Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Children in foster care, by and large, were not relinguished for adoption as newborns. They were generally taken from their family because of neglect/drug addiction and/or abuse. Adopting an infant is clearly a different issue to adopting an older child. You have whole different set of issues to deal with, and I will not argue that everyone wants or is equipped to deal with that. However, a woman walking into an abortion clinic, which is what my response addressed, is in the position to place her newborn for adoption rather than abort if she chooses that instead.
no these foster care kids are not newborns...they are the newborns born of women who did not get abortions and had the baby. this is what happens to children born from a family/parent that doesn't care. so yes these are the same kids, just older
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Children in foster care, by and large, were not relinguished for adoption as newborns. They were generally taken from their family because of neglect/drug addiction and/or abuse. Adopting an infant is clearly a different issue to adopting an older child. You have whole different set of issues to deal with, and I will not argue that everyone wants or is equipped to deal with that. They have not been "released for adoption." But that's a topic for another day.) However, a woman walking into an abortion clinic, which is what my response addressed, is in the position to place her newborn for adoption rather than abort if she chooses that instead.
There are plenty of newborns that are not adopted and put into foster care. They then grow up into children in foster care.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It would be interesting to see the reasons why people shift either way.

Some people contemplate their mortality at 20, maybe earlier, some never do. Without contemplating your mortality the understanding of life is all lost to the world revolving around you, sun and all. The older you get the more likely you are to come to terms of your death and what life really means.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Children in foster care, by and large, were not relinguished for adoption as newborns. They were generally taken from their family because of neglect/drug addiction and/or abuse. Adopting an infant is clearly a different issue to adopting an older child. You have whole different set of issues to deal with, and I will not argue that everyone wants or is equipped to deal with that. However, a woman walking into an abortion clinic, which is what my response addressed, is in the position to place her newborn for adoption rather than abort if it she chooses that instead.

So if there are "issues" to deal with, then many pro-lifers aren't quite so pro-life. Because there are "issues" with the older child, it's okay that that child should be left to the system, because evidently they're not so "innocent".

One of the reasons some women think abortion is preferable is because they themselves were left to the system, and they are afraid their child might end up there as well. When you are struggling to take care of yourself, the chances are far greater that a child not planned for, but whom you become attached to during pregnancy, could one day end up in the system.

Poverty is a prevalent issue for women considering abortion. And giving up a child to a couple desperate for a newborn does sometimes make one wonder. If they are so desperate, why not take in an older child with issues? Yes, there are more challenges, but these people are desperate to give a child a home, aren't they? Are they desperate, but picky?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no these foster care kids are not newborns...they are the newborns born of women who did not get abortions and had the baby. this is what happens to children born from a family/parent that doesn't care. so yes these are the same kids, just older
Yes, I will grant you that these children are uncared for and that the mother was no position to raise them. But again, I was initially responding to a poster that had stated that if women going into abortion clinics had someone to come along side them and help them and be willing to adopt their baby, they might not go in. My point is simply that in the US, that does exist. Many, many couples wish to adopt infants and will financially help the woman to the extent the law allows (without getting into "buying a baby" territory.)

My argument is simply this....there is no shortage of parents for newborns here in this country. If a woman wishes to place her baby for adoption rather than abort, that is a viable option for her as opposed to abortion.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
There are plenty of newborns that are not adopted and put into foster care. They then grow up into children in foster care.
Can you provide any facts on this? If there are, I am not familiar with it. People are by and large, going to other countries in order to get babies not available here to adopt.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Children in foster care, by and large, were not relinguished for adoption as newborns. They were generally taken from their family because of neglect/drug addiction and/or abuse. Adopting an infant is clearly a different issue to adopting an older child. You have whole different set of issues to deal with, and I will not argue that everyone wants or is equipped to deal with that. They have not been "released for adoption." But that's a topic for another day.) However, a woman walking into an abortion clinic, which is what my response addressed, is in the position to place her newborn for adoption rather than abort if she chooses that instead.
So only newborns are worthwhile.
Yes, the other ones are only a drag on the economy or otherwise too faulty for your to provide for.
Should we just kill all of these kids, after all, they are no longer eligible or the protection of the anti-choicers or RTL-until-birthers.
Nice unveiling of your agenda, btw.

Tell me where these "abortion clinics" as you call them, are.
I know of none that strictly provide abortions, most are for holistic women's health care.
Of course, those women are already born so they don't count.
Gotcha.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So if there are "issues" to deal with, then many pro-lifers aren't quite so pro-life. Because there are "issues" with the older child, it's okay that that child should be left to the system, because evidently they're not so "innocent".

One of the reasons some women think abortion is preferable is because they themselves were left to the system, and they are afraid their child might end up there as well. When you are struggling to take care of yourself, the chances are far greater that a child not planned for, but whom you become attached to during pregnancy, could one day end up in the system.

Poverty is a prevalent issue for women considering abortion. And giving up a child to a couple desperate for a newborn does sometimes make one wonder. If they are so desperate, why not take in an older child with issues? Yes, there are more challenges, but these people are desperate to give a child a home, aren't they? Are they desperate, but picky?
Well, my husband & I adopted a newborn baby, but no, I did not feel up for the challenges of raising a child with possible serious emotional problems. If that makes us "picky," then I guess we were. I think instead, we just knew our limitations.

Many people do choose to adopt older children and sometimes they have no problems but sometimes they do. I just would not have felt emotionally capable to take that on. ( A couple we were close friends with did, and it was a nightmare.)

Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
Quote:
My argument is simply this....there is no shortage of parents for newborns here in this country. If a woman wishes to place her baby for adoption rather than abort, that is a viable option for her as opposed to abortion.
The woman who knew the fetus she was carrying had irreversible medical problems was unable to have an abortion gave it up for adoption. Let me be the first to tell you that there is a HUGE shortage of parents for this 'defective' newborn.

Pro-Lifers are only Pro-Life until the 'baby' is born, then it's on it's own.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
The woman who knew the fetus she was carrying had irreversible medical problems was unable to have an abortion gave it up for adoption. Let me be the first to tell you that there is a HUGE shortage of parents for this 'defective' newborn.

Pro-Lifers are only Pro-Life until the 'baby' is born, then it's on it's own.
Yes, I grant you if there are huge medical problems to be dealt with, some couples still want to adopt but it could be problematic to find parents. This would probably be, however, the only type of exception that would cause an infant not to be adopted.

By and large, most of the babies aborted do NOT have significant medical problems but would be healthy newborn infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies