Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

Women's clinics see rise in calls and visits - Los Angeles Times

sign of the times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Very interesting article. It is so obvious that the economy is having more to do with these problems than before.

I want to call your attention to the fact that here in Kansas the legislature has passed a bill taking most of the money from Planned Parenthood. This is, I think, because they are solidly controlled by Republicans. Also, we just got rid of our governor, Kathleen Sebelius, who is now working for Obama in trying to get his health care plan installed.

Now Ms. Sebelius had a Lt. Governor who had been a Republican but changed parties to run with her the last time. He is seeming less Democrat than people thought he would be. Anyway, yesterday the Planned Parenthood people demonstrated in the state capitol to get him to veto that law that took the money away from them. It isn't a lot of money but one has to remember that we have one of the best known late term abortionist in the nation, in George Tiller. It is a very mixed up problem but I don't think he will do the veto even though he won't be running for the office next time. He seems to be more Republican on this issue than Democrat.

Here we have some trying to help people and some trying to stop that. I believe that there are better ways to do the whole thing than to be involved with abortion, but that is just my thinking.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Apparently you know very little about Planned Parenthood.
Less than 3% of their services are abortion related.
They provide health care on a sliding scale. You'd be interested to know that the Richard Scaife, that bastion of republicanism, contributes to planned parenthood.
With the economy as it is, medical services are still required.

But, another thread that is anti planned parenthood.
They benefit when this happens because I send $100 to support women and their health care.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Very interesting article. It is so obvious that the economy is having more to do with these problems than before.
Yeah, when the economy is down then more women decide "there is no way I can afford a kid right now".

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you know very little about Planned Parenthood. Less than 3% of their services are abortion related.
Many people know nothing about Planned Parenthood beyond what the disinformation media might dishonestly tell them. Planned Parenthood receives state and federal funds only through the disbursement of jointly funded block grants on contracts for provision of Title X and Medicaid family planning and other health services that PP happens to be the largest national provider of. In many areas, they are the only capable provider. What a shock that states end up contracting with them. The only abortion-related public funding that PP receives would be under court-ordered provisions pertaining to the handful of procedures perfomed each year for indigent women facing life-threatening conditions. Despite these court orders, only about half of the states billed for these services actually end up paying for them. PP simply eats the loss on the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But, another thread that is anti planned parenthood. They benefit when this happens because I send $100 to support women and their health care.
Good work! More should follow your fine example! It's easy to do...just click here to get started...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yeah, when the economy is down then more women decide "there is no way I can afford a kid right now".
Or they lose their jobs and/or health insurance and can't afford to go to the gynecologist or buy birth control pills.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

I want to call your attention to the fact that here in Kansas the legislature has passed a bill taking most of the money from Planned Parenthood. This is, I think, because they are solidly controlled by Republicans. Also, we just got rid of our governor, Kathleen Sebelius, who is now working for Obama in trying to get his health care plan installed.

Now Ms. Sebelius had a Lt. Governor who had been a Republican but changed parties to run with her the last time. He is seeming less Democrat than people thought he would be. Anyway, yesterday the Planned Parenthood people demonstrated in the state capitol to get him to veto that law that took the money away from them. It isn't a lot of money but one has to remember that we have one of the best known late term abortionist in the nation, in George Tiller. It is a very mixed up problem but I don't think he will do the veto even though he won't be running for the office next time. He seems to be more Republican on this issue than Democrat.

Here we have some trying to help people and some trying to stop that. I believe that there are better ways to do the whole thing than to be involved with abortion, but that is just my thinking.
George Tiller does not work for Planned Parenthood.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Or they lose their jobs and/or health insurance and can't afford to go to the gynecologist or buy birth control pills.
Exactly!
Last month the Planned Parenthood in my area was offering discounted STD testing.
I know a lot of people who go to Planned Parenthood because they offer their services on a sliding scale versus if you go to to the doctor, everyone has to pay the same fee, regardless of their income.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post

Yep! I went to PP a few years back when my old company shut down and my insurance disappeared. It was a HUGE help considering I have medical issues that require BC.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
PP is a lifesaver for young women no longer on their parents health insurance, maybe attending school part time or working an entry level job that doesn't provide benefits. It's not an abortion issue any more than going to any other OBGYN is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies