Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,179,141 times

Advertisements

Not only is it job killing, it's also people killing......

These itsy bitsy cars are great at causing people to die.....

Quote:
The National Research Council found that the CAFE standards cost up to 2,600 lives in 1993 alone. A USA Today report concluded that CAFE had killed 46,000 people by 1999.
Quote:
When automakers agreed with the Obama administration to hike CAFE standards to 35.5 mpg by 2016 via the reformed approach, NHTSA's "worst case" scenario put the death toll at more than 1,000.
D.C.?s Deadly Fixation On Auto Fuel Economy Mandates - Investors.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,179,141 times
Default The Feds should propose graphic warning labels on the cars they propose

A reminder from USA Today back in 2007: People buy small cars even though they can be deadly
Americans are buying more small cars to cut fuel costs, and that might kill them.

As a group, occupants of small cars are more likely to die in crashes than those in bigger, heavier vehicles are, according to data from the government, the insurance industry and the National Academy of Sciences (NAS).

The newest small vehicles, of course, meet today's strict safety standards and can be laden with the latest safety hardware, such as stability control and side air bags. They are safer than ever. And differing designs mean some small cars are safer than average. But even the safest are governed by the laws of physics, which rule in favor of bigger, heavier vehicles, even in single-vehicle crashes.
And from Edmonds:
...the numbers don't bode well for small cars. Below is a chart from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) showing the latest fatality rates for the different vehicle sizes. (The mini car category wasn't included because the sample size of registered vehicles was too small.)

Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,697,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
You know, I'm to the point where I don't post much around here because it's utterly pointless to talk to you guys. Completely ideologues, without one iota of sense.

The mandate is good for consumers, it's good to lessen our dependence on oil, it's good for the environment, and it's good for car companies who really need to be pushed towards these standards. Think they don't? Witness the SUV boom of the 2000s, which drove fuel standards downwards.

Fact is that fossil fuels are a finite resource, and fact is that we're involved in two wars in the Middle East thanks to fossil fuels (directly or indirectly). Fact is that, even if you don't believe in climate change, there are tonnes of other environmental negatives to fossil fuel.

Penicillin also vastly improved health care, so if I'm following your logic, it was utterly pointless to develop antibiotics, or anything more advanced than penicillin.

What planet are you guys from?
Pure ideology and opinion....and the familiar insistence that anyone who doesn't embrace it is "without one iota of sense".

And no, I'm afraid you're not following my logic because we are still a long way from an alternative to oil powered vehicles that can be considered a true "advance". Electric cars are a "feel-good" novelty that bring with them a number of drawbacks and their own major environmental issues. But those issues are brushed aside by your ideological group because electric cars are so hip and trendy.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
It's a failure because we are not ready for electric cars and also because electric cars are NOT a long-term answer to the dependence on fossil fuels.

The market dictating everything has not turned out so well for health care and the environment, has it?
And both got worse, much worse when government got involved.

Health care at one point was just having insurance for hospital stays.
The EPA has regulated industries to death and yet we still have pollution, spills, etc.

The government has not fixed anything. When the government gets involved competition goes out the window because the government has their favorite companies that get all the exclusive contracts and become the monopolies.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,901,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We already killed the used car market via cash for clunkers which crushed perfectly good cars.

Just give everyone a horse and then we only need to worry about hay and poop.

then they will regulate horse emissions, just to have something to do.

what the government did to the used car market was AWFUL, and some of our money went to foreign countries to boot!

we clearly have the most clueless president this country has ever had. (and after carter that is saying a lot)

the administration seems to oppose nuclear, oil, and coal- yet offers no viable alternative.

i wonder where the money is supposed to come from for all these "alternative energies". we have destruction of the private sector by rising government and fiscal mismanagement pulling from the private sector, yet we have higher unemployment and a greater need for social services. obama is so many wars now i can't keep track, and we have less revenue to do anything at all. a shrinking private sector is in no position for innovation and expansion.

don't even get started on the failing infrastructure and the costs of maintenance that we aren't addressing.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM

7,972 posts, read 7,340,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We already killed the used car market via cash for clunkers which crushed perfectly good cars.

Just give everyone a horse and then we only need to worry about hay and poop.

Yeah, pretty soon they won't be making fun of the Amish. I can just imagine it in my small town - electric cars hooked up for recharging right next to the buggy hitches!!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Yeah, pretty soon they won't be making fun of the Amish. I can just imagine it in my small town - electric cars hooked up for recharging right next to the buggy hitches!!!!
And you only get 40 miles. So any trip has to be 20 with 20 saved to get back home.

Yeah..I'm gonna get me a horse and maybe a buggy and charge to pick up those stranded folks on the roadside whose car ran out of batter juice because their trip was more than 40 miles.

And out in the country that would be a daily occurrence.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,697,484 times
Bottom line is....and so crystal clear to those of us with the continuing will to think our own thoughts....that our petroleum powered economy and modern lifestyle IS and remains the "advance" that opened the amazing and wonderful alternatives to the primitive existence lived by our ancestors only a handful of generations before us.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,560,857 times
Very well said---bravo!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,308,559 times
I drive big old school gas guzzlers. Obama would not approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies