the right to try and change the laws but abortion will never be banned.

In fact, we have the right to try to change the law to make late second and beyond abortions legal. But the fact remains that abortion will always be legal. No doubt about it. In the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, women will NOT be forced to carry on pregnancies they don't want too or if they were raped, etc etc etc. Women should have rights to control their bodies regardless of if some people (women included) like it or not.

I dont understand what has just been said that made your blood boil? This thread is not that bad. There is nothing that has not been said in other threads.
Abortion will not necessarily "never be banned." There is a chance actually. Abortion restrictions are increasing and those laws are very successfully being passed. Different SC justices interpret the Constitution differently. Roe v. Wade wasn't unanimous, and there could easily be 5 pro-life justices at some point on the bench (it is my understanding that there are 4 currently). Have you seen the polls that show the number of Americans shifting from "pro-choice" to "pro-life" is increasing?

TLV, do you honestly not have a problem with killing a child once the child can think and feel as studies have proven? Once it can feel pain during an abortion? Once it is viable outside the womb?

In a case of medical necessity, that's one thing. But in other situations, something like 90% of Americans are very much against abortions at that point and it looks an awful lot like killing kids to most.

I don't have a huge problem with abortions early in pregnancy...but at some point, it's absolutely murder.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This only applies usually in red states (including mine). The legislatures have created "fetal personhood" laws with legal abortion not being able to be charged as murder as the one exception.
I would consider NC a "red" state, although Obama won by a small margin. Still, it's a very conservative state in the South. I remember when the pregnant marine was murdered, and she was 9 months pregnant. In other words, the baby would have lived outside of the womb on its own. To me, there is no way you can call a 9 month old fetus non-human, but the NC Supreme Court has ruled in the past that killing a pregnant woman, even in the very late stages of pregnancy is not a double murder, and everything I read about this case indicated this law would still apply today. Rhode Island, which is a blue state, calls the death of an unborn fetus by injury to the mother the act of manslaughter.

What's interesting is in states like Texas where the Death Penalty has been used so liberally and where sick patients (living, breathing babies too) are killed if they're considered to be a burden on the health care system, they consider the fetus to be a person from fertilization to birth. Shows the hypocrisy of the so-called "pro life" advocates.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Those same "stupid conservatives" illegally invaded a foreign country and had NO problem torturing and killing. And now they're going to blather on about "pro-life"? Yeah, no.
Yeah, you are so right! You hit it on the money, those dirty hateful Nazi baby killing soldiers. I mean, they only went there to rape the people and steal their oil for Bush right? They would kill anything and everyone, so why are they complaining about people wanting to kill their own children? I mean, at least it is their own children they are killing, not like those evil conservative baby killers over there killing other peoples children? Am I right? Stupid conservatives, they just aren't as smart as us elite liberals. Just think, with all the aborted babies, we could feed the poor as well, not to mention the population control we put in by getting rid of the brats before we have to have them inconvenience our lives.

Oh and Hate bush!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Abortion will not necessarily "never be banned." There is a chance actually. Abortion restrictions are increasing and those laws are very successfully being passed. Different SC justices interpret the Constitution differently. Roe v. Wade wasn't unanimous, and there could easily be 5 pro-life justices at some point on the bench. Have you seen the polls that show the number of Americans shifting from "pro-choice" to "pro-life" is increasing?

TLV, do you honestly not have a problem with killing a child once the child can think and feel as studies have proven? Once it can feel pain in the abortion? Once it is viable outside the womb?

In a case of medical necessity, that's one thing. But in other situations, something like 90% of Americans are very much against abortions at that point and it looks an awful lot like killing kids to most.

I don't have a huge problem with first trimester abortions...but at some point, it's absolutely murder.
No, I dont have a problem with abortions. People here have have posted pictures with half aborted babies and such. It does not bother or gross me out. It happens. It is life. Life happens and women will always have abortions.

Before someone goes and says (and I know they will) "What if you were aborted?", let me tell you that I dont care if I was aborted or not. Not like I would have known. Every life is valuable and needs to be saved? Sure. If I was aborted, you all would just have another "liberalvoice" here. Just not me.

I highly doubt abortion will be banned. They may put restrictions on it but it will still be legal. If not, women will start going to Canada where abortion has no restriction whatsoever. You cannot stop women from doing what they have too.

I am not trying to be offensive here and such, I am trying to explain what I think. Although, I understand the pro life side, I disagree with them. It none of their business what I do and they don't even know my baby. I believe the woman comes first. Especially in cases of rape.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
pre born?

Really, you are stretching now.
Your sperm are preborn, also. Perhaps you'll be required to go to jail for nocturnal emissions.
Wrong. Sperm has the same DNA as the father. It is not a separate human life. Check the DNA of the unborn child. It is human and different from the mother or father. Unless someone intentionally kills it, it will grow and come out kicking and screaming. The same cannot be said for the sperm cell or the egg cell.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
abortion is a fact of life. illegal or not. I am pro choice if someone wants to call me pro abortion I could care less. abortion the when and whys should be between a woman and her doctor. it should remain legal. it is not my business if some woman was drunk, had a one night stand, finds herself pregnant and aborts. sad as that may be...not my business. I would rather all these type of woman be able to have abortions if it will protect the women who want an abortion because of rape or incest or her own health. outlawing abortion will only effect the poor and middle class, as rich women will fly to other countries to have theirs while the rest will opt for a coat hanger in the bathtub like they did before roe v wade. either way someone will die. pro lifer's prefer the woman dies before the embryo. will the prolifer's help to stop all the coat hanger abortions and save the life of woman then? pro choice is first about giving the woman her choice to pick the options available with a full term pregnacy or an abortion. in the latter case we put the woman's life before that of an embryo.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
did anyone notice that they only polled about 1100 people. that's it, 1100. there are high schools in this country that graduate more seniors than these people polled. hell, the poll takers could have stood outside a Walmart for 2 hours on a Sunday and polled more people than that!

1100 people DO NOT represent America as a whole. I don't care what the results were, whether they were 100% for one or the other, the number of people polled is MINUSCULE compared to the number of people in this country so, IMO, the results are far less than newsworthy

having said all that, I do think the terms "pro-choice" and "pro-life" can skew the results. many of the staunchest supporters of abortion rights are not "pro-abortion". it is possible to not agree w/ abortion but to be pro-choice. some people may not like abortions, but may realize that it's a woman's choice to decide what to do w/ her body and it's not right to force someone into 9 months of potential misery. and I think many people would agree that making abortions illegal would do FAR more harm than good since it would open up a dangerous black market of underground abortions where injury and death to both mother and fetus can be high and there's no oversight
That's probably enough for a poll, if they were chosen correctly. The problem with these polls is the response depends very much on how the question is asked.

Quote:
The action by Obama means that US aid can be give to organizations that use other monies to provide abortions and/or abortion information. The US money can still not be used to provide the abortion. In other words, the agency has to get the abortion money from another source.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Wrong. Sperm has the same DNA as the father. It is not a separate human life. Check the DNA of the unborn child. It is human and different from the mother or father. Unless someone intentionally kills it, it will grow and come out kicking and screaming. The same cannot be said for the sperm cell or the egg cell.
So is self gratification murder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies