Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You should research a little bit before looking foolish. Nature is not that clear-cut. Gender identity is not always determined by the simple existence or non-existence of a penis.
There is nothing physically wrong with the boy. He is physically a normal 8 year old male. He has mental problems since he cannot come to terms with this FACT. His parents only exacerbate the problem by overlooking and adding to his confusion rather than getting him the necessary mental help HE requires.

Quote:
Why is it anybody else's business besides the child and his/her parents?
Because that is the whole point of the this thread, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I see absolutely no problem with allowing children to express themselves. It isn't going to hurt somebody if that the un-named child wears dresses, is it?

Oh no. Heaven forbid somebody be exposed to a person who might differ from the "norm." (End Sarcasm)
This. 1000 times this.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I know a few transgendered people, and they were never truly happy until they were able to live as their perceived gender. Most have gone on to have reassignment surgery, as I am sure this child will eventually do.

Good on her parents for acknowledging what the child has know all along. I hope she grows up happy, healthy, and secure in herself.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
I see no issues with allowing the kid freedom to express how he feels. That said, I would be very wary about what some parents are doing in these instances by allowing their children to start hormone therapy before puberty or adulthood. I don't necessarily think that the child is best-served by making such a momentous choice before they're an adult. Major changes such as sex-change surgery and hormone therapy should wait until the child is an adult and can make an educated decision for themselves.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
There is nothing physically wrong with the boy. He is physically a normal 8 year old male. He has mental problems since he cannot come to terms with this FACT. His parents only exacerbate the problem by overlooking and adding to his confusion rather than getting him the necessary mental help HE requires.
The only treatment as of now for gender dysphoria is gender reassessment surgery and/or hormones.

And the parents did get her the mental help she needed, and the medical professionals said that this was necessary.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
they make medication for this, but it's for the parents. it's called morphine.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
I like how they keep saying "her."

Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I like how they keep saying "her."
Because it's her true gender.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

I know several women with penises. rosie o'donnell for 1. I am sure society with view this creature as a she when it's taking a leak in a urinal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Because it's her true gender.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Why is it so hard for you conservatives to understand what is happening with this kid? It is a genetic disorder. You brain is hardwired according to DNA. This poor kid's DNA is telling him he is a girl.
Then treat that mental problem rather than subjecting him to physical disfigurement.

Quote:
I know science is a no-no in good ol' Christian country, but really, there isn't a God up there floating around on a cloud, and he didn't make the universe in seven days.
What the hell does Christianity have to do with this?

Quote:
It just angers me that you will get a response this ignorant and this mean from a good lovin Evangelical that is the one that is supposedly "normal"
I didn't know that I was an Evangelical. Thanks for informing me of this! And all along I was under the impression that I am a lapsed Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Did you even read the article? The child has been seeing a counselor! The counselor has stated that this is the way to handle it.
Yes, I read it. Rather than actually dealing with a problem that is mental in nature, this counselor feels that the best thing to do is to ignore it and instead say that the problem is physical in nature (i.e. he SHOULD have been born a girl). Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies