Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

They didn't happen to find this thing in Piltdown, did they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No i think this one was found in another villiage just a bit down the street

Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
My link wasn't good enough?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If recounting a nearly 100 year old scam makes you feel better...

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
This isn't political but science. If someone wants to popularize it then it'll be political. Otherwise philosophy and science should be separated.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If recounting a nearly 100 year old scam makes you feel better...
Jeez, humorless much?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm far from being an Evolutionary Scientist, but to me evolution is the simplest explanation.
Intermediate steps are problematic, though. If mutations are completely random, the method by which two large dots appear on the wings of certain butterflies to mimic the eyes of a predatory bird (in order to scare away smaller birds) is very questionable. Random mutations supposedly would make many "mistakes" before this solution is accidentally arrived at. If you imagine those mistakes or draw them out, you will see some ludicrous "random" attempts before you reach "survival of the fittest" worthiness level. In fact, it would take up to millions of variations that utterly fail before the correct "random" solution is arrived at.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
I don't recall what program I heard this on (most likely National Geographic or one of the Discovery channels) but, it said that chimpanzee blood could actually be used in humans...that it was the only animal that had the same blood as humans.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
momonkey wrote (excerpts only shown);

Quote:
Except that a bunch of very excited scientists are now going to maybe get research grants, I'm not sure what the story is here. First of all, when someone is that excited about a lemur skeleton watch your wallet.
What evidence do you have that this is "just a lemur skeleton"? What's wrong with grants to further science? Pure "science" in and of itself seldom has any purely marketable outcome. The most glaring exception is pharmaceuticals, which due to the heavy hand of government has a huge market and is substantially market capital funded. The rest; nuclear weapons, advanced aircraft and aeronautics, deep sea exploration are often government grant funded.

Quote:
That they claim it is a transitional species is based on the same speculation that most other opinion driven science is as well.
"Opinion driven science"? Is this a talking point from the creationists? Why the need to constantly denigrate science and intellectual curiosity?

Quote:
We were not their to know one way or another. Did monkeys evolve from lemurs? If your an evolutionist, they had to have. If your a creationist, possibly, but not necessarily.
I'm not sure anyone is saying that monkeys evolved from Lemurs, and despite the ravings of some no one with any understanding of science, not Scopes, not Darwin, said men descended from apes, only that they had a "common ancestor".

Quote:
Could we breed lemurs to get chimpanzees in a relatively short period of time?
I don't think we could cross breed any animals and get any other species in a "short period". (saying "time" is unnessesary)

Quote:
Always found Evolution to be a little light on standing for that reason.
OK, "you" found it to be "light on standing". Most scientists don't. HOw much of a science education do you have?

Quote:
Another reason is that questioning the conclusions of evolutionary scientists is not allowed. They really flip out if you question their conclusions
Since evolution is a "theory" (note, do not confuse "theory" with "idea" or "concept" as many conservatives do), evolutionary scientists don't have "conclusions" per se. Do you have any evidence of this "flipping out"? Although I'll admit most scientists, like humans in every other field are very protective of their "turf" which includes the theories that they have based their work upon.

Quote:
For my money it's just too easy to verify common ancestors of different species to need all that mutation mumbo-jumbo.
Please, "mumbo jumbo"? If you want to be taken seriously in a discussion of science do not continue to denigrate science, scientific inquiry and other forms of "book learnin".

Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm a drivability mechanic, but I alway prefer the simple explanation over the complicated one.
By "simple" do you mean "god says it, I believe it, that settles it"? Or do you mean that studying "hard science" is too much of a slog for me"?

I would like to suggest you read Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". It's a "science" book for people like me (and probably you) who are a bit smart, but not "science smart". It will also guide you to some very readable books on any subject you may choose.

And one other little thing. "Their" is possessive. So, it's "we were not "there".

golfgod

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This isn't political but science. If someone wants to popularize it then it'll be political. Otherwise philosophy and science should be separated.
well, there is a controversial aspect in the way it's being hyped. did you happen to go to google today?

new york times:
Quote:
But the event, which will coincide with the publishing of a peer-reviewed article about the find, is the first stop in a coordinated, branded media event, orchestrated by the scientists and the History Channel, including a film detailing the secretive two-year study of the fossil, a book release, an exclusive arrangement with ABC News and an elaborate Web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies