Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:21 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

In this case, I see it as more correlation than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 09:21 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
All of these generalization threads hurt my intelligence.

I'm really not sure what my reaction is supposed to be here. I believe I'm supposed to go 'woo-hoo! take THAT Christians' and then subscribe to the same us and them mentality that results in sexism, racism, AGW denialism, etc.?

Seriously... this entire forum is as intellectually stimulating as children on a playground calling each other names... or in the case of the AGW threads, like monkeys throwing poop at the people who come to watch them in their cages or who, like me, once mistakenly thought they were humans because they seemed to be capable of wearing shirts, pants and hats.

How does this information improve or change anyone's life, personally?

The thought that money is being spent on these studies instead of positive social changes is truly horrifying.
I disagree entirely.

The religious right has convinced itself that they have the moral high ground on all issues. Depending on how far right you go, they think they're better than science, they think they have better morals regarding relationships and sex, and they think they have better understanding of how society should treat different members, like women or homosexuals.

Here's the thing; there basis for thinking these things is a book with no viable author(s) listed that is void of any modern science. And they think they should be in charge and have been known to treat others as lesser. Enough studies like this that proves their 'moral high ground' is as fictional as their book might get them to stop being politically active. Creationism stays miles away from schools, legislation on how to define marriage will not be passed, and all religions will be treated as equal.

The positive potential in this study outweighs any negativity is has.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Your point is what? that some are poorer than others and don't get divorce even when not living together any more. I fail to see the point; really.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
This is a zombie thread from '09 posted by a drive by poster.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Another very important finding was that the rate of divorce is not the same in the church. That is a misunderstanding of Barna Group data – because Barna was not trying to study divorce "in the church." They were studying beliefs, so those who said they held Christian beliefs had the same divorce rate as those who said they didn't. But since Barna wasn't studying actions, the researchers didn't include worship attendance in the analysis.

So I partnered with Barna and we re-ran the numbers: and if the person was in church the prior week, their divorce rate dropped 27% compared to those who weren't! Many studies have found that church attendance drops the divorce rate 25-50% compared to those who don't attend. It also increases happiness in marriage and has several other dramatic life and marriage outcomes that we cover in the book.
Author Debunks Myths About Divorce Rates, Including of Churchgoers

Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
No need to argue about it...atheists are simply put BETTER people than religious people are. It ain't even close. More honorable, decent, honest, more integrity, far more magnanimous, more trustworthy...on and on and on.

The truth may hurt, but that's what Tylenol is for.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:22 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
I am not surprised, Bible Belt's religion is not Christianity, which I respect, but hypocrisy, which I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
O welly well!

It's so much better that facts come out so that people can examine what's wrong and make corrections. Why pretend night is day.

quoting the article -

StopTheReligiousRight.org had some scathing comments as well:

"We hear an awful lot from conservatives in the Bible Belt and on the TV about how we all should be living. Certainly a culture that teaches the conservative religious values of the Christian right must have clean living written all over it. And lots of ripe fruit from their morally superior lives abounding."

"It doesn't. Far from it. People that talk the loudest may be the ones walking the slowest. Joining its history of Biblically correct bigotry and discrimination, it is an area with the highest divorce, murder, STD/HIV/AIDS, teen pregnancy, single parent homes, infant mortality, and obesity rates in the nation. As a region, the Bible Belt has the poorest health care systems and the lowest rates of high school graduation." 12
there's also this - Bible Belt Leads U.S. In Divorces

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I am not a moderator.. And trust me, the moderators on this forum are far from indifferent.. They are allowed to have opinions just like you and me. I have had my share of topics moved to other forums, if you don't want that advice, fine, but please be more considerate.
Trust me, some of us are too aware of the biases that the mods have. I was once suspended for days because I called myself a homo. The reason for suspension was personal attack. I guess I was personally attacking myself.

If you've been here long enough, it should be obvious that the moderation team is heavily biased for the religious right.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Atheists do the right thing because its the right thing to do not because of some supposed reward in the afterlife.

You get back what you put out there.

Some of the nastiest people I have ever met have been christians but I do have to admit thats probably because I grew up in the bosom of the bible belt.

I have a neighbor who styles himself a christian yet he is more then happy to steal my garage sale signs so no one comes and I sit there wondering why I am not getting any business?
Do you think the right thing to do is constantly downgrading a person's belief of Christianity just because you don't have the same belief? Is your reality any better than my reality? Do you believe that atheists are omnipotent?

So you believe that atheists never steal? Do you personally know all atheists and know that they have never and will never steal?

I'm curious, do atheists frequent the Islam forum? Muslims believe in God-Allah, they believe in creationism, Adam, Noah, Abraham, and that Abram's son Ishmael was the ancestor of Mohammed, and a belief in the afterlife. Or is it just Christianity that you prefer to belittle?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The religious right has convinced itself that they have the moral high ground on all issues. Depending on how far right you go, they think they're better than science, they think they have better morals regarding relationships and sex, and they think they have better understanding of how society should treat different members, like women or homosexuals.
Really? Just a few posts later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No need to argue about it...atheists are simply put BETTER people than religious people are. It ain't even close. More honorable, decent, honest, more integrity, far more magnanimous, more trustworthy...on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies