Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are pro-life, do you believe exceptions should be made in any of the following circumstances?
Rape 14 70.00%
Incest 13 65.00%
Severe fetal deformity 11 55.00%
Severe mental retardation 10 50.00%
The health of the mother 11 55.00%
The life of the mother 18 90.00%
Other (please explain) 2 10.00%
None of the above. Abortion should be illegal in all circumstances. 2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Would you support legalized murder of a 2 year old by a parent making it "the parent's choice" or "the mother's choice"?

You go on and on about legislating morality but the reality is that almost all criminal laws are, in fact, based on moral principles. Murder, rape, assault, theft, etc.
No because as I said people murdering people is disruptive to a harmonious, functioning and preferably free society. Laws are not based upon morality they are based on the three aforementioned things, though by no means are the two mutually exclusive. Tell me what is the morality in a speed limit, lawn ordinance, or a standardized accounting system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No because as I said people murdering people is disruptive to a harmonious, functioning and preferably free society. Laws are not based upon morality, though the two are by no means mutually exclusive. They is based upon these three things. Tell me what is the morality in a speed limit, lawn ordinance, or a standardized accounting system?
None.

But laws such as murder, rape, assault, etc. are based on moral principles.

That's why I said "most criminal laws"....most and criminal being the key words.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
None.

But laws such as murder, rape, assault, etc. are based on moral principles.

That's why I said "most criminal laws"....most and criminal being the key words.
As I said sometimes they are not mutually exclusive. As to criminal laws one can get in a lot of criminal trouble for violating accounting laws. As can one get into serious criminal trouble for violating airport regulations even if there was no immoral intent behind their actions. There are many criminal laws, too many to list that have nothing to do with morality.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-20-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
Abortion is obviously murder. Some people think its okay because the baby is still living in the mother. But say if someone were to push a pregnant woman down the stairs (and she wanted the baby), and the baby was "lost", everyone would say the guy killed her baby. But when people decide to kill babies themselves its okay.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by afoigerkok
The fetus is biologically a parasite. Yes, I believe it's a life and, yes, I believe abortion is murder. But, at the same time, pregnancy is incredibly taxing on the body and I'm unwilling to support forcing women to go through it if they had no say in becoming pregnant. It's a little balancing test I've done to balance the rights of the fetus with the rights of the woman. IMO, the rape exception should apply only in the first trimester.

There are some other things to consider - if a woman was forced to carry a rape baby to term, she may be more likely to commit suicide with the constant reminder of the rape in her body. If the child is born, she may literally hate him or her; the child would suffer a lot. Make no mistake - I don't condone abortion in a rape situation, I think other options including state-funded counseling/therapy, adoption, etc. should be offered, stressed, and made available. That said, I'm still unwilling to support taking away the right to an abortion in that instance.

As far as incest, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that most incest situations are a more subtle form of rape. There's also a substantially increased risk of fetal deformities. This exception should also apply only in the first trimester.
Those are really good points afoigerkok. They're definitely worth pondering and I'll consider this. I do agree though that if it is legal in those instances it should only be in the first trimester.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Those are really good points afoigerkok. They're definitely worth pondering and I'll consider this. I do agree though that if it is legal in those instances it should only be in the first trimester.
Why are babies who are in the womb only 2 1/2 months not as worthy of life as babies in the womb 5 months?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why are babies who are in the womb only 2 1/2 months not as worthy of life as babies in the womb 5 months?

Because there are no such thing as "babies in the womb"?
That would be illegal.
Besides, they wouldn't be able to breathe.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Because there are no such thing as "babies in the womb"?
That would be illegal.
Besides, they wouldn't be able to breathe.
You mean like people on ventilators? Should we be allowed to murder them, if they become "unwanted?"

Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You mean like people on ventilators? Should we be allowed to murder them, if they become "unwanted?"
If they had to be hooked up to other people's bodies in order to survive, instead of to mindless machines, then yes.
The person whose body they were hooked up to should and would have the right to disconnect them at any time.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
If they had to be hooked up to other people's bodies in order to survive, instead of to mindless machines, then yes.
The person whose body they were hooked up to should and would have the right to disconnect them at any time.
Ah, so it's the ole real estate premise: location, location, location. In the womb, a parasite, out of the womb; a tax write off?

Bottom line: Abortion, when performed correctly, results in death 100% of the time. You support this. I stand for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies