Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:36 PM

341 posts, read 452,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I get it. My comments stand
No, you didn't get it. You really need to read peoples entire replies
before contradicting them. It makes you look foolish.
I don't want to sound catty..but you ARE, after all, going out of your
way to post/quote me...therefore, I am replying.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
No, you didn't get it. You really need to read peoples entire replies
before contradicting them. It makes you look foolish.
I don't want to sound catty..but you ARE, after all, going out of your
way to post/quote me...therefore, I am replying.
Your name calling is off the abortion topic. I understand you caled him ignorant.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM

40 posts, read 39,050 times
Quote:
Please, before you make a comment like the one you did above, THINK.
YES my decision was right. It was 100% right,and I don't regret it at all. If you think I KILLED someone, you need to refer to a dictionary.
I did just that (refered to a dictionary.) the definition of kill is 1 a: to deprive of life 2 a: to put an end to.

I know it is a harsh sounding word, but well... you can see the definition for yourself, i don't really need to say much more.

Also, while i don't agree that abortion is "100% right" under any circumstance, (except maybe if the mothers life is at risk, and giving birth could end up killing her and the baby, that is the only time i would maybe view it as right, and even then, its still a grey area) i think it is good that you don't regret it. People shouldn't have to go through life regretting a decision like that.

Also, i did "THINK" before i wrote my post, i tried to be sympathetic while still getting my views across. Any hostility that comes across in any of my posts is not intentional, i am simply expressing my thought process on the topic. I dont think any less of you or anyone else on this forum for the views they hold or the decisions regarding abortion they have made. (Unless they are one of those crazies who wanna blow up a clinic, i dont think too highly of those folks lol)

Quote:
Yes, I DID stop my pregnancy, and therefore, my potential baby. This is not something I am proud of, nor do I go around bragging about it. However, I will not be ashamed that I, as a mother, chose to allow MY potential baby NOT to suffer. It's a sick and cruel world when someone like you actually thinks that I should have subject MY baby to suffer due to medical circumstances.
Again, i am glad that you are not ashamed of your decision, i hope you never will be. I do have to say that i believe the word "potential" doesn't belong there though. This debate, like many others, is filled with grey areas, i think your situation being one of them. I just don't see "i want to save them from pain" as a justifiable excuse for killing someone.

Quote:
I'm so sorry you feel that way. Again, you are entitled to your beliefs. Thankfully your beliefs do not dictate the law though...or else I would be worried. Again, I made the right decision, and I don't regret it at all. I DO, however, wish that I NEVER had to make that decision..and just because I don't regret it..doesn't mean that I don't miss my baby.
I'm sorry that you, or anyone has to make decisions as tough as these as well. I really didn't / dont mean to offend in any way when expressing my beliefs on this forum.

Quote:
If my grandpa was suffering severely..and we "pulled the plug" on him, or just took him to hospice (where he would not be revived if he were to start "dying") I guess you would consider that killing as well...and label it as the "wrong" decision. That's pretty shameful of you too.
I do think that the grandpa situation is very similar to the one you had to go through. And i hate that people go through pain, but is killing them really the answer? You don't have to call me "shameful" just because i don't want people to kill each other.

Quote:
Also, if you read, I didn't have an ab. to make MY life easier....it was because of medical circumstances. So now, along with the other ignorant poster, you have made one of yourself. If you didn't mean to sound this way, you could have fooled me.
Well, i didn't read through all 100 pages of this thread, so if you explained your story somewhere in there, sorry i didn't see it. Also, i didn't mean to assume that you were doing it to make your life easier, i apologize for coming of that way. I still stick by my view that killing is wrong, though.

Quote:
Again, being pro-life doesn't make someone ignorant...views like this and those of a few fanatics are what make someone ignorant.
I'm sorry that you feel that my views make me ignorant. I simply believe that killing a human being is wrong, i don't think that is such an ignorant thing to think.

Have a nice day!
Peace.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Main Entry: ig·no·rant Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\ Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 a: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society> ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

The poster clearly had no idea that my ab. was not to " make life easier for me"..it was for medical reasons. So YES, they are ignorant.

Also, using the world "KILLING" is VERY ignorant regarding THIS situation. Why? Because it shows a lack of compassion and sensitivity to me and my unborn child. It's completely disrespectful.

Saying that KILLING is "never right" is an IGNORANT choice of words. I call things for how they are.

You need to read my last paragraph. I CLEARLY stated that everyone is allowed to have their own beliefs...and therefore..that means they *gasp* do NOT have to agree with me. I will point out ignorant comments and behavior though. Notice that I don't go thru this forum and reply to everyone who views differently from me.

If redsaint doesn't like what I had to say, then maybe she/he will think again before quoting my reply and saying something so ridiculous. I'm sure he/she would never say that to someones face . I don't know about you, but I would never walk up to a woman who just had to terminate her pregnancy and say " Killing is never right". What kind of idiot says that to someone?

I hate to sound rude, but I am only human, and I cannot deny/suppress my feelings when it comes to the fact that certain behavior/replies on here are particularly disgusting, rude, cruel, offensive, and most of all IGNORANT.
Quote:
Please, MEN, do NOT get me wrong. I am NOT calling men ignorant at all. I am calling a FEW remarks from TWO men on here ignorant..and I think we all know which ones.

As a woman,I cannot sit here and read some of the stuff they are posting without my mouth hanging open in disbelief. They truly are ignorant at best..they are just CLUELESS and have NO idea.

It's ok to be clueless about something..but NOT nasty. That's when I lose my respect for someone..and so does everyone else.

I COMPLETELY see what you are trying to say.
I was never nasty, i never called anyone any names or attacked their character. Not to be mean, but that was all you. And i did not walk up to someone that terminated their pregnancy and say "killing is never right." You came to an abortion debate forum, do you expect everyone to agree with your views because you went through a very tough situation and had to make an unbelievably hard decision? If you want to go to a place where everyone agrees with you, a debate thread is not the place for it. I would never sit outside of a clinic and tell woman that they made the wrong decision, that would be cruel. But it is 100% acceptable to say it on a forum, or in a debate.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Kind of convenient for serial fornicators who father untold children, isn't it?
And I say the same to a woman that wants to have sex all the time and get abortions as a way of birth control. Since the union took place from two people of opposite sex one had the egg the other had the sperm, the emryo growing inside is the union of two people both have the right to the outcome of that embryo do they not?

Quote:
What if the woman does not agree to this little arrangement?
Then she has the option of getting an abortion doesnt she. She as well has a way out.

Just as a man who wants to keep the child and the woman wants an abortions...what if the man does not agree with the abortion arrangement?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsaint182 View Post
I was never nasty, i never called anyone any names or attacked their character. Not to be mean, but that was all you. And i did not walk up to someone that terminated their pregnancy and say "killing is never right." You came to an abortion debate forum, do you expect everyone to agree with your views because you went through a very tough situation and had to make an unbelievably hard decision? If you want to go to a place where everyone agrees with you, a debate thread is not the place for it. I would never sit outside of a clinic and tell woman that they made the wrong decision, that would be cruel. But it is 100% acceptable to say it on a forum, or in a debate.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
When people smoke, they know that lung and many other cancers are a byproduct, but they smoke and get cancer...are you against them getting treatment because they should have known better?
So after three cavities your dentist should just say...you know i refuse to help you becuse you didn't tae care of your teeth.
The cancer and cavity examples mean nothing. You are not killing a human when you try to treat your cancer or get your dentist to look at cavities. Treating cancer saves people, not kills them. Abortion kills.

Quote:
And murder is just that the unjustified killing of another without reason.
Perhaps we are saying that a woman has reason( not that i'm saying abortion=murder). I would come closer to daying that our government has been killing innocent children for decades with no justifcation, we just call it war!
On september 11th, when terrorists flew planes into the towers, they had a reason. It was not a good reason, but it was a reason, and it is still murder. Because their reason was not a good one, i would call it unjustified, same as i would call the vast majority of reasons for getting abortions unjustified. And we go to war against people like this (the terrorists) to prevent something like that from happening again. It is a shame we have war in the first place, but its also a shame terrorists are blowing us up, and something has to be done about it, thats why we go to war. Overall, your points are pretty ineffective.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I don't get where you think this isn't about choice. Also, until a fetus can live outside a womans body our government says she has the rights, not it. You can't give rights to something when you have no proof what rights, it wants, needs, or deserve. So by your arguement no life is more or less important than another, right? So the oak tree in my front yard that is 100 yrs old should have the same rights afforded to me, and that cow you ate last week shouldn't have had to die. It's a sticky arguement, neither side will ever agree, but thank you for the intellegence and tact you used in stating your side!
But i think that despite whatever technical definition any government or institution decides to give it, a fetus is still a human being, and it still has the right to live. Also, i never said that non humans should be given human rights. Oak trees and cows are not humans, and should not be treated as such, but a human fetus is a human, and it should be treated as such.

Just for the record, i made a post earlier telling you to read my post (the one you quoted here) and it turns out that you did, thanks, and sorry for telling you to read it when you already did.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
Quote:
The cancer and cavity examples mean nothing. You are not killing a human when you try to treat your cancer or get your dentist to look at cavities. Treating cancer saves people, not kills them. Abortion kills.

On september 11th, when terrorists flew planes into the towers, they had a reason. It was not a good reason, but it was a reason, and it is still murder. Because their reason was not a good one, i would call it unjustified, same as i would call the vast majority of reasons for getting abortions unjustified. And we go to war against people like this (the terrorists) to prevent something like that from happening again. It is a shame we have war in the first place, but its also a shame terrorists are blowing us up, and something has to be done about it, thats why we go to war. Overall, your points are pretty ineffective.
According to Osama, not Obama, they were / are at war with us so, in his mind, it was not murder but an act of war. War? Terror? Do you think there is any difference to those who get blown up or who lose family that way? To them it's just semantics of the worst kind. By many accounts, our government has used the "war on terror" to justify many questionable actions. I personally don't buy the belief that we are simply good and they are simply bad. I believe it is more complicated than that. This does not mean I don't love my country or that I'm not grateful for what I have.

Last edited by Mr Floyd; 06-10-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 04:31 PM

530 posts, read 650,255 times
Quote:

My point was you were saying that you should have known better. Those who smoke should know better, but we allow them a MEDICAL treatment for a MEDICAL problem, same as abortion.
What about all those innocent people in these countries who didn't blow anything up, you know kids who were just playing in the feild and got blown up by one of our missles. Guess they deserved to die as a causuality of war.
Also if i choose as a ACNP to pull the plug on a persons life with the concent of their family, how is that different, maybe given 5 more days your GOD would have healed them. They don't get a say so, but maybe we should just let them lay in a bed and wilt. We as a people choose all the time to begin and end life, that is our choice. We choose to slay innocent animals for food and accessories. You can not dictate your morality on others. Wrong in your eyes DOESN"T= wrong in someone elses. I have said this debate all along is about choice, you just don't see it that way. That doesn't make us right or wrong, just different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies