Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM

12,928 posts, read 13,619,565 times

Advertisements

I have been in (or visited) State, Federal, and Maximum security Prisons in various states as well as places that incarcerate violent youthful offenders. Its up to the warden what they wear. Most often it is blue jeans, denim, or Blue Khaki , The over sized Dickie work clothes are also reminiscent of prison wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM

163 posts, read 493,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
%'s

If you go to a NASCAR race. You will see all kinds of people in race gear. The majority are white males. There are some black males in race gear there. There are some asian males in race gear. There are some spanish females. Everything, really, but the majority are white people.

They will be grouped in with what they look like.
there is a difference between a uniform associating you with an organization and the way you dress .

By your way of thinking these hip hop dressing people shouldnt be racially profiled they should asked for autographs

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,508,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TheCityOfAngeles9 View Post
there is a difference between a uniform associating you with an organization and the way you dress .

By your way of thinking these hip hop dressing people shouldnt be racially profiled they should asked for autographs

Im not talking about the drivers. Im talking about the fans.

Dude. Stop being dense. If you dress up like the group of people that commit the large majority of crimes you will be grouped in with that group.
Im not saying anyone is asking to. But they are stupid if they dont think they are adding to it.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,434,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Who is their?

Hip hop kids or black kids? Because if you are going to argue its a black thing then you are going to have to address all the Lenny Kravitz, Will.I.Am looking brothers and sisters.
No it is not a black thing? Come on now.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 AM

37,951 posts, read 22,072,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I see many African American males walking around Washington DC that look like extras from a BET (Black Entertainment Television) Music Video. They have all the characteristics of a person into HOP HOP and Gangsta Rap. While it is there right to dress like this, cop that attitude and play that part because it may make them look cool to some of the kids in school, they have no right to complain about racial discrimination, or do they?

http://www.complex.com/assets/images...-jeezy-420.jpg
I don't disagree, but so to are the kids who dress and act like they are from the videos of skinhead bands, satanic music, Christian music band, country music, etc... If you dress like Waylan Jennings in South Central LA, they might think you are some kind of a lost redneck.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,708,963 times
Nothing justifies discrimination. Whoever posed the original question in this blog is very racist. He is obviously white and from DC, so I'm am not all surprised. I have lived in the DC Metro Area. In my opinion, DC is one of the most racist cities in America. If you are not a wealthy, overachieving, shockingly caucasian Ivy-League educated Brooks Brothers suit wearing trust fund baby, all the white-bred yuppies in DC will think you are a low-life drug dealing thug.

How does wearing a fitted baseball cap, a t-shirt, jeans and matching Air Jordan's make someone a gangster? What a lot of sheltered suburbanites fail to realize is that streetwear uniform of Hip Hop kids across the country originates from a culture of poverty and discrimination. Rappers dress like regular dudes that don't have trust funds or expensive masters degrees. The clothes match the lifestyle; not everyone is a big money accountant, lawyer or successful small business owner (I know this is hard for rich white people in DC to understand!). But at the same time, wearing streetwear doesn't make someone a hardened criminal. Hip Hop culture, like all of the important Black cultural movements of the past, is anti-establishment because the white supremacist power structure in America is designed to keep ALL minorities down. I' sick of all of us minorities being stereotyped as criminals. If you ask me, all the real American gangsters are evil ubiquitous corporations like Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Nike and Budweiser. Local drug dealers in ghetto America don't privatize entire Latin American countries' drinking water. Gang bangers in L.A. don't force starving children in third world countries to sew the seams of expensive basketball shoes for more than 60 hours a week.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,604,042 times
/\ someone ran out of Prozac this morning.

I couldn't care less about clothes, but the truth is that if you act like a thug, then you should be treated like one. I've met white suburban punk rocker thugs, black ghetto thugs, Chicano thugs, Jock thugs, any thug. And that treatment should be being ostrizced and getting your head split...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,440,523 times
Kravitz is rock/soul/funk anyway, not hip hop, so why is he being used as an example?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM

943 posts, read 3,155,414 times
There are many terrible thug types in all races but the black gangsta rap type seems to full fill a stereotype of what is wrong with the African American male. By acting like that stereotype a balck male who is facing discrimination already opens himself up for even more abuse. Why would you want to do that?

If Blacks were in power and they looked down on the clownish redneck white trash stereotype it would be a disadvantage to the white man who acts and looks that part.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 AM

727 posts, read 1,888,373 times
Racism is easy on the computer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies