Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsaint182 View Post
I never said it was so because i believed it. I gave lots of reasons that i have heard for it being "not human" and debunked them. It is a human, no more or less than you or I. For the record, look back at my previous posts, i think the logic is pretty sound when i am talking about if the fetus is human or not. Also, look up the SLED acronym (just type in SLED abortion in google or something. It makes a compelling argument as to why the fetus is a human.)

I guess a better thing for me to do would be to just ask why you don't consider it human. Why don't you? Explain to me how you can deny that it is a human.
87% of all abortions occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, when the woman is carrying an embryo that is at the most, 2 inches long. That embryo is indeed human, but it is not a human being, a person, because it possesses none of the qualities that make us a person.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
I now ask all of you this, Do you wish that your parents had aborted you when you where a fetus. I dont want to hear "it would have been their choice"

I want to know do you now at this time wish that your parents had aborted you?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM

341 posts, read 452,143 times
Quote:
And just out of curiosity Platinum333, i know in your case having an abortion doesnt really seem to be a clear cut case of right and wrong.
Unfortunately, it was the right decision, and it seems that's hard for you to hear/understand. If I could have given my life instead, and guarantee that he would have been ok..I would have. In a heart beat. I cried MANY nights and prayed for God to take me instead of the baby growing inside of me...it tore me up...and since that day..I swear a piece of my soul has died.

Quote:
What are your views on abortions that women get simply because they do not want to take care of the child? Do you agree that thats wrong? Or are your views still pro choice in that case as well? Just curious.
I think it's unfortunate. I wish abortion NEVER had to occur..EVER...for anyone. Abortion as a whole, breaks my heart.

It hurts me to think that one woman might not want her baby, and that's her reason for her ab.- when here I was, and I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted my baby. I began to feel selfish , when I said I would continue my pregnancy, as I was informed that the chances of him (I was only 4-6 weeks but I strongly feel it was a boy) having a normal life were next to none. That weighed on me. I hated myself for the medical products that I had put into my body (legal ones) without knowing that I was pregnant.

So it's a touchy thing for me to think of other women who don't want their babies..and had the chance to have them healthy. Yes, that's definitely a sore spot for me. But I don't judge them because I share their pain..and I have NO idea what situation they were coming from. I only hope that they looked within their hearts to make a decision that they can live with.

As you can see, I was very aggresive in my previous posts. NOT because you disagreed with me, or had a different view, but because I felt you crossed the line when referring to me killing my "child" and saying that my case isn't a clear cut of right or wrong. It's very upsetting to go thru what I did, and read someone say that. While I realize this is a debate, I feel that the way you worded things poorly and took low blows. I don't even mind you taking low blows personally @ me.,.but I suppose I get so heated and defensive because I feel as though it's disgracing the baby that I lost.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:15 PM

341 posts, read 452,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I now ask all of you this, Do you wish that your parents had aborted you when you where a fetus. I dont want to hear "it would have been their choice"

I want to know do you now at this time wish that your parents had aborted you?
Obviously not.

If I knew I was going to be mentally retarded, disabled, ill, etc. THEN I would say YES, I wish I wouldn't have been born.

But NO, I don't wish my parents would have aborted me.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM

40 posts, read 39,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
It means nothing...which is why you have made it your job to reply to it all. I get it .

You might want to think more about why people might agree with me.
Well why would you post it if you knew it meant nothing? You must not know that it means nothing because you're trying to use the same exact argument again here when you say:

Quote:
You might want to think more about why people might agree with me.
You are trying to use what is called an "Appeal to the masses" its a logical fallacy. Read a little bit about how to spot them here Informal Fallacies

Also, you don't necesarily know that more people agree with you in the first place, this pole probably doesn't provide an accurate representation of the peoples views as a whole. (not that it matters.) While we don't know for sure, you probably are right that most people are pro-choice though. (But again, we dont know that for sure, and it doesnt really matter either way.)

And if you are still set on sticking to your guns and saying "You might want to think more about why people might agree with me." think about that from the flip side too. Maybe you should think more about why people might agree with me. Because plenty of people do.

Again not that it matters.

Quote:
Hun, it seems like you continue to contradict yourself & have allowed the

heat of this debate to really get beneath your skin.

I'm sorry to tell you, but most people do not agree with you.

When I label something as ignorant, it's not an insult..just a mere fact.

I have already stated my stand on this topic. Why do you feel the need

to have me repeat myself again and again?

Judging from the results of the polls (and other various factors) it doesn't

look like I have much to prove.
wow, really? the debate hasn't gotten under my skin at all, i am actually thoroughly enjoying it. I know my posts have gotten progressively more aggressive, but i'm fine I just keep getting agressive because i have to prove my points over and over, which is what i am about to do yet again.

You constantly talk about how the polls are showing that more people are on your side (which judging by the polls, they are) but that means nothing. You say that "Judging from the polls (and other various factors) it doesn't look like i have much to prove"

But the polls mean nothing, you said it yourself. (But you still use them as "proof your right" so theres a contradiction for you) And what other factors are you talking about, please tell me.

I really suggest that you (and anyone who is intrested in debate for that matter) look up those logical fallacies i linked to earlier. You'll probably even find some in my posts, (but i am not aware of any right now) no ones perfect (although i do try to make a logical case and i do feel like i do at least a decent job of it.)

Your posts constantly contain illogical "points" like the ones you continue to make about the "polls being on your side". Also, the fact that you believe someone is ignorant just because you label them that way shows me that you have some ignorant tendencies yourself. (But we all do sometimes, its ok, were all human, no ones perfect.) You have failed to show how i am being ignorant. (except that i disagree with you and continue to argue with you about it, but thats what this forum is for... doesn't mean i'm ignorant)

And since ignorant means "Lacking knowledge in the thing specified" and you continue to dredge up old points that i have already shown to be a logical fallacy, it shows that you are lacking in knowledge in terms of making a logical argument, but you come on here and do it anyways. That seems a little ignorant as well.

Also, can you please point out where i contradict myself? I havn't really seen it but i would be glad to clarify something if it was unclear.

Anyways, i have that same feeling that i am having to repeat myself time and time again as well.

I still hold true to my original belief that a fetus is a human, and that it is wrong to kill a human being, therefore it is wrong to kill/abort/terminate a fetus. At the time of typing this, no one has shown me any proof that a fetus is not human, and no one has given me a good reason why killing is morally right. So im still a pro lifer i guess.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
87% of all abortions occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, when the woman is carrying an embryo that is at the most, 2 inches long. That embryo is indeed human, but it is not a human being, a person, because it possesses none of the qualities that make us a person.
You say 2 inches long, that point doesnt mean anything as size doesnt mean anything. a 6 foot tall person is equally a person as a 5 foot tall person, size means nothing. Size doesn't determine someones humanity.

What are these other "qualities" that you are talking about that we have that make us a person?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 PM

54 posts, read 237,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Abortion is bad and kills people. Abortionists are evil people. Those who have abortion need to seek professional help if they can't see it for what it is, murder.

/End.
I don't know anyone who's had an abortion but if I did, why would it be any of my concern what that particular person does with their body or anything that may be inside their body. What is it going to affect in your life if a rape victim, or a 13 year old girl, or anyone who can not or doesn't want to raise a child gets an abortion? Other than your having to find another senseless cause to fight for what will it hurt? I'll tell ya......... absolutely nothing.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Obviously not.

If I knew I was going to be mentally retarded, disabled, ill, etc. THEN I would say YES, I wish I wouldn't have been born.

But NO, I don't wish my parents would have aborted me.
I don't think someone can really speak as to what they would think about the situation if they were mentally retarded, disabled, ill, etc. because if they arent those things, they dont know what would be going through their mind if they were those things. But theres probably some people who would choose to live and some who would choose to be aborted i guess.

But i still think its probably wrong to kill a child even under those circumstances. Do you think it would be right to gather up all the mentally retarded people and go ahead and put them out of their "misery?" I'm not even entirely convinced that being mentally retarded or disabled is a miserable existence. Sure it's not ideal, but many retarded and disabled people live happy normal lives. It's wrong to kill someone, even if you think you are doing them a favor.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM

54 posts, read 237,143 times
I just think it's no one's buisness what other people do.......... PERIOD!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
I don't know anyone who's had an abortion but if I did, why would it be any of my concern what that particular person does with their body or anything that may be inside their body. What is it going to affect in your life if a rape victim, or a 13 year old girl, or anyone who can not or doesn't want to raise a child gets an abortion? Other than your having to find another senseless cause to fight for what will it hurt? I'll tell ya......... absolutely nothing.
What is it going to affect in my life if someone gets an abortion? Probably nothing directly, but its still killing nonetheless, thats why its my concern. If a bunch of Africans in huts get blown up, its probably not going to affect my life much, but i still think its wrong that they are getting killed, and i still care. If someone decided to kill a child, its probably not going to affect my life much but i still care.

Also, that comment you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Originally Posted by AaronK
Abortion is bad and kills people. Abortionists are evil people. Those who have abortion need to seek professional help if they can't see it for what it is, murder.

/End.
that is what i would call an ignorant post lol. I know me and Platinum333 squabled over the term "ignorance" a little bit, but i think calling abortionists evil people is a real example of ignorance here, not the petty stuff we were arguing about. And even though i am a pro lifer, i have to say that AaronK also doesn't provide any evidence to support his claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies