Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
As a result, today's Democratic party is more closely aligned with Goldwater's conservative view points than the Republican party is.
But there is still an ocean of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:04 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I grew up we were told that Barry Goldwater wanted to send black people back to Africa. As I grew to be more politically aware and think for my self, I tried to find out what politicians actually said . Barry Gold water once said all good Christians should kick Jerry Falwell in the a$$. He also had an African American Female as his Senate aid at a time when many Republicans would maybe allow an African American female to work as their Domestic. He was also an early conservative supporter of ; Gay Rights, Abortion Rights, The 1957 and 1960 civil rights acts, The NAACP, and Medical Marijuana. Why cant' the Republican Party reinvent it self around Barry Goldwater ?

Got a link or should we just take your word for it?

PS, everyone knows the Democrats were the real racist who fought the civil right bill of 1964 tooth and nail. Byrd filibustered it fo 14 hours strait all by himself. Now that's some bling mindless racist hate at work there! I can't think of anything I want to do for 14 hours strait. George Wallace was a Democrat too. Abe Lincoln on the other hand was a Republican.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Because the GOP is in a catch 22 position. Their fiscal policies are not good for the middle class.
Yeah, what are those evil Republicans thinking letting working people keep more of their own money, instead of giving it to government to waste.

Now if you're one of the people who just wants to take from government and get "free stuff" paid for by other people's money, then I could see how you'd be against the GOP's fiscal policies.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Got a link or should we just take your word for it?

PS, everyone knows the Democrats were the real racist who fought the civil right bill of 1964 tooth and nail. Byrd filibustered it fo 14 hours strait all by himself. Now that's some bling mindless racist hate at work there! I can't think of anything I want to do for 14 hours strait. George Wallace was a Democrat too. Abe Lincoln on the other hand was a Republican.
LBJ did a major smear job on Goldwater, which resulted in all sorts of crazy rumors about him being floated around.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yeah, what are those evil Republicans thinking letting working people keep more of their own money, instead of giving it to government to waste.
Really depends on who is keeping their own money, bro.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I'd vote for a truly libertarian Goldwater-ite Republican party. Good luck finding any such Republicans left. Ron Paul, Jeff Flake perhaps. A lot of them, like John Dean and Victor Gold, probably no longer identify as Republicans, although they would identify as Goldwater conservatives. Dean stated "I'm a Goldwater conservative, which makes me left of center these days." Al Franken, though not himself a conservative, said in a similar vein that in today's America the Democratic Party is both the more liberal and the more conservative party. And Howard Dean said of the Bush gang "These people are not conservatives, they are incompetent radicals." I'd rather take my chances of converting Democrats to a more libertarian view than trying to talk down the nutcase Jae-zus freaks who are foaming at the mouth for WW3.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
But there is still an ocean of difference.
Yes. That's right.. The Dems are more like the Goldwater conservatives, and the GOP is so far right that they no longer represent "conservatism" but have morphed into something else.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I always thought of G.H. Bush as a type of Goldwater Conservative. His first campaign manager ,James Baker was a Democrat before G.H. Bush asked to help him win, Maybe a Senate race? He switched parties to work for G.H. Bush. Bush also supported some civil rights legislation which caused him a lot flack in Texas as you can imagine in the Sixties. By the time Lee Atwater came into the picture, some Republicans probably thought he's not one of us, but they knew it was a new day for Republican politics

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I grew up we were told that Barry Goldwater wanted to send black people back to Africa. As I grew to be more politically aware and think for my self, I tried to find out what politicians actually said . Barry Gold water once said all good Christians should kick Jerry Falwell in the a$$. He also had an African American Female as his Senate aid at a time when many Republicans would maybe allow an African American female to work as their Domestic. He was also an early conservative supporter of ; Gay Rights, Abortion Rights, The 1957 and 1960 civil rights acts, The NAACP, and Medical Marijuana. Why cant' the Republican Party reinvent it self around Barry Goldwater ?
Well its like this . The party structure is such that you start at the very grass roots "neighborhood" precinct caucuses and decide on the party platform and work youre way through the county state and national, whom ever is the best at grass roots organizing pretty much decides what the party will look like and stand for. Goldwater's liberal stance on social issues are not in line with the majority of people that do not consider the Democrat party an option. It is really that simple. However if all those Libertarians ever got sick of never winning an election and joined the republican party, they could probably actually make a difference!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
However if all those Libertarians ever got sick of never winning an election and joined the republican party, they could probably actually make a difference!
To what end? To replace one bunch of *******s with another bunch of *******s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies