Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Yes, I am a Pharmacist.
I would love to have seen the data on the reliablity of that program. YIKES!
I think they had to agree to an abortion if it didn't work. I don't know as we kept any stats. If we didn't hear from them again, we assumed it worked. It made them gawd-awful sick, I know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Here in the next year, I am going to find a group of unwed teenage Mothers and take my daughter to talk to them, preferably the ones that are still pregnant, maybe some that have screaming babies they don't know what to do with. Let her see up close and personal what the reality of unprotected sex can be.

I also plan a visit to the local Juvenile facility so she can see that reality and a nice long chat with the Sheriff or one of his men about the realities of breaking the law.

I think these kinds of things should be done at the schools, preferably Middle School. Otherwise kids get romantic, illogical ideas about these things.
Such scare tactics may be a useful "object lesson"; they do similar in driver's ed. But in the long run, they don't work well b/c these young kids think it won't happen to them. Plus, they know kids who have taken risks and didn't get pregnant, didn't get arrested, etc. I have raised teen, thankfully, w/o extreme incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Today every pregancy is wanted. No longer can a woman claim an " Opps".

So with that, there is no longer a reason to have an abortion because you don't want to be pregnant.

Now before you start saying it is not true I will take the time to explain brifely plan B in simple terms.

If a woman has unprotected sex, she can take plan B within 72 hrs (of the sex) and it creates a hostile enviroment for egg fertilization and egg cannot implant itself.

It PREVENTS the fertilization of the egg!!! Got that???

All they have to do is go to the Pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for it and show an ID. YOU DO NOT NEED AN RX for this.

It is also available at Free Clinics,etc.

So now what excused do the girls have for getting abortions or having unwanted babies?
Well here's one for you.Have you ever had a friend that was raped? I have and alot of women hide after the rape and cannot be consoled. That being said,if the 72 hour window has passed then the morning after pill would not be effective,and an abortion would be necessary if that is the path chosen.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Here in the next year, I am going to find a group of unwed teenage Mothers and take my daughter to talk to them, preferably the ones that are still pregnant, maybe some that have screaming babies they don't know what to do with. Let her see up close and personal what the reality of unprotected sex can be.

I also plan a visit to the local Juvenile facility so she can see that reality and a nice long chat with the Sheriff or one of his men about the realities of breaking the law.

I think these kinds of things should be done at the schools, preferably Middle School. Otherwise kids get romantic, illogical ideas about these things.

Good for you! Things like that can save a kid. You are a proactive parent and today, that is rare!

When I was 14 my whole family (cousins and all) were taking a vacation for Thanksgiving. While on the plane I saw a lady have a grand mal seizure from drugs. She was seizing, foaming at the mouth, eyes rolling back in her head, thrashing all over. Her partner was yelling out to the Dr. that she had smoked pot, taken pills, etc.

OK so ask me if I ever even smoked pot? Not a chance. That scared the poop out of me and I was terrified to even think about doing an illegal drug. As an adult we were all together one holiday and I brought it up an asked my cousins who had witnessed it and not one of us had ever done drugs. It really terrorized all of us.

So that woman, whom ever she was changed the lives of 6 kids.

That just shows you how impressionable kids are. AND things like that we never forget.

You are very wise for teaching your child like you are.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think they had to agree to an abortion if it didn't work. I don't know as we kept any stats. If we didn't hear from them again, we assumed it worked. It made them gawd-awful sick, I know that!

Such scare tactics may be a useful "object lesson"; they do similar in driver's ed. But in the long run, they don't work well b/c these young kids think it won't happen to them. Plus, they know kids who have taken risks and didn't get pregnant, didn't get arrested, etc. I have raised teen, thankfully, w/o extreme incidents.
I just read your post after I wrote mine. LOL You and I are so different! LOL Those driver's ed classes scared me to death. I must have been very impressionable!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
if life were so simple and people were able to do as you suggest it would work great. however we have to take into account how real people react and what happens. like someone has already posted some teens can't get the plan B w/o parent permission and it is expensive. some teens think/hope they won't get pregnant so they woldn't bother. there is also availability to a free clinic or pharmacy many places are rural and far from either of these. the other group of unwanted pregnacies are from rape and incest these victim are sometimes too traumatised or feeling so much shame they can't walk or talk let alone get it together to go get a pill. there are other situations for an unwanted pregnancy that I haven't thought of that to post, we can't just assume if this was available it wouldn't happen. I do know that careless and stupidity are among the reasons as well but it is not the only reason this happens and it isn't the main reason it happens

Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 AM

Well, I do know a lot of kids who processed all that stuff and still got into some bad car accidents, caused by lack of experience more than anything else. Driving too fast for the experience level, etc. You read about this every day in the papers.

As for the sex, theycan have the knowledge in your head, but when they get into the situation, sometimes they "forget".

Old 05-16-2009, 11:46 AM

Maui and Katiana~ I know what both of you are saying. But all I can say is at least it is something. It's a tool we can use and it is effective.

Millions of units have been sold in the US and almost 1 million in Canada alone. So that should give you an idea of how many possible births/abortions this prevented.

Until something better is developed and so far this is a good way to correct that "opps" that millions have each year.

And like someone on this thread mentioned, if they can't come up with the money for Plan B, then how do they think they will support a baby? You know? BUT many don't think like that and that is why we have the explosion of population.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if life were so simple and people were able to do as you suggest it would work great. however we have to take into account how real people react and what happens. like someone has already posted some teens can't get the plan B w/o parent permission and it is expensive. some teens think/hope they won't get pregnant so they woldn't bother. there is also availability to a free clinic or pharmacy many places are rural and far from either of these. the other group of unwanted pregnacies are from rape and incest these victim are sometimes too traumatised or feeling so much shame they can't walk or talk let alone get it together to go get a pill. there are other situations for an unwanted pregnancy that I haven't thought of that to post, we can't just assume if this was available it wouldn't happen. I do know that careless and stupidity are among the reasons as well but it is not the only reason this happens and it isn't the main reason it happens
Excellent post with great reasoned-out reasons for an unreasoning situation. Most of the posts in here are "what SHOULD happen". The statistics that reflect real life bear out differently.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:07 PM

I agree that Plan B is a good thing.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Good posts, especially reminding some of the participants about the "process" and what "non-fertilized" egg means....yet another example, I believe, of why it is important to learn/educate oneself before making statements and judgments.

There can be a few ooops---someone using a condom and it breaks; a vastectomy that did not work; a tubal ligation that did not work (since neither are completely 100%); one of my friends had three birth control babies; 1st was the pill, 2nd was an IUD and the last one was her diaphram...for myself, I don't think abortion is a means of birth control, however I do certainly believe in choice and the ability for a woman to obtain the morning after pill as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies