Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:28 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,837,588 times

Advertisements

Looks like California had another earthquake... and once again, the weather is above 100 degrees.

Scientists pooh pooh the idea, but when I lived in Los Angeles, everyone believed in the idea of earthquake weather. AKA "Shake and Bake." When the air developed a certain hot, crispy dryness, earthquakes seemed to hit.

Seems like a good controversy for a Monday morning. So what do you guys think? Is earthquake weather a phenomenon or just a buncha bull?

Personally, I'm a believer. I don't care what scientists say, that's what happens. Scientists don't know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,021,551 times
I dont know about the shake and bake weather (), Ive never lived out that way, but I *do* believe about the animals disappearing/being very nervous for days before an earthquake.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,031,770 times
I tend to notice that many of the stronger earthquakes happen in the transition seasons (spring/fall). Is that accurate?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,837,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I tend to notice that many of the stronger earthquakes happen in the transition seasons (spring/fall). Is that accurate?
I'm sure many do... but certainly not all. Northridge earthquake was in January. Right after a string of unusually hot days.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,540,014 times
OP - This could be checked by comparing weather and seismic records. With all the research being done inn Cali I would think this correlation, if any, has been noted and recorded somewhere. The trick is locating the research. Why not start by contacting the SC eaththquake center.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
One of the most earthquake prone areas of the US is Alaska. So much for the earthquake weather theory.

Consider this: Look at how long our hot weather season is. Doesn't it stand to reason that many of our quakes would happen during the weather that predominates?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM

174 posts, read 515,039 times
People still use that expression, "Earthquake weather." I've heard it many times. The Whittier Narrows quake in 87 came in early October right after a spell of unusually hot weather. The problem with this theory this time around is that in Hawthorne and Lennox (where this quake was centered), the weather was NOT unusually hot at all. They are close to the ocean and the temp was in the 70s.

I have noticed that major earthquakes tend to come in clusters that span several years. We had not experienced any major quakes in Los Angeles since Northridge in 94 until Chino Hills last July. Now another one close to 5.0. The Northridge quake was the culmination of several large quakes during a span of seven years beginning with Whittier Narrows in 87. There was Landers, a five pointer in Sierra Madre, a five pointer in Pasadena during this time span. Then there was silence for over fifteen years.

I expect that we'll see some other big ones very soon. Hmmm, how will Governor Arnold deal with the mess that follows? The National Guard costs money.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,358,431 times
The quake we had last summer was quite a distance from L.A. and it seemed pretty strong to me on the westside. Cell phones don't work for hours after big quakes because everyone is calling around.

What will we do if something hits like the size of Northridge or larger? Financially this state can't handle a sizable quake. We're already on the verge of ruin.

Just because the weather in Alaska is usually cool and has quakes doesn't mean that the quakes we have in California can't be associated with a hot weather spell. Different kinds of faults, different type of terrain and climate. Nobody can predict a quake but when your animals seem to be tipping lightly around the house and skittish, and the weather is warm, it might be a good idea to check out your earthquake emergency kit.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Well, shifting from polite talk of complaining about the weather and doing nothing about it, we could tread the talk into politics, or political weather.

YouTube - China Earthquake caused by HAARP weapon 引发地震的证据

"ya don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows" - sometimes.

A nice grand earthquake in kalifornia might just be thought by some to be a way to solve all of its financial and social problems.

Maybe those problems might be literally under water during our lifetimes.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - This could be checked by comparing weather and seismic records. With all the research being done inn Cali I would think this correlation, if any, has been noted and recorded somewhere. The trick is locating the research. Why not start by contacting the SC eaththquake center.
Yeah, I heard there were several earth quake type events registered for NYC on 9-1-01.

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=5496 (broken link)

Last edited by ergohead; 05-18-2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Supplemental
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies