Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Really. Evict? Capital punishment for being unwanted?
No not capital punishment, eviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You're wrong about that.
History of Abortion
Thank you for that. Wish I'd seen your link before I replied to the other post.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM

634 posts, read 1,419,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Mr. President, as you speak at Notre Dame today, you will be looking out on a group of young women who are approaching their prime time for child-bearing. Now flash forward 10 years, two of those young women are your girls. Imagine one or both coming to you to say, "you were going to be a grandfather, but I aborted the baby."

In that crowd of young women, some are going to do exactly that to their parents. Just imagine a grandparent's pain....

Lets stop unwanted pregnancies, but not after the fact.

I agree with your post. I'm also a parent who's kids are nearly grown. I wouldn't want to imagine that pain. I've spent my time as a parent raising my kids to love and protect, not to kill unless protecting themselves or their own. Maybe I won't ever know those grandparents pain first hand.

I don't feel anyone is better than the kid they are killing. If not for kids, none of us would be here, period. Why should a kid pay the price of death just because two people wanted to have sex, knowing darn well what can happen before they pull those pants down ..

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Murder/homicide will also occur. We cannot prevent it so that it "never" happens. Should it then be made legal everywhere and we hope that it will be "rare"?
Should abortion be made illegal everywhere, and you enjoy dealing with the consequences of that?

It's legal to one extent or another in most countries of the world. That should tell you *something* about realistic decision-making.

I see that in Chile women still go to prison for seeking an abortion. Maybe you could move there.

Oh, look. Here's the cycle that the US -- and your tax dollar! -- would go through (more or less again) soon enough, if you had your way.
To circumvent legal problems, many women seek an unsafe abortion and may be injured from it, necessitating hospitalization. Once hospitalized, a woman may be reported to the police and imprisoned. In order to counter this problem, the Chilean Government started supporting family planning activities in the mid-1960s. This has caused the incidence of illegal abortion and related deaths to decline: deaths due to abortion complications dropped from 118 to 24 per 100,000 live births between 1964 and 1979.[12] From 1990 to 2000, the maternal mortality rate related to unsafe abortion dropped further, contributing to a 60.3% reduction of the total maternal mortality rate during this time period.[13]

Abortion in Chile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think if it werent for the church and the leftover fascists from the Pinochet government they'd have moved on further in this cycle by now. The real world isnt black and white. It'll never be Fairyland. So why is "safe, legal and rare" a bad option?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
“Safe, legal and rare” is a bad option because it takes control of the woman's body and life away from the dominant males in the society. The debate is not pro or anti life it is pro control of women or their reproductive independence. Control is the issue and the fate of the fetus nearly irrelevant. The dominance is a result of some males need to brag to all his male friends, “Look what I did” as if he did it alone.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:16 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So you speak to God? How's she been? You might want to see if we can make any progress with the war, famine, drought, hunger, children suffering, and all the other little problems we have here on this blue rock. Oh wait....forget that stuff. What does she say about abortion?

To each his own, and it's a free country, but just do it in private. The problem is when you try to impose your beliefs on others.
Quite frankly, the Bible is very expounding on "war, famine, drought, hunger, children suffering, and all the other little problems..." The scriptures never suggest that we will avoid malady, but indeed it does offer us hope. As a matter of fact, the Bible uses those ancient storms as illustrations of how we get deal with such adversities in our lives.

Now, before you blast back at me, have you ever been in a Bible study? Have you ever studied the Bible? If not, I recommend you do. Why? Because, in my life, I do believe in miracles, don't you?

Don't be angry because I might suggest you pay attention, maybe you are right, if so rejoice and be happy in your correctness, but what if you are wrong and I am right? I can't prove either way, can you?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Quite frankly, the Bible is very expounding on "war, famine, drought, hunger, children suffering, and all the other little problems..." The scriptures never suggest that we will avoid malady, but indeed it does offer us hope. As a matter of fact, the Bible uses those ancient storms as illustrations of how we get deal with such adversities in our lives.

Now, before you blast back at me, have you ever been in a Bible study? Have you ever studied the Bible? If not, I recommend you do. Why? Because, in my life, I do believe in miracles, don't you?

Don't be angry because I might suggest you pay attention, maybe you are right, if so rejoice and be happy in your correctness, but what if you are wrong and I am right? I can prove either way, can you?
Sorry to butt in, as you were replying to someone else, but I have been to bible study many times. I do not believe in 'miracles', I believe in coincidence and not yet explained phenomenon. I have read the bible more times than I can remember, along with other cultures books of worship as well and it has done nothing but solidify my Atheism/Agnosticism.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:43 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Check the fetus's DNA. Is it the same as the mother? Her appendix's DNA is the same. The fetus has its own DNA. To me that is enought to prove that the fetus is a distinct life, not an extension of the mother's body...
so then what's wrong with a woman wanting to take the fetus out of her body before birth? that's her right.. and the fetus can eat, breathe, and drink on it's own...

doesn't add up...
imposing the woman to carry the fetus to term is violation of her bodily rights if she wants it out.. she should be able to remove it...
no? or how would you go about explaining why she should have to carry it to full term.. mind u.. lets hear a legal reason, and not just a moral, bible and god says so rhetoric...

Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
so then what's wrong with a woman wanting to take the fetus out of her body before birth? that's her right.. and the fetus can eat, breathe, and drink on it's own...

doesn't add up...
imposing the woman to carry the fetus to term is violation of her bodily rights if she wants it out.. she should be able to remove it...
no? or how would you go about explaining why she should have to carry it to full term.. mind u.. lets hear a legal reason, and not just a moral, bible and god says so rhetoric...
Do you mean to say that moral doesn't matter, as long as something is legal?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Do you mean to say that moral doesn't matter, as long as something is legal?
Moral is a question between the woman and her conscience. The last think we want the government doing is legislating some wingnut's notion of morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies