Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,385,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Real slow now,

YOU brought up the fact that First Lady Obama's salary went up as President Obama's political station went up. If that is true, your continuing to work for such a 'corrupt state' is also related to the subject of the thread.

Read what you post! Seriously!
Excuse me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,907,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Excuse me...
No problem.....

Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,899,300 times
Quote:
Oh sure, Normie, you would know.... after all, you're Normie.
LOL

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,491,340 times
I also attended U of C (undergrad & grad) and can attest to the fact that they don't do any outreach. However, I do find it pretty unusual for universities not to have programs in place for the children of their employees (reduced/free tuition). So perhaps, that is what Michelle is referring to.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I was a student at the U of C when Ms. Obama was applying to college. It did not really reach out to black students and had few of them as undergrads. Black students were regularly harassed and considered to be interlopers or muggers if encountered on the quadrangle. Further, the university basically had established a vacant 'DMZ' between its campus and the community to the south.

But Ms. Obama should understand that the college did not really reach out to anyone. Its much more of a graduate institution, which she knows.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,108,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I also attended U of C (undergrad & grad) and can attest to the fact that they don't do any outreach. However, I do find it pretty unusual for universities not to have programs in place for the children of their employees (reduced/free tuition). So perhaps, that is what Michelle is referring to.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Fair point.

I find it funny nobody jumped on the fact that U of C is very liberal.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,385,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Fair point.

Very true, as is Hyde Park.

They did have a program for reduced tuition for employees and their families.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,468,106 times
Quote:
One of my degrees is from the U of C as well, I was offended. I guess you were not the same kind of student I was, through the university I was encouraged to work as a Head Start volunteer, with Big Brothers, Big Sisters. The University was good to give her a high paying job...short memory.
It's funny that in a capitalist system "giving people jobs" is considered charity.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,468,106 times
Quote:
Fair point.

Yeah especially their school of economics. Milton Friedman is a regular communist.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,159,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont think dropping security at U of C and opening up the campus to all drop in visitors is a good idea.
a former chicago resident
Since Chicago has an open campus, it is not a question of 'dropping security' but profiling folks walking down the street. The quads are open to the public but I can assure you that in the seventies only certain types of folks got questioned for being there. And just so you don't regard it as a habit of certain people, the black staff at the U of C was notorious in the seventies for profiling black folks. I was there, people!

Quote:
The hospital is the University of Chicago Hospital, technically...and check out how her position and salary changed coincidentally as her husband's political career was being "nurtured" by the likes of David Axelrod.
And Axelrod graduated from the college, too. There's a fallacy that is called in Latin: "Post hoc ergo propter hoc." In other words, don't confuse an antecedent with a cause. I can remember when Obama was running for the senate -- at a south side parade Michelle was marching with the hospital contingent, not with the 'Obama mamas'. So she certainly was putting her job first instead of trying to help her husband.

The hospital is a different corporation from the university with a different set of books. That makes a BIG difference, actually.

Quote:
The Chicago school of economics is liberal? Shockley, Coase and Uncle Miltie? The law school which launched Scalia, Epstein and Dick Posner is liberal? You're nuts! Are you associating an integrated neighborhood with a liberal political stance?

Last edited by Manigault; 05-18-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,104,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finkiemcgee View Post
yeah especially their school of economics. Milton friedman is a regular communist.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies