Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I agree totally with you about prevention. Including sex ed and birth control. Free if needed
Perhaps this is where the more mainstream pro-lifers and the more mainstream pro-choicers can find some common ground. Working to reduce the number of abortions. That would be a start.

Adoption reform as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
And where exactly on that tape does he state that he'll give you a third trimester abortion for mental duress? Nowhere. It's a recorded message welcoming people to his clinic and stating the many reasons people may have an abortion at any stage.
Like many in his camp, wjtwet freely embellishes a message or takes liberties with facts/info in order to make them fit his agenda.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Wtjwet, I'm against abortion as you probably already know. With that said, this is a very legitimate argument from the pro-choice side.

I think the pro-life side needs to become a lot more realistic in the areas of contraception, sex ed in schools, etc. The best idea would be to work to prevent the unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place, IMO.
Or the best idea could be to stop the sperm donors. Contraception has no bearing on rape or incest pregnancies.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Like many in his camp, wjtwet freely embellishes a message or takes liberties with facts/info in order to make them fit his agenda.
People on both sides do that. On this forum, you'll find people who refer to third trimester fetuses as "lumps of cells" and the like.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Do you really think married middle class women are having abortions? or that they make up the bulk of people having abortions?

Study Finds Major Shift in Abortion Demographics - washingtonpost.com

so anyway, how are we going to afford all these new babies? Can you please quit dodging the question and give me a real answer?
First I have not dodged the question. Killing for econmic resons is not a good reason. How does any family support a baby. well there is adoption, or ther eis keeping the baby after birth and doing what every family has to do.
The bulk of abortions are happening for whites not blacks.

Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics (http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm#Why - broken link) Abortions Are Performed

The overwhelming majority of all abortions, (95%), are done as a means of birth control

why not teach other means of birth control?

Only 1% are performed because of rape or incest;
1% because of fetal abnormalities;
3% due to the mother's health problems

Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5%
Wants no (more) children: 7.9%
Cannot afford a baby: 21.3%
Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8%
Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1%
Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2%
Risk to maternal health: 2.8%
Risk to fetal health: 3.3%
Other: 2.1%
Legality of Abortion
  • Abortion is legal in the USA at any time throughout the entire nine months of pregnancy... FOR ANY REASON (due to a woman's "mental health" exception)

/16/06
New York, NY (LifeNews.com) -- A new poll conducted by CBS News finds a majority of Americans oppose virtually all abortions in the United States. Those polled said they want either no abortions to occur or for abortion to be limited to very rare circumstances.
Some 55 percent of Americans took a pro-life position on abortion. Of those, 33 percent said abortions should be "permitted only in cases such as rape, incest and to save the woman's life."
The survey found 17 percent said they would limit abortion only to cases where a woman's life is in danger and 5 percent said abortions should never be permitted.
The Alan Guttmacher Institute, a research group affiliated with Planned Parenthood, conducted a comprehensive survey in 2004 to find out why women have abortions.
Asked to list the most important reason for the abortion, just 4.5 percent of women cited rape, incest or the pregnancy causing life-threatening or severe health problems. Just .5 percent of women said the abortion was because they were a victim of rape.
As a result, 55 percent of those polled indicated they oppose 95 percent or more of the 1.3 million abortions annually in the United States.
Just 42 percent in the CBS News poll indicated they support legalized abortion, with 27 percent saying abortion should be permitted in all cases. Some 15 percent indicated they backed legal abortion but believed it should be "subject to greater restrictions than it is now."
That means 70 percent of Americans in the CBS News poll believe greater limits should be placed on abortions.
CBS News conducted the same poll in July 2005 and found a 53-43 percent pro-life breakdown on abortion -- a net change of 3 percent in favor of the pro-life position n the January 2006 poll.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
his word state it not my words. How am i embellishing a tape of the mans own words?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times
Quote:
I agree totally with you about prevention. Including sex ed and birth control. Free if needed
ok, but what about the all these babies that would be born without abortion?

as staunch as you are about being pro-life, your not having an answer to this question is completely unacceptable. Basically, what I'm hearing from your lack of plan is that you want to force poor, pregnant women to have babies they can't afford and you have NO plan for how these babies will be provided for.

How someone can be so pro-life but have no contingency plan for the millions of baby that will arise thereof is beyond me.

What it says to me is that most Pro-Lifers really don't care about the the actual LIFE of the baby, they just want to campaign for it's right to come to fruition. That's a poor "plan" and completely selfish of Pro-Lifers. Many of you act high and mighty because you're against killing, but you're not really thinking about the kind of life this child will have at ALL.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Listen to the voice record. hois word on the voice recording are at the site so you can read through it. I even posted his words.
Reading Comprehension is your friend. He is not referring to third term abortions. He is referring to all visitors to his clinic, and listing reasons why women decide to not continue a pregnancy from 1 week on. Just as you cannot get a third term abortion approved for family health, or for "whatever reason".

Quote:
"But, for whatever reason that you are here... we find that there are many reasons why women find that continuing the pregnancy will cause substantial and irreversible impairment of their physical health, their mental health, their emotional health, their family health, age of the patient, safety and well-being... for whatever reason that you are here, welcome to Wichita, and thank you for the opportunity to be helpful to you."

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
First I have not dodged the question. Killing for econmic resons is not a good reason. How does any family support a baby. well there is adoption, or ther eis keeping the baby after birth and doing what every family has to do.
The bulk of abortions are happening for whites not blacks.

Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics (http://www.abortiontv.com/Misc/AbortionStatistics.htm#Why - broken link) Abortions Are Performed

The overwhelming majority of all abortions, (95%), are done as a means of birth control

why not teach other means of birth control?

Only 1% are performed because of rape or incest;
1% because of fetal abnormalities;
3% due to the mother's health problems

Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5%
Wants no (more) children: 7.9%
Cannot afford a baby: 21.3%
Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8%
Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1%
Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2%
Risk to maternal health: 2.8%
Risk to fetal health: 3.3%
Other: 2.1%
Legality of Abortion
  • Abortion is legal in the USA at any time throughout the entire nine months of pregnancy... FOR ANY REASON (due to a woman's "mental health" exception)

/16/06
New York, NY (LifeNews.com) -- A new poll conducted by CBS News finds a majority of Americans oppose virtually all abortions in the United States. Those polled said they want either no abortions to occur or for abortion to be limited to very rare circumstances.
Some 55 percent of Americans took a pro-life position on abortion. Of those, 33 percent said abortions should be "permitted only in cases such as rape, incest and to save the woman's life."
The survey found 17 percent said they would limit abortion only to cases where a woman's life is in danger and 5 percent said abortions should never be permitted.
The Alan Guttmacher Institute, a research group affiliated with Planned Parenthood, conducted a comprehensive survey in 2004 to find out why women have abortions.
Asked to list the most important reason for the abortion, just 4.5 percent of women cited rape, incest or the pregnancy causing life-threatening or severe health problems. Just .5 percent of women said the abortion was because they were a victim of rape.
As a result, 55 percent of those polled indicated they oppose 95 percent or more of the 1.3 million abortions annually in the United States.
Just 42 percent in the CBS News poll indicated they support legalized abortion, with 27 percent saying abortion should be permitted in all cases. Some 15 percent indicated they backed legal abortion but believed it should be "subject to greater restrictions than it is now."
That means 70 percent of Americans in the CBS News poll believe greater limits should be placed on abortions.
CBS News conducted the same poll in July 2005 and found a 53-43 percent pro-life breakdown on abortion -- a net change of 3 percent in favor of the pro-life position n the January 2006 poll.
Try not using a source called "Abortion TV" that uses stats that are 5 years old and skews them into their own words.

95% of abortions are NOT performed as a means of birth control. Guttmacher Institute Report from 2008, no commentary, just the stats:

Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States

54% of women were using a contraceptive method.

Abortion is NOT legal up to 9 months for any reason due to mental health. That is an outright lie from your propaganda site. Look up the actual laws.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
wjtwet are you ok? You seem to have let this subject consume you from the day you joined this forum. Sorry I probably should have pm'd.

I doubt anything posted here will cause the posters to change their opinions on this highly debated subject. I think the happiness this procedure has brought to some families outweighs our posts. The decision to abort will be made by the woman who seeks a professional to perform the procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies