Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Nope. And what would it matter? Schools in poor areas get more money per pupil than schools in rich areas.

They just had St Louis school district. I don't know what school district East St. Louis is in. All of the info can be found here. The average for Missouri is about $9600 per pupil day, I doubt E St Louis is lower than the average, as I noted St. Louis was at 15K+ maybe this includes East St. Louis?

School Data and Statistics
Thank you for looking that up, nevergoingback. I thought I'd specified Illinois but maybe not. (And - there's only one of me, Im not a "they" )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,835,773 times
I am still trying to figure out why I pay property taxes here. we have a educational system funded by the state lottery. figured that would have phased out abusive property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I was asking if that claim was true - that all the schools of the same level (all high schools, e.g.) in any given county in the US receive the same amount of money every year, from their states, municipalities, fed; that the local tax base has nothing to do with school funding..

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,441,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I am still trying to figure out why I pay property taxes here. we have a educational system funded by the state lottery. figured that would have phased out abusive property taxes.
You must live in Ohio.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,381,576 times
Quote:
Also in poorer neighborhoods the tax base is lower, so schools and so forth are of lower quality...so without education how can the people succeed...it's a death spiral.
When students taunt and beat up fellow students for acting 'white'
(carrying books, studying etc). When the majority of
students aspire to be sports stars, movie stars, criminals or
rappers. With absent fathers and single mothers that have better
things to do then raise their children. I'd say their are more
pressing issues facing the black community then 3 year old
microscopes or peeling paint. I see a death spiral. But it's a suicide.

Last edited by robertjohnson; 05-18-2009 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: extra comma

Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,152,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No. These folks do not have the intellectual capacity or ability to graduate from high school in numbers that would exceed much more than 50%. Money will not solve this problem.

- Reel
I agree that money will not solve this problem but don't agree with your "mental capacity" argument. This has nothing to do with race if thats your implication.

Blacks had much lower crime rates and illegitimacy rates before the 1960's. Blacks didn't suddenly devolve into low IQ, sub-humans in the last 40 years. The problem is politics in inner city areas, which are dominated by democrats.

However, if by "mental capacity" you mean the stunted effects liberal policies and environments create, I wholeheartedly agree.

Its unfortunate that blacks that must bear the brunt of these peoples ideas.

However that doesn't mean that blacks are passive bystanders. They can take control of their lives and responsibility for their childrens education.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,470,325 times
[quote=BayDude;8869507]However, if by "mental capacity" you mean the stunted effects liberal policies and environments create, I wholeheartedly agree.[quote]

Please provide details of these "liberal policies" that caused "stunting".

Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,850,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand the premise. You seem to be suggesting that it's up to the Democratic Party to make the lives of all black people easier. That's not how it works. People have to take responsibility for their own lives. I don't remember the Democratic Party ever telling anyone that they would take care of their every need.
Does this ring a bell?

YouTube - OBAMA'S GONNA PAY FOR MY GAS...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times
What is it with you people.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
Quote:
What is it with you people.
You and and a whole bunch of other folks know damned too well what is up with "them" people. So, I will consider your question as being purely rhetorical.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,295,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I agree that money will not solve this problem but don't agree with your "mental capacity" argument. This has nothing to do with race if thats your implication.

Blacks had much lower crime rates and illegitimacy rates before the 1960's. Blacks didn't suddenly devolve into low IQ, sub-humans in the last 40 years. The problem is politics in inner city areas, which are dominated by democrats.

However, if by "mental capacity" you mean the stunted effects liberal policies and environments create, I wholeheartedly agree.

Its unfortunate that blacks that must bear the brunt of these peoples ideas.

However that doesn't mean that blacks are passive bystanders. They can take control of their lives and responsibility for their childrens education.
I don't believe anyone with an IQ of 85 or less has the ability to comprehend high school material well enough to graduate. Its nonsense to assume that everyone should graduate. I also think that the average IQ of folks in poor neighborhoods is lower than the average IQ of folks in more financially well off neighborhoods. I don't believe more than 50% of the folks in poor neighborhoods have the ability to graduate from high school.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies