Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I work for the phone company. We get 15 days (3 weeks after 8 years) of vacation, 4 days that are personal holidays and 4 days of discrecenary leave. We also get New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. And I enjoy all the time I get off.
My benefits beat yours and we dont have a union.
4 weeks vacation after 5 years.
5 weeks after 15
6 weeks after 25
3 personal days
60 hours sick time per year
Holidays: New years, Martin Luther king day, Easter, memorial day, 4th of july, Labor day, Thanksgiving, Floating holiday, Christmas and Christmas eve.
Retirement is a 401 k profit sharing and employee contribution. Most employees with 25 years of service have retired with 500k and up depending on how long they stayed and contribution. I know many who left as millionaires. All this and no Union.... Promotion opprotunities are based on performance instead of senority. No I don't want a union where I work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That is fine for Toyota and Honda. Then I guess they don't have to worry about a union do they? The only businesses that need to worry about a union probably deserve a union. Such as Wal*Mart.
Agreed. I'll give you this one big time. I boycott walmart as a matter of fact.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
I'm not a big union fan, and there are many employers out there that are progressive and function well without unions. The problem is, there are many employers who are not respectful of the rights of workers and treat them like crap also. There should be some sort of protection for the little guy. However, I do agree that many unions don't encourage a productive workforce. There has to be a better way of meeting the needs of both sides. Unions certainly work better for people with a lower level of education.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
5 weeks after 15
6 weeks after 25
3 personal days
Holidays: New years, Martin Luther king day, Easter, memorial day, 4th of july, Labor day, Thanksgiving, Floating holiday, Christmas and Christmas eve.
Retirement is a 401 k profit sharing and employee contribution. Most employees with 25 years of service have retired with 500k and up depending on how long they stayed and contribution. I know many who left as millionaires. All this and no Union.... Promotion opprotunities are based on performance instead of senority. No I don't want a union where I work.
We have a defined pension plan and a 401K with an 80% employer match which is good. I put in the full 5% to get it. The company wants to do away with the defined pension and raise the 401k match to 100% for new employees only.

It doesn't sound like you need a union where you work. I am not saying that every employee at every company needs a union. But those who do should be entitled to join one if they feel the need to do so.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
We have a defined pension plan and a 401K with an 80% employer match which is good. I put in the full 5% to get it. The company wants to do away with the defined pension and raise the 401k match to 100% for new employees only.

It doesn't sound like you need a union where you work. I am not saying that every employee at every company needs a union. But those who do should be entitled to join one if they feel the need to do so.
And they do enjot that right already. I simply disagree with Bidens rhetoric that Unions are the way. I have watched several local corporations shut down their plants due to Unions being inflexible and unwilling to compromise. Now we watch as the Unions refuse to help save themselves withe big 3.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Wth is Biden talking about? Any bunch of workers could push union any day of the week that they wanted to. In Business it just doesn't work. Sure Unions used to be a good thing but their time has passed.
We'd be better off making sure we hire Americans and tariffing the heck out of goods coming in.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, unions are the reason that the middle class was able to prosper.
Woo Hoo ! ! ! Watch Detroit grow.... ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
5 weeks after 15
6 weeks after 25
3 personal days
Ditto here, 5 weeks vaca, 8 sick, 8 floaters , 401k and pension! All private enterprise.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Southwest airlines is all union and it's light years ahead of the airline industry in consistent profitablity.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm not a big union fan, and there are many employers out there that are progressive and function well without unions. The problem is, there are many employers who are not respectful of the rights of workers and treat them like crap also. There should be some sort of protection for the little guy. However, I do agree that many unions don't encourage a productive workforce. There has to be a better way of meeting the needs of both sides. Unions certainly work better for people with a lower level of education.
Most of the places I've seen that advocate for unions are advocating for one because their work conditions are junk. My father's company doesn't have a union because they get compensated fairly and the work conditions are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies